Dish Network Press Conference - Live Coverage

Well, the purpose of the CES is to show off your new tech gadgets. I am not surprised at the lack of programming discussion. (not to say that direct was one of the first to talk 100+ HD channels at a CES show...)

The SlingMonitor is going to be a new product released. Its a branded 14" LCD monitor that has wifi built in, and the 922 will be able to transmit HD to it via wifi.

The press conference is over. Pictures will be coming shortly.

i could do this in 2000 with my ReplayTV - i will not pay for a 2nd Dish receiver until this is supported.

Dude, if I had an egg for every time someone mentions some feature they used to have on their ReplayTV, I would already be dead from Cholesterol poisoning. ;)

Ted

So will the 922 be able to sling HD to another TV or just to this SlingMonitor thing?

Someone who knows more than I do can help here:

To remotely view TV using sling, you need two pieces:

--A SlingBox or Sling-loaded device such as the new 922.
--A SlingCatching device, which could be a computer or smart phone running the proper software, or a separate stand-alone Sling-Catcher or the new SlingMonitor.

AT THIS POINT, there is a SlingBox HD and there is the 922, which are capable of "slinging" HD, but I do NOT think there is anything capable of Catching in HD. I believe this is mostly a matter of bandwidth.

I have been told by Sling Engineers that the Sling Catcher will be able to catch HD at some point, and I assume that the Sling Monitor would be as well.

Dissapointed in:

- No 2 TV HD capability.
- No good explanation on the benefits of the touchpad
- Worst: No new HD!

But CES isn't over. Maybe another announcement later. Might as well make as many big splashes as possible to get the most press.

Historically, yes. However, since the box is internet enabled, they could very well do it VoIP.

There's really no need to. Doing it over satellite is more efficient. Even that XStreamHD thing was supposed to do the majority of the downloading over satellite.

And doing it over IP would leave out a lot of people. DISH has high penetration in rural areas, where true broadband isn't available. I'm on Wildblue myself. I can hook an STB up to get guide data, or surf the web, or run weather widgets or what have you. Maybe even download something of my choosing. But start pulling1080p movies through that connection all day, and it gets useless pretty quick, plus I'd get FAPed withing a day or 2.

The main barrier to offering large VOD selections over satellite is storage space, not satellite bandwidth. Running it all over IP is just going to make things more complicated and clog things up.

You think people are mad about have a chunk of their HD not available to them...wait until they start putting in an extra tuner just for VOD, so they can fill that thing 24/7. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if someone cracked this 922 open and found one.

Thanks for the nice write-up, HokieEngineer. I looked for the video feed but couldn't find it. Your recap was a great alternative!

The SlingMonitor is going to be a new product released. Its a branded 14" LCD monitor that has wifi built in, and the 922 will be able to transmit HD to it via wifi.

The press conference is over. Pictures will be coming shortly.

What's the point in HD on a 14inch LCD? LOL And I thought the 20 inch range HD LCD's were a joke.

Someone who knows more than I do can help here:

To remotely view TV using sling, you need two pieces:

--A SlingBox or Sling-loaded device such as the new 922.
--A SlingCatching device, which could be a computer or smart phone running the proper software, or a separate stand-alone Sling-Catcher or the new SlingMonitor.

AT THIS POINT, there is a SlingBox HD and there is the 922, which are capable of "slinging" HD, but I do NOT think there is anything capable of Catching in HD. I believe this is mostly a matter of bandwidth.

I have been told by Sling Engineers that the Sling Catcher will be able to catch HD at some point, and I assume that the Sling Monitor would be as well.

In post #20, hokieengineer says it will have full DLNA support. That's how they're going to do this.

DLNA is a new standard for home A/V networking. It's pretty nifty, if it works as described. It basically means that the 922 can serve up its content over ethernet to any DLNA device on the network. That device can be your PS3, Blu-Ray player, or TV, or any of a number of different kinds of devices. So if you have an HDTV downstairs with just a PS3, as long as it's connected via ethernet you can watch shows that the 922 recorded.

My one caveat is that I haven't seen definitively that HD material can be streamed. But the latest DLNA specs say that DLNA-certified devices that can receive video must be AVC (MPEG-4) compatible, so I assume that HD can be streamed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)