DISH NETWORK® UNVEILS BIGGEST HIGH DEFINITION UPGRADE IN TV HISTORY

Let me play devil's advocate on the 150 channels by end of year. Where in the world are they getting the capacity to do this?

they must know something that the rest of us don't. i still find this to be great news though.

So the next question is how many 1080p movies can Dish squeeze on to their partition on a current 622 or 722? Will they stop sending me SD movies that I will NEVER watch at $4.99 each? If I can rent real DVDs cheaper at my local video store or at Redbox, do they REALLY think that I would spend that much to rent a movie that isn't even DVD quality?

Now with 1080p, if the quality is on par with Blu-ray, they may have something - as long as they have a good selection and it is reasonably priced.

Lets get the new channels first looking good, Then we can worry about 1080p. I must say my E* PQ seems to have gotten a little better. Mpeg 2 ,Not so much! If I had some equipment problem that went undetected, it fixed its self. Seems like my HD PQ is back to normal. At some point there it was really bad IMO. But last night I was watching Cinemax ,and the HD PQ was better the D* Cinemax. 5 star max was great.

I'll ask this question again. (Apologies if I missed the answer in this thread somewhere)

I thought it had been said many times before today that only the 722 was capable of receiveing HD VOD...does this now mean that the 622 will also be able to receive the 1080p HD VOD?!?

I agree with Scott this news is big in several parts:

1) It seems now at least the 622s can do VOD and 1080p, this is new;

2) Two more new HDs on the menu, this is new;

3) 150 HDs by end of year, this is new, E* never made such claim before. I don't care how they do the math, 150-130=15 still calls for that many new HDs (and I intentionally worked the number too:)).

4) Blu-ray quality HD movies, this is also new.

Now it is also true that we must wait to find out how true the above will be, but from the standpoint of new and big, I don't think we can deny it.

So glad I did not fall for the Blu-ray scam.

Curious as to what "Earth Shattering" news would have to be? 10,000 HD channels for FREE?

I'll ask this question again. (Apologies if I missed the answer in this thread somewhere)

I thought it had been said many times before today that only the 722 was capable of receiveing HD VOD...does this now mean that the 622 will also be able to receive the 1080p HD VOD?!?

yes

How many 1080p VOD titles can be stored on a ViP622 HD? At 20-50gb I would have to guess only 1 or 2. Either than or they're going to compress the h*ll out of them.

Hey Dish how about a little help here. I have been a Dish subscriber since 96 but unless the Indianapolis local HDTV market is one of the 150 channels I will reluctantly have to switch to Directv. Why should I watch my games in sd or be forced to "move" due to lack of local HD coverage for Indianapolis when I am paying $145 a month? Directv has all the Indy locals in HD and all it takes is a phone call and a hundred and fifty bucks to switch and enjoy the Colts in HD. I have been loyal to Dish for all these years and I hate to go but come on Dish Network - South Bend Indiana ahead of Indianapolis is insulting.

As a former Dish subscriber, I did not find this as a big news. 150 HD channels? How many of them subscriber will be able to receive? We know, that RSNs are not national channels with Dish. So there is some fuzzy math here. We are talking at most 120 channels subscriber can get. With D* all channels will be available. THey are reaching to that D* magic number, fuzzy math helps a bit, but in reality they are still behind the HD leader.

As I recall, what had been discussed was that only the 722 could do HD VOD that came across on the internet. I don't think anyone (except maybe Scott) saw this development coming. The difference, from what I can tell, is the delivery method. This announcement is for satellite delivery of VOD content that is pushed to your harddrive, rather than streaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)