Dish Network service options for two locations

AlexZ816

Original poster
May 14, 2014
Kansas City
Is there a document or website which explains the different ways which I can effectively have Dish Network services at my primary home and at my weekend retreat cabin a few hours away? I called Dish and tried to talk with them about it, but I got a very fast talking salesman who I wasn't comfortable with. He said I get pause service at home and at the cabin, but I couldn't get him to commit that I would only be billed for one service. I only have one account and I would like to keep it that way. The cabin is used sparingly and I am out of range of any normal antennae signals. I wasn't sure if I could use Dish Anywhere and somehow broadcast the signal from my Iphone/Ipad and then run an output to my tv? I tried this, but the picture quality was very poor. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Alex

You will need to pay to have a dish antenna installed at your second location. The best option is to just bring a receiver from your main home with you to your second location when you need it. You do not want to have equipment active at both locations continuously for a long period of time.

And if you spend a lot of time at the second location, you can call Dish and tell them you are there as you may be out of the spot beam for your local channels and would allow you to get the locals there. Call Dish when you go home will get those locals back.

Is there a document or website which explains the different ways which I can effectively have Dish Network services at my primary home and at my weekend retreat cabin a few hours away? I called Dish and tried to talk with them about it, but I got a very fast talking salesman who I wasn't comfortable with. He said I get pause service at home and at the cabin, but I couldn't get him to commit that I would only be billed for one service. I only have one account and I would like to keep it that way. The cabin is used sparingly and I am out of range of any normal antennae signals. I wasn't sure if I could use Dish Anywhere and somehow broadcast the signal from my Iphone/Ipad and then run an output to my tv? I tried this, but the picture quality was very poor. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Alex

Alex, you don't mention what equipment that you currently have at home or where you live.. Do you have a Hopper or VIP receivers? If VIP receivers you could get a 211K receiver (if you don't already have one) and install a dish at camp. This way you could take receiver back and forth with you as needed. You could also get a winegard pathway X2 for the cabin that will automatically find the sats for you.. It also utilizes a 211K receiver... More info needed for the best solutions...

Technically you can not have active receivers at both locations at the same time. It is either at home or at camp not both that is why DISH is hard to get the answer you want, both active is against terms of service.

You can use the Hopper transfer feature to put programs on your iPad, for example. But Apple blocks this from being output to a larger TV, so you'll have to watch it on the iPad, jailbreak it, or perhaps go with an Android that allows this.

I like the ViP211 series option best. You'll have to own the receiver, though, but they're not that expensive. And you can activate/deactivate at any time.

Two things. The person you talked to, is likely talking about you setting up a flex account at the cabin. If you have a purchased receiver (or receivers) there, you would not have a contract, and can turn the service on and off there as you come and go. That is one option.

The second option is what is known as a "snowbird" account, and I'm not sure it applies to you. Snowbird accounts are people who live in two places during the year. The customer calls in, the account has to be tagged as a snowbird account, a movers is set up to the second address, you HAVE to take all receivers and remotes with you. A technician installs a dish antenna, and runs the cabling, and connects everything. You can then take all the receivers with you as you go from one home to the other, being sure to take ALL receivers with you. You can not have receivers active at two locations and stay in the terms of the customer agreement. If caught, they'll disable the receivers that are not at your location.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer.

Set it up at 1 place then in few weeks take your receiver(s) to the other place after you've setup a dish mover.

You'd be all set, just take receiver(s) back & forth as needed.

Technically you can not have active receivers at both locations at the same time. It is either at home or at camp not both that is why DISH is hard to get the answer you want, both active is against terms of service.

So, if I am using a 211 as a Tailgater option, then my Hopper system at home must go dormant? That means my Hopper programmed recordings will not work, as I assume when I call DISH to activate the 211, they will concurrently put my home units offline.

So, if I am using a 211 as a Tailgater option, then my Hopper system at home must go dormant? That means my Hopper programmed recordings will not work, as I assume when I call DISH to activate the 211, they will concurrently put my home units offline.

No, having the 211 receiver will not affect your Hopper system at all. I have the Hopper system and also a 211z that I use for tailgating and there are no issues.

So, if I am using a 211 as a Tailgater option, then my Hopper system at home must go dormant?

Scherrman is correct, using a Tailgater with a 211 is allowed with a Hopper system. Realize, though, that depending on how far away you are from the home location, that you may not be able to get locals. The service address will still be the home address, and the locals are most often on a spot beam transponder, they often have an oval shape around the city in question. If out of the area of the spot beam, you may likely get a 120 error, that says you are out of range.

Disclaimer: As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

How does a Tailgater work in the event of an audit? If the audit team calls, do you need to set up the Tailgater system in the back yard to be able to answer the questions?

How does a Tailgater work in the event of an audit? If the audit team calls, do you need to set up the Tailgater system in the back yard to be able to answer the questions?

I really don't know on this one. Maybe they don't bother with these accounts. I've had a Tailgater for a few years and I've never been audited.

I think it is understood with tailgater that the 211 may or may not be at your home. I really don't think they would audit these.

I agree. They could be off in a closet or a truck somewhere else.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have an android tablet and it has a mini HDMI plug. I have hooked it up to a 22 in HDTV and the picture is very good. You just have to download enough programing to last while at the camp, unless your camp has wifi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts