Dish Network Programming Update

Thursday will just be interesting all around. New channels or let downs. Also the package names change and prices change. However this is from a retailer/installers point of view.

Thursdays big or not so big annoucements will be the deciding factor for me whether I am jumping to D*. It just seems to me there has been more bad news than good for the past year.

In my oh so humble opinion.

Last edited:
So i guess i signed up for E* right at the perfect time 18 months ago so now i can jump to D* if things go south for E*.

Looking forward to Thursday. I emailed the ceo address a few monthes agao and had an interesting conversation with the person respondiing. Was hoping I could strike a deal where I wouldnt have to pay the 199 up fron to upgrade to the 622. Never worked out. Well, with all this talk about Feb 1st, I emailed him again and asked him if I should wait until after the 1st to upgrade and he said that I would be smart to wait. He didnt give me any clues though, but did say he would know more after the first.

My only complaint with E* is that I still dont have my locals, Tulsa, in HD yet. Was REALLY hoping I would hae them for the Superbowl, Daytona 500 and March Madness, but it looks like I will have to wait till next year....

Just my opinion, but I don't see anything here that is making me want to jump ship to D* just yet. Maybe when D* has it's new birds actually in the air AND they actually get ahead in the HD race, but until then there doesn't seem to be any reason to rush over there.

... an hd channel actually broadcasting, is worth two in the planning stages.

Looking forward to Thursday. I emailed the ceo address a few monthes agao and had an interesting conversation with the person respondiing. Was hoping I could strike a deal where I wouldnt have to pay the 199 up fron to upgrade to the 622. Never worked out. Well, with all this talk about Feb 1st, I emailed him again and asked him if I should wait until after the 1st to upgrade and he said that I would be smart to wait. He didnt give me any clues though, but did say he would know more after the first.

My only complaint with E* is that I still dont have my locals, Tulsa, in HD yet. Was REALLY hoping I would hae them for the Superbowl, Daytona 500 and March Madness, but it looks like I will have to wait till next year....

I think Okc and Tulsa have a good chance of being added this year.

... an hd channel actually broadcasting, is worth two in the planning stages.
Exactly!

D* is already broadcasting our locals in HD, while E* is still in the planning stages. And I might add...

... a couple of HD channels you want to watch are worth a dozen that you don't. :)

Talon Dancer

Can they realistically turn on any channels that aren't right now uplinked, given that February 1 is Thursday?

And are these HD channels we're talking about?

Sometimes channels go live even withoutan uplink period.

BTW for some reason A&E HD is in MPEG2 (but only available to VIP receivers) in addition I am told that the resolution is 1280 x 1080 which puts it in the VOOM range of PQ. (But not that it matters I have yet to see any HD on it anyways) (I get it from AT&T U-VERSE)

The native rez of A&E is 1280x720p, so if dish has it different, then it's set wrong

Exactly!

D* is already broadcasting our locals in HD, while E* is still in the planning stages. And I might add...

... a couple of HD channels you want to watch are worth a dozen that you don't. :)

Talon Dancer

If that's your situation, then that is definitely something to consider.

My point was mainly that if a subscriber was thinking of switching from one company to the other on the basis of what was planned for 9,10,11 months down the line, it would probably make sense to wait until they are actually doing what they said they would do.

I wouldn't recommend to anyone to switch from D* to E*, or vice-versa, because they may offer the locals (or hd channels, or sports package, etc) you already get sometime next year.

I like dish, but I'm not so gung-ho that I wouldn't consider switching if everything fell into place. As a matter of fact, there are things about D* that have me interested, but I feel like it makes the most sense to go with the provider that meets more of my needs NOW.

Whether its Dish, Directv, Comcast, or Verizon, I just want the channels I want, on a stable receiver, at a reasonable price. They are all different, and you would probably have to sacrifice something (a channel you like, a receiver you like, a price you like) whichever you choose.

I think Okc and Tulsa have a good chance of being added this year.

That was another part of the conversation I had with the "ceo" guy. They were scheduled for the last quarter of 06, he told me it would likely be the first quarter of 07. I keep my hopes up, so maybe this spring they will be up. It just kills me though to not have the Super Bowl in HD. :confused:

That was another part of the conversation I had with the "ceo" guy. They were scheduled for the last quarter of 06, he told me it would likely be the first quarter of 07. I keep my hopes up, so maybe this spring they will be up. It just kills me though to not have the Super Bowl in HD. :confused:

Are you too far from Tulsa to use OTA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)