DISH Network Reports Third Quarter 2010 Financial Results

Don Landis said:
For me, Dish won the technology race between D* and E*. They also resolved my complaint with Blackouts on our Jaguar team, which DirecTV wasn't able to do with NFLST that I paid for for one season and every damn game except two were blacked out. It was a very expensive subscription for me.
I am interested to know what exactly the resolution was, as something here doesn't add up.

That 29,000 loss in customers - could this be part of the answer. Companies that were advertising on some FOX shows were told by their customers to quit because the racial bias or else they would quit buying their products. Most of those companies have pulled their ads but Dish continued because the rates were good and the audience was large.

Greg- When I subbed to NFLST, every game I wanted to watch except for 2 were blacked out. I've always been against Blackouts for people who pay to see a game. I accept blackouts on "free" TV but not when you pay, you should never be blacked out. In addition, that was the year DirecTV screwed up and accidentally blacked out Tampa market for me too. It was their error but their response was too bad no refunds on ST. a few years later Dish worked a deal with NFL for Red Zone and when our blackouts happen here I can still pay to watch. Only broadcast TV gets blacked out, not Red Zone. conclusion- DTV NFLST -you lose! Dish Red Zone- You win! Not only that but Watching all the Games on Red Zone, for me is far more efficient than ST ever was. I don't need to watch local TV commercials and other uninteresting activity. Red Zone wins, for me I prefer it that way. I respect others have to watch games no action to feel fulfilled but I don't. That's about as exact as I can put it for you. It adds up for me both in enjoyment of NFL as well as my wallet.

I think most of those issues are behind us. And it's hard to predict what the future is going to hold, but we do think the 198 number for this quarter is a bit of an aberration

was that 198 thousand number churn?

I suspect another bad quarter will follow (sub count). Dish has to have had some churn from the FOX dispute. Plus it always takes a few months for people to get around to changing providers after a rate hike. The loyalty credits ended late in the last quarter, so people did not have time to react to yet another rate increase. With the expiration of all the loyalty credits, Dish could make even more money.

Greg- When I subbed to NFLST, every game I wanted to watch except for 2 were blacked out. I've always been against Blackouts for people who pay to see a game. I accept blackouts on "free" TV but not when you pay, you should never be blacked out. In addition, that was the year DirecTV screwed up and accidentally blacked out Tampa market for me too. It was their error but their response was too bad no refunds on ST. a few years later Dish worked a deal with NFL for Red Zone and when our blackouts happen here I can still pay to watch. Only broadcast TV gets blacked out, not Red Zone. conclusion- DTV NFLST -you lose! Dish Red Zone- You win! Not only that but Watching all the Games on Red Zone, for me is far more efficient than ST ever was. I don't need to watch local TV commercials and other uninteresting activity. Red Zone wins, for me I prefer it that way. I respect others have to watch games no action to feel fulfilled but I don't. That's about as exact as I can put it for you. It adds up for me both in enjoyment of NFL as well as my wallet.
Every game except for two were blacked out? For some reason I am not buying that. Your area claims 30 NFL markets?

E is run by beancounters who care only about bigger profit.....:(
All companies are run by those that care about profits, and they should be. I would not want someone running a company that I invest in to not care about profits. That is how companies become successful, turn a profit

Beancounters have their place, but customer satisfaction is important too.

E got where they were by being a value TV provider.

But that went out of the window awhile ago:(

maybe for you (as we have heard over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again) but for the majority of us, it is still the value tv provider and works extremely well for us with very Little and few complaints. And while you continue to think you speak for the majority of Dish subs, you may hopefully someday come to the realization that you really don't!

Well I was around since the beginning of E were you?

While E has pushed up its $ per sub by elminating cheaper packages, adding fees etc.............

D is growing by offering more options.

and charlie is talking of cheaper packages........

does anything seem strange about all this?

Well I was around since the beginning of E were you?

While E has pushed up its $ per sub by elminating cheaper packages, adding fees etc.............

D is growing by offering more options.

and charlie is talking of cheaper packages........

does anything seem strange about all this?

Yes. Something does seem strange about this. That you are still in here whining about Dish on a daily basis when you not a current customer. That really does seem strange...

Obsess much? :)

Every game except for two were blacked out? For some reason I am not buying that. Your area claims 30 NFL markets?

Now come on DK, you're a lot smarter than that! I said every game except for two I wanted to watch were blacked out. Now is that so difficult to accept? It was a bad year for NFL here that year and after that they downsized our stadium to make it less prone to blackouts.

The way I see it, DirecTV doesn't negotiate price increases with their suppliers of programming. They accept rate increases and then pass along rate increases. Their equipment prices are the same but less capable. That is like paying for a Porsche but getting a VW for your money. When Dish obsoleted my 921, they gave me, for free, a 722 as a replacement. While they didn't give me back the $1000 I paid for that 921, at least they gave me an equally performing DVR. When my $1000 TIVO HR10-250 was obsoleted by DirecTV, I called them to find out what my recourse was and the outcome of that was I ended up with a 2 used hard drives and a hunk of metal and canceled my account. And this is my defense of how Dish treats it's valued customers. Contrary to the troll who comes here and tries to make it seem profits by a company is evil.

I just waiting my contract going to over in June 2012,and says hello to internet free TV..
Is just getting expensive this cable & satellite crap these days.

Dish Network will not see all their churn all at once as a result of their price increases on hardware additional outlet fees. They will see it little by little as they are seeing it now with around 20,000 to 30,000 subscriber loss. This is due to people being in contracts. One of these days Dish Network and Directv will smarten up and realize that they lose customers to each other way too often costing them too much money and not offer such a great incentive upfront but throughout their term as a customer for staying on and paying bills on time.

Now come on DK, you're a lot smarter than that! I said every game except for two I wanted to watch were blacked out. Now is that so difficult to accept? It was a bad year for NFL here that year and after that they downsized our stadium to make it less prone to blackouts.

The way I see it, DirecTV doesn't negotiate price increases with their suppliers of programming. They accept rate increases and then pass along rate increases. Their equipment prices are the same but less capable. That is like paying for a Porsche but getting a VW for your money. When Dish obsoleted my 921, they gave me, for free, a 722 as a replacement. While they didn't give me back the $1000 I paid for that 921, at least they gave me an equally performing DVR. When my $1000 TIVO HR10-250 was obsoleted by DirecTV, I called them to find out what my recourse was and the outcome of that was I ended up with a 2 used hard drives and a hunk of metal and canceled my account. And this is my defense of how Dish treats it's valued customers. Contrary to the troll who comes here and tries to make it seem profits by a company is evil.

So, you paid for an out-of-market package to see your local team?

Part of creating a profitable business is to provide a service that customers want, and this includes customer service. Dish will not be profiting if more customers were dissatisfied than satisfied.

Hall- That's how I feel. If you pay to watch, you should not be hit with Blackout. But as far as I know, there are no ways around the Blackout rules. Dish's NFL Red Zone channel is the best compromise solution and it works for me. Besides, it cheap too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)