Dish Network Programming Update

"Move" 10 miles!!

A lot of Eau Claire people on here. I am getting hooked up with dish on the 5th of Feb since they have the free vip receiver. I used to be with Dave a few years back. Since I live in Eau Claire I am hoping to do what i did with Dave, which is to have my service address and billing address different. My service address will, of course, be in Elk Mound or Menomonie which will give me the MPLS/St Paul locals in HD and my bill will still come to my address in Eau Claire.

The calm before the storm! I think a lot of us will be disappointed with whatever new channels they add. I'm hoping for my RSN but I doubt that we'll see them soon.

I think a lot of us will be disappointed with whatever new channels they add.

I hope you're wrong but I have a feeling you're right. It looks like the general consensus here is that any HD channel besides A&E would be nice.

The recent mpeg4 activity is a glimmer of hope for things to come but I don't expect a lot to happen in one week.

My guess is that this week's uplink activity will show a couple more current hd channels switching over to the new mpeg4 encoders, a couple new SD channels for AT200 and higher and no new HD channels.

It would make sense for E* to be adding some new channels since there doing some price hikes but who will be willing to do buisness with E* after all there contract problems. My guess would probably be some third rate channels no one ever heard of. ( I hope they prove me wrong though:) )

This is funny...of all the HD channels E* doesnt have, the consensus LEAST desired HD channel seems to be A&E HD...yet they get ready to throw us HD folks a bone, and which one do they pick? A&E HD. Great call, Dish!!!

This is funny...of all the HD channels E* doesnt have, the consensus LEAST desired HD channel seems to be A&E HD...yet they get ready to throw us HD folks a bone, and which one do they pick? A&E HD. Great call, Dish!!!

I agree, Charlie must of got it for free.:rolleyes:

No kidding I would much rather have these first...

1. RSN
2. cinemax
3. MHD
4. Outdoor channel 2 hd

I'll add the Sportsman channel, a deal for Big Ten network, and SV channels to come back to that as well.

Outdoor channel has gone a bit downhill for the hunting and fishing fans, plus the men's channel is starting to go that way too. Not complaining about those 2 channels, but 24/7 hunting and fishing is my dream!

91 miles to Tulsa
130 to OKC

So yea, I think it is to far.

That just depends on how much money you want to spend. I rented a house for a while that had a huge antenna. I was about 120 miles away from Orlando and could pick up Orlando locals. As long as the land is flat, you should be able to buy an antenna strong enough.

That just depends on how much money you want to spend. I rented a house for a while that had a huge antenna. I was about 120 miles away from Orlando and could pick up Orlando locals. As long as the land is flat, you should be able to buy an antenna strong enough.

Well, it's quite "hilly" in this area and on top of that, I dont want to spen any money on an antenna. I will just bite the bullet and wait till they are added to *E. The first thing I have to do is get the wifey talked into the 622! :D

Well, it's quite "hilly" in this area and on top of that, I dont want to spen any money on an antenna. I will just bite the bullet and wait till they are added to *E. The first thing I have to do is get the wifey talked into the 622! :D

from what i've heard of folks who have hd locals, they'll pefer the antenna than the dish. they compress the signal and make it hd lite. some have noticed a huge difference, while others have no difference at all.

unless your in a valley of the hilly area, as the signals are on line of sight, and can go out very far.

Channel Master makes some good antennas that have range of 100+ miles for not much over $100. As other posters have said, the quality of the OTA locals will be better than what E* is offering anyway. You might call a local installer and see what they think. Maybe you could get an install for a couple hundred bucks.

I used a vhf / uhf from channel master that I got from lowes, rated at 35 miles for uhf, 75 miles for vhf, and was picking up wraz out of raleigh (about 65 miles away) on channel 50.1 (uhf) at 70% with an amp from walmart (20 bucks). Antenna was only 35.

Theres also a nice uhf from radio shack (dont remember brand...) for 25 that gives 75 mile on uhf.

I mounted them in the attic (actually ones just sitting on the floor) and get great signals (all channels are 70% signal up to 100%)...

I even live near an airport. The quality is amazing...

Thanks for the info all, but I can't afford or even justify the extra money to the wife. One day when my child support is done, I will have everything I want, until then, I will appreciate crappy HD ov SD anytime...! :haha :haha :haha