DISH NETWORK vs. SONYSAT (N.J. District Court)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Their receivers weren't hacked.... there's only so much you can do with a hex editor on compiled code.

The manufacturers gave them the source code and tools to build the firmware. Dish traced it back and busted them.

If the receivers were truly hacked then the hacked flashed receiver menus would look nothing like the factory flashed one.

This is most certainly true, ie that the manufacturers gave the pirates the code, and in some cases they may not have had to give it to them because from what I've read, the pirates were the same individuals who wrote the code to some extent.
However there is nothing wrong with giving the pirates the code. In fact, I think it would be a fairly smart business strategy at this point for one of the manufacturers to first of all include some proprietary parts that only they have access to, and then go open source with the receiver, along with SDKs so that users can write their own software. Twinhan did this to some extent with their 1020a, in that they gave out a SDK for a while. Unfortunately, I could never get the SDK to work, as it seemed to be missing some important components.
But making the firmware open source seems to be a strategy that the manufacturers could use to make their receivers more appealing to both the pirate community and legitimate FTA community. I do not approve of selling equipment that is designed to bypass equipment, however like it or not, the legitimate FTA community is really dependent upon the pirates to some extent. You only have to go back to the mid 90s, and look at how much either analog or digital receivers aimed at the NA market cost. Both analog and digital receivers cost in the $700 to more than $1000 range. I purchased 2 receivers that cost over $1000, and a couple others that were in the $700. Now, we're seeing high end receivers in the $300 range, and regular receivers closer to $100. The fact that these receivers are being used by pirates is a large part of the reason we're getting cheap receivers. Of course, another part of the reason is the popularity of DVB over in Europe, and that could keep us in business if DN puts so much pressure on the manufacturers that the quit selling receivers to the US. But I really think that despite all the criticism I read hear and on other forums about the pirates, and how they are damaging our hobby, I really believe that we wouldn't have much of a hobby without the pirates. It would be too expensive for most of us. Or at least too expensive for us to keep up with the modern modes. I think I've gone from a basic DVB STB to a PCI card, to a STB with blind search, to a STB with SVID output, to a few DVB-S2 HD receivers to one that does HD 4.2.2, and I'm sure this is going to continue. If all these receivers cost $700 plus, no way most of us could keep up with the progress of the technology.
Anyway, I'm hoping that the manufacturers can find a way to keep the pirates happy without doing something that will get them sued by DN, and perhaps making their firmware open source is a way to do it. They just have to be careful that they don't blindly accept firmware modifications from people who may have slipped in pirate functions.

If I can figure out a way, that my wife and kids can DVR stuff in HD, off my antenna, I'm gonna kick the pizza dish out too. I've seen and heard enough of this "how many ways can we screw enough people out of their money" mentality from these satcos and cablecos. It really is time to cut the cord!:rant:

Cut the cord! Spend that money on real pizza with sausage and cheese :D

- how many ways to skin the cat?

If I can figure out a way, that my wife and kids can DVR stuff in HD, off my antenna, I'm gonna kick the pizza dish out too.
I read that to say, OTA.
If that's true, you might want to look at the reviews and discussions on one box that'll do that pretty well (I'm not sure if it's perfect).
I suspect you'll be more upset over the manufacturer than any bugs, though. - :eek:
. . . and remember, as you look at reviews, their comments may be prior to a firmware upgrade, so give it a proper chance.
DTV PAL DVR .

I know at least one member here on the forum who uses an OTA tuner on his computer to capture HD programming.
He can play them back in full HD, but later archives 'em using DivX or XviD or h.264, in a format that'll play back on his up-converting Philips DVD player.
The disc quality is excellent, too.

Kinda interesting that I only hear of DN going after pirates and not DirecTV. I guess DN is easier to hack?

Kinda interesting that I only hear of DN going after pirates and not DirecTV. I guess DN is easier to hack?

Because the DTV hacking is so far underground now after they started suing end users, not just the hardware guys (not to mention they use an entirely different encryption system and modulation system that standard FTA boxes can't decode it, so it's modded provider gear).

DN used to be easy to hack when they were using the Nagra 2 stuff since the code was let out into the public. Now that they're Nagra 3, it's all basically card sharing on a massive scale.

The only thing about the major sat guys that irks me the wrong way is that i get to pay lots of money for the hardware, yet i don't own it. You get to lease it. And when it dies, you get to pay them again, and again, and again. But it's still not yours. Seems a little backwards to me.

The eyepatch folk are slowly being killed off one by one. And i'd be more into FTA than i am now if there was more than PBS and christian broadcasting in the free-and-clear. Some wild feeds here and there, but nothing consistent. It's a hobby, i still have a basic cable subscription to make the wife happy.

As to these ends, i've been down in Las Vegas all week at NAB looking at all the interesting boxes around the world. There's TONS of them from china and korea that would put 90% of what i see here to shame. Some serious power in these little IPTV/DVB-S/DVB-H boxes. Too bad they all want qty orders or i would've picked up a few. I saw one box from a company i couldn't even pronounce that had the ability of 2 HDMI outputs, ethernet, wifi, IPTV, DVB-S2(and -S) and DVB-C in one box. $199 in qty 1000. Even had a web browser demoing hulu clients and several other web-based services. All in the same sized box as a regular FTA box (why did they go away from standard form factor to fit in my rack!?!).

There was even one box showing off DSS and DVB in one solution. Not sure why, as i think DirecTV is the only company globally using DSS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)