DISH Network/Weather Channel Reach Renewal Agreement

Interesting "Promise" from DISH Network`

I've read several online news articles about the DISH Network-TWC carriage dispute. Since "The Weather Cast" is now off, one article had an "interesting" quote from DISH Network:

Dish says, regardless of how the TWC dispute ends, Douglas's "Weather Cast" will remain on the Dish lineup.

Why is there so little integrity in our world?

I've read several online news articles about the DISH Network-TWC carriage dispute. Since "The Weather Cast" is now off, one article had an "interesting" quote from DISH Network:

Dish says, regardless of how the TWC dispute ends, Douglas's "Weather Cast" will remain on the Dish lineup.

Why is there so little integrity in our world?

I've got a feeling that TWC's new agreement required removal of the competition.

Or maybe Dish's feed of WeatherCast was uplinked to AMC 7 just for Dish Network. I thought the satellite feed was encrypted.

Isn't FreeDBS going to have a weather channel when they launch their service? Maybe WeatherCast would want to work out a deal with them to get more viewers.

I think you are right that the AMC 7 feed was for Dish Network. They kept saying "You're watching the WeatherCast on Dish Network". The feed is FTA, just like all the other Luken Communications muxes.

If I am a betting man I am thinking that The Weather Cast more then likely knew they would be on Dish short term. The weather Cast got something that I am sure it did not have and that was exposure while at the same time I am sure Dish got something in return and that was a good deal. I am a weather buff and up until lastweek had never heard of The Weather Cast. I hope that with what happen lastweek it will open The Weather Channels eyes and the powers at NBC to realize that maybe some things are better left alone and let the weather channel do what it use to best and that was "Forecast The Weather". CC

Carroll A:
There's a reason you haven't heard of Weather Cast. It only existed for the short time it was on E*. Weather Cast and E* are, for all intents and purposes, to be considered the same entity.

TWC was just about useless as far as reporting weather so Weathercast was a good replacement whle it lasted.

What happened to the local weather that Dish and TWC promised in 2006:

Dish, TWC to Provide Local Weather
By Multi Channel News Staff -- Multichannel News, 11/8/2006 5:46:00 PM
EchoStar Communications and The Weather Channel are teaming up to offer Dish Network direct-broadcast satellite subscribers new local-weather features and severe-weather warnings.

As of 5 p.m. (EST) Wednesday, Dish customers began receiving targeted weather information determined by ZIP code, along with interactive enhancements and weather warnings, the two companies said.

The overlay mode on Dish’s TWC Weather channel provides local-weather content including current conditions, Doppler radar and short-term and five-day forecasts, and the two companies said viewers can find local-weather information for thousands of cities across the United States based on ZIP code or city listing, as well as setting a default city and saving favorite cities for faster access.

“The innovative ITV application for local weather for Dish Network customers enables The Weather Channel to provide viewers with what they have long desired -- our truly localized weather forecasts with customized, targeted information to help them plan their day,” TWC executive vice president of distribution and business affairs Becky Powhatan said in a prepared statement.

Dish director of interactive TV Scott Higgins added, “We are pleased to bring our subscribers timely local weather information with radar maps that The Weather Channel makes available 24/7 powered by ITV. Our subscribers who enjoy watching The Weather Channel will have tremendous flexibility and control over the content they see.”

Link: Dish, TWC to Provide Local Weather - 2006-11-08 20:19:00 | Multichannel News

What happened to the local weather that Dish and TWC promised in 2006:

Dish, TWC to Provide Local Weather
By Multi Channel News Staff -- Multichannel News, 11/8/2006 5:46:00 PM
EchoStar Communications and The Weather Channel are teaming up to offer Dish Network direct-broadcast satellite subscribers new local-weather features and severe-weather warnings.

As of 5 p.m. (EST) Wednesday, Dish customers began receiving targeted weather information determined by ZIP code, along with interactive enhancements and weather warnings, the two companies said.

The overlay mode on Dish’s TWC Weather channel provides local-weather content including current conditions, Doppler radar and short-term and five-day forecasts, and the two companies said viewers can find local-weather information for thousands of cities across the United States based on ZIP code or city listing, as well as setting a default city and saving favorite cities for faster access.

“The innovative ITV application for local weather for Dish Network customers enables The Weather Channel to provide viewers with what they have long desired -- our truly localized weather forecasts with customized, targeted information to help them plan their day,” TWC executive vice president of distribution and business affairs Becky Powhatan said in a prepared statement.

Dish director of interactive TV Scott Higgins added, “We are pleased to bring our subscribers timely local weather information with radar maps that The Weather Channel makes available 24/7 powered by ITV. Our subscribers who enjoy watching The Weather Channel will have tremendous flexibility and control over the content they see.”

Link: Dish, TWC to Provide Local Weather - 2006-11-08 20:19:00 | Multichannel News

well that was the Interactive feature that you could access on Dish Channel 100.

One way they could do this is via our broadband connections. I suspect they don't because a) the number of ViP receivers out there isn't a high enough number (in relation to non-ViP receivers) and b) those with ViP receivers don't have them hooked up to their broadband connections.
Only if a broadband connection exists. That's usually only an option in cities...with cable...that has local weather. :rolleyes:

The TWC is pretty good when it's actually doing weather. I hope TWC2 is what "Weathercast" was going to be, 24/7.

The capital partners in TWC might have had some effect on helping the agreement come about, since losing 14 million customers at a whack might have impacted the equity rating of TWC.

The Weather Channel is to weather as SyFy is to Science Fiction. Why do "cable" networks created to service a niche market decide to branch out? I mean, Friday night, TWC is showing "Gorillas in the Mist". Short of "mist" being a form of precipitation, what does this movie have to do with weather???

NBC really has a knack, you know?

They branch out because the "original" channel isn't making them as much money as before. So they go and change the channel around to see if they can gather more of an audience and to get the advertisers to put more money into their "new product". We've seen it with multiple channels over the years. Personally I don't like it at all but it's all about the greenback! :down

MTV has how much music?
When was the last time VH1 played a video hit?
When was the last time you could go around the world in 20 minutes on Headline News?
When was the last time you saw an actual 60 minute news program (not an opinion scream-fest, interview show or entertainment tonight clone) on CNN, Fox News or MSNBC?
And soon it will be difficult to see a real science program (not a "how its made" or "Really big things" program having nothing to do with science) on the Science Channel.

These niche networks decide at some point that they don't like their niche because they could get a bigger audience if they broaden their scope. And not coincidentally it usually happens right after a mega-corp conglomerate buys the niche channel and tries to "Improve" it. (See "The Learning Channel" from the early 80s and The Nashville Network for reference).

The Weather Channel was sold to NBC only a short time ago. NBC bought this great channel and decided they could do better if they just changed what made the channel one of the few "must haves" on cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)