Dish Network Retailer Chat Recap - July 10, 2007

I'm a big fan of HD and all, but for me the biggest announcement is the use of the 622 via ethernet and dishonline.com. Being able to program your 622 at work is great. Now if they would just reverse this and add a "watch now" like netflix to dishonline.com, I could watch my 622 at work via dishonline.com (similar to a slingbox). I think the technology is there to make it happen.

If you get fired on the job for watching E* and not able to pay the bill...why would E* want that:)

Video on Demand... Some movie you want to see but its not playing chances are you can watch it via DishOnline.

Its not quite like the cable companies VOD service yet, but they are making progress.

Seriously though, I am more interested in the online DVR scheduling away from home feature, Scott, can you confirm this for me this feature will be available when the Ethernet is active? Are they going to provide us with some wireless adapter for the connection? How much will they charge for the new service?

I'm a big fan of HD and all, but for me the biggest announcement is the use of the 622 via ethernet and dishonline.com. Being able to program your 622 at work is great. Now if they would just reverse this and add a "watch now" like netflix to dishonline.com, I could watch my 622 at work via dishonline.com (similar to a slingbox). I think the technology is there to make it happen.

Hehe... I'd really like to be able to program my box remotely, that would be slick. There's a number of reasons I wouldn't want to 'watch now'... not the least of which is that I have a hard enough time getting work done as it is :)

They havent cracked the pocketdish yet, and this has a few more layers then the pocketdish, so I dont think they are worried.

Great that we will see the 722, but what ever happened to the 612? My guess is that originally it was going to be a cheaper alternative to a 622, but now that the 622 is mostly free, there's no need for it.

Just curious,
Brad

I am in Atlanta Ga I can not find any retailer who carries Dish products .I now have Direct but am looking at Dish

congrats, you win the "I will post something random in the thread I'm reading because I don't want to bother figuring out where the appropriate place would be" award for today.

congrats, you win the "I will post something random in the thread I'm reading because I don't want to bother figuring out where the appropriate place would be" award for today.

:clap I just busted out laughing on that one and now people are staring at me. Thanks Pepper!

:up:up:up:up:up:haha

great one Pepper!

and maybe that guy can try opening a phone book.............

If you get fired on the job for watching E* and not able to pay the bill...why would E* want that:)
Your not watching Dish Online... your downloading VOD content from the internet to your DVR for viewing. Its not a slingbox type of feature.

Seriously though, I am more interested in the online DVR scheduling away from home feature, Scott, can you confirm this for me this feature will be available when the Ethernet is active? Are they going to provide us with some wireless adapter for the connection? How much will they charge for the new service?
I have seen and played with the remote scheduling feature. I dont know if it will be in Dishonline at the launch but she did mention these features when she was describing the software which was coming in August.

No dish will not provide you with a wireless adapter. You can get your own, although its best to run a wire to it.

The DishONLINE service is free, however depending on the content you download they could and will be charges.

Where's Amish Living HD?

Ummm, hate to break this to you but it's coming, in the guise of RFD-TV. Wifey saw this in the latest RFD magazine and asked that I call Dish up right away and ask for it. :)

When I stopped laughing I realized that, being an RFD fan myself, RFD-HD will be really cool. Imagine Big Joe in HD (to say nothing of HorseCity.Com TV).

=NLK=

Your not watching Dish Online... your downloading VOD content from the internet to your DVR for viewing. Its not a slingbox type of feature.

I was referring to his "watch now in the office" feature.

If you don't want to (or can't) run a wire from your router to the location of your 622 check out the SlingLink

Sling Media - SlingLink Turbo

I've got one and it works great!

I don't have open hard wiring only wireless. The one hard wiring is already used, unless there is some other trick I don't know about.

Pick up a cheap router (probably 20-30 bucks) and the SlingLink and you're good to go. Much much much faster than wireless.

I don't have open hard wiring only wireless. The one hard wiring is already used, unless there is some other trick I don't know about.

There is an adapter out there to use the "spare" 4 wires in a typical network run and get a 2nd jack out of 1 wire. You have to have the adapter on each end.

For the life of me I cannot find it for some reason to link it for you. I have not used it and cannot gurantee that it actually doesn't suffer from any interference issues.

I was referring to his "watch now in the office" feature.

If you have hard line being used near the 622, just buy a cheap 4 port switch and plug it in by the 622. You'll turn that one connection into 3 open connections.

WOW!

I just got confirmation from a very reliable source at DISH. Setanta will be on August 1st!

Since there was no mention on the Retailer Chat, I decided to bug my contact (could be same one) one more time, and I was told the same date.

Remember that Dish likes to space things apart, and not have a lot of things happen at the same time. Also, the same engineers who work on adding the authorization code and Guide listings for HD RSNs are the ones who would be doing the same thing for Setanta. And, the people who write the Press Releases. And, the people who coach the CS reps about what is on the channels and how much they cost.

So, it seems that the spacing was:

HD RSNs and Birmingham -> Setanta -> National HD channels.

Probably any other niche and international channel additions will also be made at the beginning of August.

PS Don't forget - July 21st on ESPN-HD - David Beckham and L.A. Galaxy vs. Chelsea (so I guess that's Tom Cruise vs Madonna ?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)