Dish Network/SES Americom was granted to moved AMC 16 to 118.75

According to the FCC filing, HD, LIL's, and International.

It would be SMART to move ALL HD to 118.7 as it would open up lots of room on 110, 61.5, 148 and 129.

People would only need 1 dish to get all the HD channels. :)

How many transponders do they have one 118.7? I think they could do it without a problem. However what they would need to do is have like a 3 month transition so people could get the new Plus Dish so that way they don't lost any of their HD channels.

If they did move HD to the 118.7 what should a Dish 1000 bet set to then? Right now we get 119/110/129 so would 118 take over for the 129??

Yeah what is the main diffrence between the 129 and 118?? Is one better than the other??

Scott Greczkowski said:
How many transponders do they have one 118.7? I think they could do it without a problem. However what they would need to do is have like a 3 month transition so people could get the new Plus Dish so that way they don't lost any of their HD channels.

There are 24 36Mhz Ku FSS transponders on AMC16. I forgot the count on the Ka spot beams, but they are rather low powered I think, 75 watt, 125Mhz.

7 on 61.5, 3 on 110, 6 on 129 (which carry the same channels on 61.5, crammed more), 3 on 148 (dups of some 110 channels). Basically, there's a butt-load of room at 118 for more national HD :) (didnt count HD LiL, even though its sent CONus)

E* definitely needs to trim down the need for multiple antennas as much as possible if they want new subscriber growth to continue, so a moderately sized dish that can pick up more than 2 satellites would be good, especially if they couple this with some good bandwidth management.

Thanks for the Info people... :)

Smith, P

LOL - You and Scott have the same avatar currently i noticed.. - i guess you like that one, eh? (i kinda like it also)..

You guys look like Twin Brothers for now :D

Ok if I counted correctly, they are currently using 9 transponders for national hd. By National HD I mean channels like HBO HD, Discovery HD, the VOOM HD channels, Universal HD, ESPN and ESPN2 HD etc, I did not count any networks (ABC, etc) which are on conus transponders which are HD.

Ok so only 9 transponders for the national HD channels.

So on 118.7 they have 24 transponders, with todays national HD channels they still have 15 more transponders which they can use for more HD or for LIL or internationals.

By moving the 9 transponders to 118.7 and if the got rid of the duplicated HD channels on 61.5, 110, 129 and 148 that would open up 19 transponders which could be used for other things.

On 129 they are using 6 transponders for national hd
on 61.5 they are using 6 transponders for national hd
on 110 they are using 3 transponders for national hd
on 148 they are using 4 transponders for national hd

This is why moving ALL national HD to 118.7 makes sense.

Thats my opinion on it anyways :D

The transponders on 118.7 have more bandwidth than DBS transponders. They have more MHZ/TP and fewer TPs. It works out close to the same capacity. They just increase the symbol rate on the larger TPs. For example they run 21500 symbols/sec on the DBS TPs and can run ~28000 on the Ku/FSS TPs.

AMC-16 has 140w/TP. This is more than single power DBS (110-120) but less than double power (200-240).

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok if I counted correctly, they are currently using 9 transponders for national hd. By National HD I mean channels like HBO HD, Discovery HD, the VOOM HD channels, Universal HD, ESPN and ESPN2 HD etc, I did not count any networks (ABC, etc) which are on conus transponders which are HD.

Ok so only 9 transponders for the national HD channels.

So on 118.7 they have 24 transponders, with todays national HD channels they still have 15 more transponders which they can use for more HD or for LIL or internationals.

By moving the 9 transponders to 118.7 and if the got rid of the duplicated HD channels on 61.5, 110, 129 and 148 that would open up 19 transponders which could be used for other things.

On 129 they are using 6 transponders for national hd
on 61.5 they are using 6 transponders for national hd
on 110 they are using 3 transponders for national hd
on 148 they are using 4 transponders for national hd

This is why moving ALL national HD to 118.7 makes sense.

Thats my opinion on it anyways :D

I agree with you on that. Put all the national hd on 118.7

Smith said:
Whole sat is not enough ? 24 tpns !

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the DSS transponders 24mhz wide and the FSS ones are 36mhz wide?

24 * 36mhz = 768mhz total

32 * 24mhz = 864mhz total

If I'm reading lyngsat correctly, AMC 16 is at 110W (as of 5-8-06) and moving 0.84 degrees a day. Which if my math is correct means 6 days from now it will make it 118.7.

How do they know its moving 0.84degrees a day, or is that a guess?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)