Two questions about setting Manual Timers

stc

Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
ny
I've been having problems with recording new episodes of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report with my VIP722K DVR since for some reason the guide data for these two shows seems to be wrong half the time and it ends up recording all the reruns of the two shows instead of only new episodes. My solution to this was to set it for M-F but then comes the other problem which is that The Daily Show almost never ends at exactly 11:30PM but rather right around 11:31:30 (11:31 and 30 seconds), so the end will always be cut off for my recordings.

Right now the best I've been able to come up with is a manual timer set for M-F from 11:00 - 11:32PM for The Daily Show and another manual timer from 11:32PM - 12:02AM for The Colbert Report which solves the constant rerun problem but the end is still ~30 seconds off and I also get unwanted recordings of whatever program is on during those times on Friday night (no new episodes of TDS or Colbert on Fridays). I know it's nitpicky, but is there any way to fix this? Namely, is there any way to get the manual timer to stop at the half minute mark (11:31:30) and/or for it to record only Monday through Thursday and skip Fridays? It seems like there should be a way to do these things but I haven't found any so far.

As for setting a timer to go a 30 second mark, it cannot be done. You will need to go a full minute.
If you don’t need to record Friday your choices are either each week edit your events and skip the Friday ones or set daily timers for each day you need.

Sent from my DROIDX

Just set it as a 1 hour block (or 1 hr 3 minutes, like I do). But you can't set it just Mon - Thu. Just go in your schedule and "Skip" the Fri recording.

On regular timers, the default is to start 1 minute early and end 3 minutes late.
When two timers bump up against each other like with the Daily Show and Colbert Report, it will end the first event 0 minutes late and it will start the second event 0 minutes early.
The result of this is a bit of a gap and you possibly get the end of the first event at the beginning of the second event's recording or the beginning of the second event at the end of the first.
Now I would say this isn't a huge deal except for when you watch one show at a much later time then another and you've deleted one of them, since you'll miss the beginning or the end.

It would be nice if during the overlapping time (11:29 - 11:33) it would record both instead of stopping the first event and starting the second.
That way you would end up with a Daily Show recording from 10:59 to 11:33 and a Colbert Report recording of 11:29 to 12:03.
This would probably be very difficult to implement, but not impossible (provided the two events are on the same channel or an inactive tuner is available).

On regular timers, the default is to start 1 minute early and end 3 minutes late.
When two timers bump up against each other like with the Daily Show and Colbert Report, it will end the first event 0 minutes late and it will start the second event 0 minutes early.
The result of this is a bit of a gap and you possibly get the end of the first event at the beginning of the second event's recording or the beginning of the second event at the end of the first.
Now I would say this isn't a huge deal except for when you watch one show at a much later time then another and you've deleted one of them, since you'll miss the beginning or the end.

It would be nice if during the overlapping time (11:29 - 11:33) it would record both instead of stopping the first event and starting the second.
That way you would end up with a Daily Show recording from 10:59 to 11:33 and a Colbert Report recording of 11:29 to 12:03.
This would probably be very difficult to implement, but not impossible (provided the two events are on the same channel or an inactive tuner is available).

I didn't think of this, but I *do* have a second receiver and am able to record two shows at the same time, so this would be a great solution if I could figure out how to make it work. Right now if I go and set a timer for The Daily Show, M-F starting one minute early and ending three minutes late (10:59 to 11:33PM) and then do the same for the Colbert Report (11:29 to 12:03) they both show up with a "TV2" icon and they're recorded with the same receiver and I get the same problem with the endings/beginnings being cut off. However, if I set that same timer for The Daily Show, then set a M-F timer for Letterman (11:34PM to 12:38AM) and *then* set a M-F timer for The Colbert Report then I'll get The Daily Show with a blue "TV2" icon and The Colbert Report with a green "TV1" icon and they can both record during that overlapping time without issues.

There's got to be a way of doing this without adding in an additional unwanted program in the 11:30 time slot though, right? I just want to set it so that one program records with TV1 and the other records with TV2, not both recorded by the same receiver. How can I do this?

I'm not following why setting an hour block (or whatever length covers the two shows) doesn't work, it is what I do all the time for two programs on the same channel when other timers don't work right. (For instance OTA when the guide says digital) The most that happens is a minute or two extra recording time I add in at start and finish to be sure to get it all. (I do understand you will get Friday that isn't wanted but even that could be overcome by making four weekly timers) If your complaint is the extra minute or two I would have to categorize that as too picky! :)

Last edited:
There's got to be a way of doing this without adding in an additional unwanted program in the 11:30 time slot though, right? I just want to set it so that one program records with TV1 and the other records with TV2, not both recorded by the same receiver. How can I do this?
Yes, just set one (or both) of the events to something other than the 1 minute early / 3 minutes late settings.
For example, set the Daily Show to start 1 minute early and 5 minutes late. That should cause the Colbert Report to switch from TV2 to TV1.
Alternatively, you could set the Colbert Report from 1 minute early to 3 minutes early, which should also switch the Colbert Report from TV2 to TV1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)