Dish Network ViP222 HD Dual-Tuner Receiver: A SatelliteGuys.US Review

The 222 likely has newer revision hardware components, specifically the pieces that process the video stream, and I'm guessing Broadcom is continually improving the software that runs on the chipset.

Now, now, this is :tux:'s brand-new, under warranty, ViP 222. Unless Claude is going to give him a new one if something happens to it after he opens it up, I don't think TuxCoder needs to show us the 222's guts. I'm willing to bet it looks like a 622, minus the hard drive and fans.
Thanks for sticking up for my poor defenseless 222. :) I'm thinking about it... I'm curious too. But no promises. ;)

Quick update - additional occurrence of a need to reboot...

Last night when I went to watch something on it, I selected the appropriate input on my TV and saw it was a black screen. I had sound, and pressing "Cancel" (as I do to quickly see the info banner) worked, showing the banner. I checked the TV1 modulated outputs on both Ch. 3 and Ch. 38 and they were also black screen with sound. I checked the TV2 modulated output and it too had the same symptom. I powered off both "sides" of the 222 and they both showed the usual bouncing logo. Powering on resulted in the same issue.

I did a soft reboot and that fixed the problem. I prefer to just leave my receivers on all the time (ensuring they are staying cool enough though), so this issue could likely be caused by that. I do have the updates enabled, however. Thus, it should be rebooting itself each morning.

Again, I'll keep everyone informed of anything else I happen to notice.

DD 5.1 via HDMI?

Has anyone tested the 222 to see if it will in fact pass DD 5.1 audio via HDMI? I was told in another forum that it was supposed to, but since my 211 won't I was curious if the 222 would. For me, this would be reason enough to upgrade from the 211 to the 222.

Ken

Someone here needs to grow a pair and pop the cover and heat-sink.

Hint: It's not broadcom. :D

The heat-sink is on the CPU, which never was broadcom. I'd be surprised if they have switched away from Broadcom for the various video/audio chips.

Single Satellite Coax Input

I have a VIP222 still in the box that I would like to use to support just one TV with one coax from the DP34. I don't need the TV out for a second TV. Will this work without issues? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

no it will not work, must have two lines with that switch, or dpp lnb or dpp switch and seperator, or you will have all kinds of problems or it will not work at all!

I am now on my second VIP622 and about to get a third because of a reboot problem. First TS guy said it was a hardware issue and sent a new receiver out. Second receiver lasted about 10 minutes and then started to reboot. Next TS person said it was a power issue. Brand new house... brand new electrical and no other piece of equipment I have has any issues. But I moved to a new room and put it where my 721 is located that wasn't having any problems. Same thing... reboot after about 5 minutes.

So I call the TS again and let them know it was still happening and they finally fessed up to this being a "known software" problem. I am in the software business, and I told her to get them to rollback the software to where it was before because my receiver worked great for about 4 months straight. No sound issues, no picture issues, no recording issues. TS said they don't do that, but we will send you another receiver just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Told her to send it... what ever. But if this don't work and I can't get a software patch, I'm leaving DISH.

Also I sent an email to DishQuality@echostar.com and complained about it a bit.

Are you posting about this issue in as many threads as you can ? You have a 622; this thread is for the 222. At least stay on topic....

The heat-sink is on the CPU, which never was broadcom. I'd be surprised if they have switched away from Broadcom for the various video/audio chips.

There is no heat sink on the 222. You can see the main chip through the slots on the top. It's a Conexant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)