Dish Network to Direct TV Install Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tdmontg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Alabama
Before I switch from Dish to DTV, I have a question about viewing in multiple rooms.

My house is prewired, one coax cable to each room. I currently have Dish Network, three dual tuner DVR's ability to see programming in six rooms. All cables were pulled to one central location, the exterior wall outside my garage, so I have six coax cables at this point.
Dish uses the diplexers and a DPP44 switch to feed two sat signals from one dish to all three dual tuner dvr's. I use to have Direct TV and I like DTV, but really like being able to access the DVR in more than one room. My delimma is that I do not want to pull more cables on the out side of my house and there is no way to pull new cables along side the ones that were pre-installed when the house was built.

Questions:
1. Can Direct TV use one cable to bring in two Sat signals to the HD DVR Dual Tuner?
2. Can you split the signal from the dish and send it to three seperat Direct TV dual tuner DVR's or do you need multple dishes?

3. Without physically pulling a second coax cable, is there any way to backfeed the output signal through the incoming coax and send it to another TV. I'm ok with only being able to see the same programming in the second room. Will a diplexer work for this?

Last edited:
1.) Yes, SWM allows a cable TV like installation with special splitters.
2.) No need for multiple dishes, only a single SWM Slimline.
3.) Not that I know of.

1. Can Direct TV use one cable to bring in two Sat signals to the HD DVR Dual Tuner?

No; you will need two cables for each dual tuner.

Can you tell me something about the effectiveness of the DISH dual receiver?
  • A DISH CSR told me that one receiver can control 2 TVs and you can watch one different channel while recording another on each TV being controlled from the same receiver. True?
  • How does the TV that's not tethered to the dish get the satellite signal?
  • How effective is this receiver and remote? Suppose the receiver is on a different floor of an old brick and stucco home from the slave TV?
Thanks.

• A DISH CSR told me that one receiver can control 2 TVs and you can watch one different channel while recording another on each TV being controlled from the same receiver. True?
  • How does the TV that's not tethered to the dish get the satellite signal?
  • How effective is this receiver and remote? Suppose the receiver is on a different floor of an old brick and stucco home from the slave TV?
Thanks.
With the SWM, you can use one cable only.

As to your E* question, yes the 622/722 will feed two tvs. One in HD, and one in SD. There is a coax output (if I am not mistaken) that connects to the 2nd tv. Really no different than how you connect the first one, simply coax instead of HDMI/Component/ect.

The remote will work the same as any RF remote. Assuming you are in range, you will be fine

Not true. There's still only two tuners. So you can record one channel and watch another in the same room, or record one channel and watch a different in a different room. Or watch a recorded show while recording two and/or watching a different channel in a different room.

You can however get the 612 which is two tuners and one room.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)