DISH Network Reports Third Quarter 2010 Financial Results

Lets see. Direct adds 170,000 net subs, Dish loses 29,000 net subs (the second quarter in a row of sub losses), and you conclude that receivers fees did not have a big effect because they did not lose as much as OTHERS on this forum thought they would? Should they not have been adding subs instead of losing subs for 2 consecutive quarters (and it WILL be 3 consecutive when the next report comes out)?

Since the trend is losing net subscribers, no the equipment fees didn't cause anywhere near the churn the naysayers about Dish had kept telling us we would all see.

Dish is still very profitable and is still providing the most national HD channels to those of us not hung up on sports and PPV.

That is true, but at the rate they are going, if nothing changes, it will take a very long time for that to happen.
Let me clarify. I am not predicting that dish WILL continue to lose subs, I am commenting on a specific point made by another poster. IF they do continue to lose subs, THEN their profits will also go down.

Usually there is a negative correlation between sub gain and profit. That only occurs up to a certain point. Lose too many subs and the correlation becomes positive

Since the trend is losing net subscribers, no the equipment fees didn't cause anywhere near the churn the naysayers about Dish had kept telling us we would all see.

Dish is still very profitable and is still providing the most national HD channels to those of us not hung up on sports and PPV.
They will not be profitable if they keep losing subs.

actually u quitting should HELP dish network not hurt it
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

They will not be profitable if they keep losing subs.

...and if the sun don't shine, it won't be bright! :)

Overall, you are correct. But here's something to mull over. If they lost more of the low-end subs, say all the HD Absolute (for example), it could be argued they would make more profit because they got rid of the lo-ball subscriber, that could be a good thing for Dish.

Over the last year they've increased I think, I remember the big deal they made about hitting 14 m around December last year. The two gain quarters were alot bigger than the two loss quarters. Big picture they're doing fine.

Over the last year they've increased I think, I remember the big deal they made about hitting 14 m around December last year. The two gain quarters were alot bigger than the two loss quarters. Big picture they're doing fine.
The last 4 quarters combined, Dish has gained 438,000 net subs. Yes, during a one year period, they did very well. This was mainly as a result of one very strong quarter during their "Why Pay More?" campaign. Probably correlating with the advertising. If so, it shows that good advertising helps.

When the Q4 report comes out the yearly numbers will not look that good (the actual fiscal year of 2010) as they WILL lose more in Q4 than Q3

The last 4 quarters combined, Dish has gained 438,000 net subs. Yes, during a one year period, they did very well. This was mainly as a result of one very strong quarter during their "Why Pay More?" campaign. Probably correlating with the advertising. If so, it shows that good advertising helps.

When the Q4 report comes out the yearly numbers will not look that good (the actual fiscal year of 2010) as they WILL lose more in Q4 than Q3

You can see the future too?

Was going to call in and listen, but then we had a fire in our building on a lower floor and were evacuated for a bit. When I got back up it was already 12:20 to late to call in.

Dont know if this belongs here

Over 2000 posts by you and you and you are not sure if that post belongs in this thread, the answer is no it has nothing to do with Dish's 3'rd quarter report. :confused:

The FSNs (and other Fox properties) weren't down in Q3. The channels went dark on October 1st and lit back up on October 29th. Any impact from the Fox spat will likely show up in Q4 or later.

which is why I said "won't have an effect" instead of "didn't have an effect". "Won't" would presume at a later date. If I had wanted or meant to have my statement mean that the FSN takedown had an effect on the 3rd quarter numbers I would have said "then my guess is that FSN's being down for a few weeks didn't have the mass drop effect either."

Looks like Echo7 is starting it's trend...

EchoStar VII. EchoStar VII, which is being used as an in-orbit spare, was designed with four gyros, three of which are required to properly control the positioning of the satellite. During October 2010, EchoStar VII experienced an anomaly which caused one of the gyros to stop functioning. While this anomaly is not expected to reduce the estimated useful life of the satellite to less than 12 years and has not impacted operation of the satellite to date, there can be no assurance that future anomalies will not cause further losses which could impact operation of the satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts