DISH Network/Weather Channel Reach Renewal Agreement

dish played a hard bargain. Good Job Dish!!! Im sure TWC agreement was to take off the competition. But in the long run it seemed to be a good deal. TWC is gonna have to do alot to make dish happy with this new channel. I could hardly see TWC being dropped 14 million is alot of customers seeing ads.

They branch out because the "original" channel isn't making them as much money as before. So they go and change the channel around to see if they can gather more of an audience and to get the advertisers to put more money into their "new product".

I don't know why TWC cares. Conservatively, 50 million subs at $.10/month is $5 million a month from carriage fees. Of course, if their carriage is more like 70-80m, then it's up to $7-8m a month in carriage fees, plenty enough to do weather 24/7 without junk, IMHO, and whatever advertisers would just be gravy to the bottom line.

I guess like pro athletes who can't take their $25m salary and pay off the baby mommas and feed their tens of illegitimate kids, TWC can't do what they do best, weather, on a 24/7 basis and make payroll. :D

Yeah but if you think about it, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to show Storm Stories all day then to pay Meteorologists all day! So when they don't have to pay them, it's even more money in their pocket!

TWC may be adding content on purpose to their channel just to say later on that a second weather channel is needed to provide weather forecasts 24x7 bringing them addional income.

After reviewing the posts on this thread a tear came in my eye.....we've got TCC back....that's not a type-0.....The Commercial Channel is back. I can look at my favorite commercial without having to view the weather so much. Things are good, again. Thanks, Charlie.

I have a feeling many of us will be complaining when we see this new TWC2 comes on. Why can't they just do what cable does but especially customized to your zip code. That would be the best way to do it. Haven't they been trying to do that for years?

P.S. That interactive weather feature on channel 100 stinks.

Interestingly enough. Right now (4:26 PM PT) TWC is skipping past the "Local on the 8s" to bring us...Real Weather, Live from Western Kansas. Basically, we have Sportscenter for weather geeks.

How many times do you get to see a tornado form on live television, albeit this one is struggling.

This is what TWC does best, and NBCU needs to remember that.

Interestingly enough. Right now (4:26 PM PT) TWC is skipping past the "Local on the 8s" to bring us...Real Weather, Live from Western Kansas. Basically, we have Sportscenter for weather geeks.

How many times do you get to see a tornado form on live television, albeit this one is struggling.

This is what TWC does best, and NBCU needs to remember that.

Yeah I was actually watching when these tornado's were forming. I agree, this is what The Weather Channel is all about!

MTV has how much music?
When was the last time VH1 played a video hit?
When was the last time you could go around the world in 20 minutes on Headline News?
When was the last time you saw an actual 60 minute news program (not an opinion scream-fest, interview show or entertainment tonight clone) on CNN, Fox News or MSNBC?
And soon it will be difficult to see a real science program (not a "how its made" or "Really big things" program having nothing to do with science) on the Science Channel.

These niche networks decide at some point that they don't like their niche because they could get a bigger audience if they broaden their scope. And not coincidentally it usually happens right after a mega-corp conglomerate buys the niche channel and tries to "Improve" it. (See "The Learning Channel" from the early 80s and The Nashville Network for reference).

The Weather Channel was sold to NBC only a short time ago. NBC bought this great channel and decided they could do better if they just changed what made the channel one of the few "must haves" on cable.

:up:up:up
Ghpr13:)

The Weather Channel was sold to NBC only a short time ago. NBC bought this great channel and decided they could do better if they just changed what made the channel one of the few "must haves" on cable.

Here's how it used to be: start at the top of the hour, TWC would air 6 minutes of weather, then go to 2 minutes of commercials, then 2 minutes of Local on the 8s, then 6 minutes of weather, 2 minutes of commercials, 2 minutes of Locals on the 8s, and repeat. That's how a typical hour went by.

After NBC/Universal bought TWC: start at the top of the hour, TWC airs 3 minutes of weather, 2 minutes of commercials, 1 minute of weather, 2 minutes of commercials, 2 minutes of Locals on the 8s and repeat. Not all the time, but alot of the time. And they have added in more specialized programming to get less weather.

SWo, now we will have two TWC channels of commercials instead of one. Twice as many commercials, no local weather, unless you live in a top twenty market.

If they would do an area from say Houston to Tallahasse as one market and from Jacksonville to Key West as a second market, they could cover the entire US in 20 markets.

I've said this before and also on other forums that nbc has to do something better with the weather channel. They need more localized weather instead of shows all of the time. Maybe they could bring back weather plus and call it weather channel local or something like that. As soon as nbc bought the weather channel and kicked weather plus to the curb 6 months later the weather channel became the mtv of weather.

SWo, now we will have two TWC channels of commercials instead of one. Twice as many commercials, no local weather, unless you live in a top twenty market.

If they would do an area from say Houston to Tallahasse as one market and from Jacksonville to Key West as a second market, they could cover the entire US in 20 markets.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think when they talk about the top 20 markets for local weather I don't think that applies to the second weather channel for Dish Network.

It has to do with the press release talking about the Weather Channel in particular and its Weatherscan which is a service on cable unless I didn't see something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)