Dish Network to Buy Bankrupt Satellite Company DBSD for About $1 Billion

Dish is also trying to gain control of another bankrupt company that was developing a satellite based cell phone system. It already has a satellite on-orbit and is building another one. Perhaps this gives more meaning to the slogan "Dish Everywhere"

Here's some more information. "DBSD, a unit of ICO Global Communications Holdings Ltd. (ICOG), is developing a system that combines both satellite and terrestrial communications capabilities for wireless voice, data and Internet services."

It's interesting that the article says Dish was a creditor. I wonder what services Dish (instead of Echostar) would have been providing, unless Dish was simply an investor.

A Tech version that posted yesterday that may explain a little more . . .

Dish Network offers $1 billion to buy a bankrupt satellite/antenna company for reasons only it knows . . .

Dish Network has agreed to buy DBSD, a company currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection that's reportedly working on a system to tie together satellite and ground-based antenna communication for wireless phone and internet service, pending approval by the FCC. Dish pegs the purchase price at approximately $1,000,000,000 (subject to certain adjustments) including the interest on DBSD's debts. Exactly what its plans for the company are remain a mystery, as The Hollywood Reporter quotes mystified analysts like Craig Moffett suggesting theories including wireless internet service, mobile TV, or an integrated satellite/phone/TV bundle to compete with cable operators. SpaceNews.com has the most extensive breakdown, from Dish's initial $45 million investment back in 2009, to the recent FCC decision on a similar hybrid service from LightSquaredTiVo issue. that may have caused DBSD's spectrum & technology to suddenly become much more valuable. Whatever it is, they considered it worth writing an awful large check for, although we can't help but wonder if they couldn't have broken some of that money off to deal with this whole TiVo Issue.

Link to page:
Dish Network offers $1 billion to buy a bankrupt satellite/antenna company for reasons only it knows -- Engadget

In rural areas if they did wireless internet it could be a big seller for a Dish bundle.

Maybe a way to stream on demand movies to subs?

Will have to call in on the next Earnings Conference Call and hope they let me ask a question.

Which i know they will say nice try not saying anything perhaps will get lucky and get an answer.

i wonder what this means for dish and would it mean more hd channels and more hd locals that we can get from other cities like we were able with sobongo :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts