Dish Network to Discount OTA Antennas for HD

I called Dish this afternoon and the 1st CSR didn't know anything the OTA solution.

I called again and the 2nd really didn't know either although he did hear something about Dish ofering this sort of promo in the near future. He told me to call back in a few weeks.

Tulsa not available for off air antenna

I talked to a Dish CSR about installation of an off air anntena and he informed me they are not providing them in my area because I can receive SD local broadcasts. He says they cannot provide them because of the distant networks issue. I don't see the connection. He suggested putting up and buying my own. I asked him if it is still possible Dish was going to provide HD locals in my area and he said that was a possibility and I should check back in about a month. I'm an OU football fan and many of the games are broadcast on ABC locals. All I know is if Dish doesn't make these available by next football season I'll have to consider switching to the dreaded cable or Direct if they provide them. Has anyone else had a similar experience with them being unwilling to provide the off air antenna in the cities that Scott listed in the beginning of this thread?

I sent them a email asking about getting one for Springfield Mo area, They said they would only for Springfield and Memphis Ten. I ask if I could get one then and they said no. That I had to live in the actual city limits. I live outside but can only receive Springfield. Makes no sense but alot of Dish thinking doesn't:mad:

Local HD pixilation

I want to ask one question-When will this local OTA antenna be available in areas like Atlanta that are getting Local Channel HD pixilation?
SatelliteGuys.US has learned that on November 2nd Dish Network will start a new promotion which will give all new and exisiting customers who own a ViP or 411 High Definiton receiver a special priced off air antenna.

However this promotion will only be available in 19 select DMA's

The DMA's for this promotion are...

Austin Milwaukee
Baltimore New Orleans
Buffalo Norfolk
Burlington Oklahoma City
Cincinnati Orlando
Cleveland Providence
Greenville Roanoke
Jacksonville Springfield, MO
Louisville Tulsa
Memphis

The models and pricing of the antenna are as follows:
Sensar GS-1100 $49.99
Amplified Sensar GS-2200 $69.99
Square Shooter SS-1000 $109.99
Amplified Square Shooter SS-2000 $119.99
Yagi HD - 9095 $79.99
Yagi HD - 7084 $119.99

The costs are one time charges.

Dish has instructed their DNS Installers NOT to install amplifed antennas "in an attempt to increase received signal strength." Instead they should only be installed when there are excessive cable runs between the OTA antenna and the receiver.

There is no mention of what they will do if a customer has more then one ViP receiver.

If you are in one of the 19 areas, SatelliteGuys.US urges you to wait until AT LEAST the 3rd before calling to take advantage of this promotion as the CSR's are always the last to know about these new promotions.

If Dish provides your locals in HD, you will NOT get this offer. They'll claim the pixellation is either your problem or the station they're receiving it from.

I live in Cleveland and got sick of waiting for them to put up the HD locals. I put up my own antenna in my attic to feed my 3 hd recievers. I get excellent signals for all my locals about 30 miles outside of Cleveland. My only problem is no data on my 622 for recording purposes. I do not subscribe to locals. Don't need to. Funny that I get all the OTA info on my 2-411's but not the 622. Guess they are trying to hold us up to subscribe to locals to be able to record without setting up a manual recording.

Well, I live 100 miles away from the locals and have been patiently waiting. Now I will be inpatiently waiting since my distance makes the "ota antenna promotion" worthless to me. I have had 2 installers tell me it doesn't matter what antenna I get, I won't be getting any hd locals out of OKC. Anyone here know any different?
I live in Blackwell,OK.
What county and zip?....
Now..I wouldn't hold my breath for HD lil via Sat..Dish was supposed to roll out the top 50 markets by end of '06...That looks like it won't happen...It'll be a long time before Dish gets to smaller markets such as yours..Sorry.
You are probably in adigital "white zone" and that may make you eligible for Distants..Provided this court thing gets resolved...Otherwise you'll be waiting a while..

Well, I live 100 miles away from the locals and have been patiently waiting. Now I will be inpatiently waiting since my distance makes the "ota antenna promotion" worthless to me. I have had 2 installers tell me it doesn't matter what antenna I get, I won't be getting any hd locals out of OKC. Anyone here know any different?
I live in Blackwell,OK.

Your closest digitals are in Wichita KS, about 70 miles, just slightly west of north.
KSNW-DT NBC frequency 45, 891 kW
KSAS-DT FOX frequency 26, 350kW
KAKE-DT ABC frequency 21, 850kW
KWCV-DT was WB frequency 31, 1000kW

For all UHF reception try a Channel Master 4228 with a CM7777 pre-amp mounted up as high as possible. You will probably not get solid reception, but especially under favorable atmospheric conditions, it should work. If you need an antenna with less wind load, the Antennas Direct 91XG is an excellent yagi with reflector, very similar in performance to 4228.

Oklahoma City stations are about 85 miles due south of you. If you want both you'll need a rotator also.

Tulsa towers are 90 miles ESE.

Ignore the colors, I cheated and put the antenna on a 1000 ft tower for calculation purposes but there is an antennaweb calc.

* yellow - uhf KSCW-DT 33.1 CW WICHITA KS 345° 70.0 31
* green - uhf KSNW-DT 3.1 NBC WICHITA KS 345° 68.1 45
* green - uhf KAKE-DT 10.1 ABC WICHITA KS 345° 68.7 21
* red - uhf KETA-DT 13.1 PBS OKLAHOMA CITY OK 182° 83.8 32
* blue - uhf KOKH-DT 25.1 FOX OKLAHOMA CITY OK 182° 87.2 24
* blue - uhf KFOR-DT 4.1 NBC OKLAHOMA CITY OK 182° 83.8 27
* blue - uhf KOPX-DT 62.1 i OKLAHOMA CITY OK 182° 83.8 50
* blue - uhf KWTV-DT 9.1 CBS OKLAHOMA CITY OK 182° 83.8 39
* blue - uhf KOCB-DT 34.1 CW OKLAHOMA CITY OK 182° 86.4 33
* violet - uhf KWCH-DT 12.1 CBS HUTCHINSON KS 338° 90.5 19
* violet - vhf KOCO-DT 5.1 ABC OKLAHOMA CITY OK 182° 86.2 7
* violet - uhf KAUT-DT 40.1 MNT OKLAHOMA CITY OK 182° 84.4 40

Good luck, have fun.

Will I have to keep switching inputs to receive the ota channels. I might not go with the HD programming and just use the antenna for HD locals until they get more channels. Will that work.

I talked to a Dish CSR about installation of an off air anntena and he informed me they are not providing them in my area because I can receive SD local broadcasts. He says they cannot provide them because of the distant networks issue. I don't see the connection. He suggested putting up and buying my own. I asked him if it is still possible Dish was going to provide HD locals in my area and he said that was a possibility and I should check back in about a month. I'm an OU football fan and many of the games are broadcast on ABC locals. All I know is if Dish doesn't make these available by next football season I'll have to consider switching to the dreaded cable or Direct if they provide them. Has anyone else had a similar experience with them being unwilling to provide the off air antenna in the cities that Scott listed in the beginning of this thread?

Question: Are you locals available thru sat in standard def?..If so, what's the problem...Is imperative that you MUST have locals in HD?...You are not alone..90% of DMA's do not transmit HD locals thru satellite..Patience..

HD locals look better than SD locals. I'm in the Austin area and according to the post, it qualifies. BUT, Dish says only Memphis and some other city qualify for an antenna. First, the CSR didn't even know they offered OTA eventhough I put in my address on their web site and it said I could get an OTA for $49.99.

Will I have to switch inputs to receive ota local in HD or will they just be that way, through the new 622.
I am a new HDtv person. I have my locals now in sd. But need a ota for HD.

HD locals look better than SD locals. I'm in the Austin area and according to the post, it qualifies. BUT, Dish says only Memphis and some other city qualify for an antenna. First, the CSR didn't even know they offered OTA eventhough I put in my address on their web site and it said I could get an OTA for $49.99.
Ok, I have to ask..Who is going to sell you an antenna and install it for that amount of money? Businesswise, It's a loser....I know I wouldn't do that job for 50 bucks..If Dish is charging $49.99, they can have the work.....

Ok, I have to ask..Who is going to sell you an antenna and install it for that amount of money? Businesswise, It's a loser....I know I wouldn't do that job for 50 bucks..If Dish is charging $49.99, they can have the work.....

Ask dish! It's their promotion. Retail price of Winegard is only $19. I'm sure Dish gets it cheaper than that.

Ask dish! It's their promotion. Retail price of Winegard is only $19. I'm sure Dish gets it cheaper than that.
that's fine..I guess the DNS techs are the only ones doing those..We never see them...But them again I don't live anywhere near a DMA that needs them..Thank goodness. I try to avoid OTA installs...Customers expect perfect reception on every channel...Yeah, right..

I live in Cleveland and got sick of waiting for them to put up the HD locals. I put up my own antenna in my attic to feed my 3 hd recievers. I get excellent signals for all my locals about 30 miles outside of Cleveland. My only problem is no data on my 622 for recording purposes. I do not subscribe to locals. Don't need to. Funny that I get all the OTA info on my 2-411's but not the 622. Guess they are trying to hold us up to subscribe to locals to be able to record without setting up a manual recording.

I live in Parma. Would you be able to help me out in buying a OTA to use with my Dish, and possibly with the installation?

I am so happy that I got fired! LMAO at the rocking r suckers having to do more work for crap money!! Of course, I probably would not have been installing these anyway. I always got that one job that was way out on the fringe area.

Will I have to switch inputs to receive ota local in HD or will they just be that way, through the new 622.
I am a new HDtv person. I have my locals now in sd. But need a ota for HD.

You're correct, the OTA HD locals will be available on the 622, so no need to switch inputs on your TV to toggle between your satellite receiver and the OTA antenna for HD. But... you may want to keep that option open with a 622, by splitting the signal from the antenna to both the 622 and your TV's digital tuner. That way you would have the option of recording one OTA HD show while watching a different one. Lots of options ;)

Has anyone taken Dish up on the free installation deal? I'm from Burlington Vermont and have talked to 3 CSRs and no one has heard about it and they can't find any info on their help screens. I someone has broken through please let us know how

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)