DISH Network Reports Third Quarter 2010 Financial Results

Dish will show a Hugh 4th quarter loss and it has nothing to do with the fox dispute and alot to do with no full time rsn hd.

Look for a Hugh drop un profit and sub in the first quarter.

I havent reviewed this for churn number, but whatever churn is costs E 750 bucks each per new sub aquisition costs.

So E is on track to lose subs for 3 quarters in a row.......

sure all companies really want to shrink....:) espically when D is growing.

SHOWS REAL MANAGEMENT IS DOING GREAT:( NOT

Over the last year they've increased I think, I remember the big deal they made about hitting 14 m around December last year. The two gain quarters were alot bigger than the two loss quarters. Big picture they're doing fine.

next quarters report will likely see them under 14 million, given their current shrinkage, excellent marketing by D, bundling discounts E has little partners on this, carriage disputes, and the overall economy.

but hey if and when they turn things around they can have another party for exceeding 14 million......again

sky reports article this week said about 90% of north americans have no disposable income

Bob shall we have a bet that they do not fall below 14 million when they announce the 4th quarter numbers?

I think they will lose more then they did this quarter, but they will not fall below 14 million.

What is a Hugh 4th quarter loss? :)

Who is this Hugh and why is he being dropped or lost in the 4th Q?

As a shareholder, you have to be pleased. As a subscriber you have to think where does the point of making a profit (which they're entitled to) turn to the point of making an excessive profit? Fair service for a fair price seems to have tipped out of balance.

next quarters report will likely see them under 14 million, given their current shrinkage, excellent marketing by D, bundling discounts E has little partners on this, carriage disputes, and the overall economy.

but hey if and when they turn things around they can have another party for exceeding 14 million......again

sky reports article this week said about 90% of north americans have no disposable income
90%? How did they come up with this number?

Yeah, all of my students, 90% of which are considered socioeconomic disadvantaged in the lower to lower middle class (and in CA that is even more of a struggle), have parents that can somehow afford iPods, $200 shoes, Escalade, Big Screen TV's, and paid TV service. They have disposable income. Unfortunately these are the types of people who should not be disposing it, instead should be saving and investing it (partially why they are in the situation they are in)

Well, if they really said and meant "disposable income" (which is what you have left over from your income after you pay taxes) then perhaps they can explain exactly what feature of the US tax code confiscates the entirety of what someone earns. This may be in our future but AFAIK it's not here yet.

I can only think that perhaps they meant discretionary income.

What is a Hugh 4th quarter loss? :)

Sorry I was talking about a Hugh loss in subscribers to dish. Ie during the giants run to becoming world series champs dish did not have the pre and post game shows on comcast bay area in HD, because of this I know of at least 20 friends who droped dish and went with comcast. I believe it is the lack of full time rsn that will hurt dish in the long run.
Ps the majorty of my friends are not that into sports, but the giant run during september toward the world series made them big time giant fans.

Sorry I was talking about a Hugh loss in subscribers to dish. Ie during the giants run to becoming world series champs dish did not have the pre and post game shows on comcast bay area in HD, because of this I know of at least 20 friends who droped dish and went with comcast. I believe it is the lack of full time rsn that will hurt dish in the long run.
Ps the majorty of my friends are not that into sports, but the giant run during september toward the world series made them big time giant fans.

So Dish is in the middle of losing a "hugh" amount of subs because some people in San Francisco didn't get to see the Giants pre and post game shows on their RSN? Interesting. I just didn't realize that the rest of the country cared so much about S.F. Giants fans that they would also dump Dish in solidarity for the Giants fans not getting to see pre and post game shows during the baseball playoffs.

So Dish is in the middle of losing a "hugh" amount of subs because some people in San Francisco didn't get to see the Giants pre and post game shows on their RSN? Interesting. I just didn't realize that the rest of the country cared so much about S.F. Giants fans that they would also dump Dish in solidarity for the Giants fans not getting to see pre and post game shows during the baseball playoffs.
People in SF care about watching their RSN in HD, people in LA care about watching their RSNs in HD, people in NY care about watching their RSNs in HD, ex. This does drive some subs to other providers. Not to mention, the lack of full time HD RSNs also makes their sports packages much less enticing to those that want to watch a particular out of market team in HD or several games in HD. So yes, the lack of full time HD RSNs do play in a role in the number of subscribers they attract

Well, if they really said and meant "disposable income" (which is what you have left over from your income after you pay taxes) then perhaps they can explain exactly what feature of the US tax code confiscates the entirety of what someone earns. This may be in our future but AFAIK it's not here yet.

I can only think that perhaps they meant discretionary income.

discretionary, that was it not only for north america but europe too.....

sorry wrong term..

Not everybody is going to cancel all at once. Some people were under contract during those price increases, some receiving credits. Once their contracts are up, they will see some churn from that as well.

Dish Network starts to make a higher profit when they lose subscribers for the simple fact that they are paying out less money to acquire customers (commissions to retailers and hardware costs). When Dish Network loses money by paying to acquire customers, their profit is less but their net worth is more since each customer has value along with the equipment in place.

Im not really surprised the loss was only 20,000 subscribers, but keep in mind the 3rd quarter ended at the end of September. All the Bullsh!t with Fox Started on October 1st which was the 4th quarter.

Here is some observations....

What you got to consider is that, 50% of the DISH Network customers have AT120on their account, and do not get Regional Sports, National Geographic and FX. So 50% of DISH Network customers where not affected by the loss of Fox.

Second of all, people don't care that much about National Geographic and FX. We had a few people crying about their Sons of Arnachy on FX, but other than that nobody complained about Fox in general or about National Geographic.

Dish got luckey on Fox Sports, the baseball season had just ended, and they had about 3 weeks till Basketball and Hockey season where getting into full swing. They gave customers Free Previews of Center Ice and Full Court, so this primarly was a non-issue for most customers.

I think when it was Clear the Giants where on their way to sweep the rangers and there was a possibility that Fox taking away the world series was an empty threat because it could be over before November 1st, then both sides got negotiationg and worked out a deal.

The thing that hurt Dish worse than the disconnects, was the negative advertising done by Fox which cut into about 20% of our new sales for the month of October, and people still have doubts that dish doesn't carry the Fox Channels.

Subscriber loss is one thing, but it can easily be hidden by signing up new customers who haven't had a chance to churn, which Fox was advertising negativly about.

That's a good analogy Claude. I was really surprised that the churn wasn't greater because of the receiver fees, and don't think that the 4th quarter will reveal a huge exodus either.

That's a good analogy Claude. I was really surprised that the churn wasn't greater because of the receiver fees, and don't think that the 4th quarter will reveal a huge exodus either.

I think that the majority of Dish's customers have one or two receivers, so the increase in those fees wasn't horrible to them. Coming here and reading, you'd think that there's a huge bunch with many receivers scattered throughout the house, but I suspect that really isn't the case. I know that of the friends I have with Sat service, almost all of them only have 2 receivers.

well the sperlings site that details neighborhoods and national info.

states over 13% of all homes nationwide are currently vacant. thats interesting that E is shrinking while D is going gangbusters.

on national geo, its my favorite channel I will cancel any provider that doesnt have it....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts