Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
There is a new RSN starting called FOX San Diego which will be broadcasting the San Diego Padres Baseball. I am hearing that DISH will not be carrying this new channel, but it should be noted that DISH has not carried Padres Baseball as it was exclusive to the COX SD4 channel.

DirecTV hasn't carried Padres baseball either, but they already have FSNSD up and running, so why is Dish not carrying it? COX always used the Padres as a reason to grab customers from other providers. Now that the Padres are not on a COX exclusive channel, this would be a great opportunity for Dish to grab some San Diego County, Imperial County, and southern Orange County viewers. We are talking millions of potential customers to seek.

Wow. I thought that since this was a fox sports channel and they carry the rest of them they would add this one for sure. Bummer for you San Diego sports fans.

FSN San Diego is still fighting with Time Warner Cable in San Diego, so it's not just Dish. I'm sure that they'll come to an agreement with both sooner or later, but it's a shame that most of San Diego Country won't get to see Dick Enberg doing the games when the season opens. I do believe the agreement with Direct is in place already.

D* has carried it since the day they launched TruTV HD (which was a week before the tourney started)

694-1...its gametime only (as its just FSN W with San Diego programing)

FSN San Diego is still fighting with Time Warner Cable in San Diego, so it's not just Dish. I'm sure that they'll come to an agreement with both sooner or later, but it's a shame that most of San Diego Country won't get to see Dick Enberg doing the games when the season opens.
But wait...

The home opening series with the hated Dodgers will be on MLBN ch 153 and 9434. I texted with Dish online support and they directed me to Zap2It.com when I actually asked "When will you know whether or not I can see the Padres season opener?

I'm pretty puzzled as to why they have to rely on an outside listing service to answer customers questions but they did.

The preseason games last weekend and this week were split between FoxSD and the other teams local commentators. So I got to hear Mudcat and Dick for at least one game. I just hope MLBN takes the FoxSD feed and not FoxW2 that has the Dodger homer crew.

Nothing personal Dodgerking:). I just want to hear my homies call the game

But wait...

The home opening series with the hated Dodgers will be on MLBN ch 153 and 9434. I texted with Dish online support and they directed me to Zap2It.com when I actually asked "When will you know whether or not I can see the Padres season opener?

But will it be blacked out in the Padre and Dodger DMA?

Last edited:
But will it be blacked out in the Padre DMA?
Nope!

That was the first thing I asked the CSR when he directed me to the listings and then went ahead and cut and pasted them into his next response. And for sure the preseason games are coming through. Though I not that much a fan I've seen part of two of them.

I don't think MLB will broadcast a game if that market's RSN is broadcasting it, and it looks like Fox San Diego is? That's a reason for the Alternate MLBN channel....

Nothing personal Dodgerking:). I just want to hear my homies call the game
BTW, my older brother practically swoons when he hears Vin Scully. He takes the radio feed with Vin while he watches the broadcast. Made me crazy because the radio was a solid second ahead of the video so just as you see the pitcher let loose of the ball Vin tells you what happened.

Last edited:
If you are in the local market for the Padres or Dodgers, you will probably be blacked out on MLB Network. Be prepared with a radio...

I don't think MLB will broadcast a game if that market's RSN is broadcasting it, and it looks like Fox San Diego is? That's a reason for the Alternate MLBN channel....
they had a unblacked out yankee game last nite in the NYC DMA..maybe it depends what night it is

From their site;
7:00 p.m.

Thursday Night Baseball Live[#MLBNetwork] Los Angeles Dodgers at San Diego Padres (subject to blackout in local areas)

they had a unblacked out yankee game last nite in the NYC DMA..maybe it depends what night it is

No it doesn't depend on what night, it depends if the RSN is carrying it. Yes is carrying the game today VS Mets, so is MLBN, it will be blacked out in the NY DMA.

Well yes, kind of. I believe MLB can show it in SD if the game they show is a retransmission of the FoxSD telecast.

Remember I already saw a FoxSD game on MLBN 153 and 9434. Fox was printed on their mics and all the graphics were Fox too. And I didn't notice but I bet the commercials will be the FoxSD spots, not national ads originating from MLBN. I would think Fox is fine with this as long as they get paid about the same money. It's just in these cases the check comes from MLBN instead of Dish.

I'll watch and report.

Well yes, kind of. I believe MLB can show it in SD if the game they show is a retransmission of the FoxSD telecast.

Remember I already saw a FoxSD game on MLBN 153 and 9434. Fox was printed on their mics and all the graphics were Fox too. And I didn't notice but I bet the commercials will be the FoxSD spots, not national ads originating from MLBN. I would think Fox is fine with this as long as they get paid about the same money. It's just in these cases the check comes from MLBN instead of Dish.

I'll watch and report.

That sounds like a valid point! Just have to make sure DISH knows that. If that game is also just a Fox San Diego broadcast I guess you could get it.

It is in the guide now, go to it in the guide and hit info. If you don't see the symbol that it's not available, you should be good! If it's there you will see it on the right hand side near the top. Circle with line through it.

Last edited:
Back in the fifties, sixties ,and early seventies ,when I was a young man, late at night here in West Texas we could pick up KFI. Listened to a lot of Dodger games with Vin Scully and Jerry Dogget and learned to love the game. Great times and great memories. Sometimes I think baseball was better on the radio.

I'll watch and report.

Almost every game on MLB Network is a retransmission of one of the teams' RSN. They don't do their own broadcasts. They just pick up a feed and show it with some MLB Network guys doing some analysis every few innings before they go back live to the RSN announcers after commercial breaks.

If the game is on your local RSN I can almost guarantee you that it will be blacked out for you. It's just like ESPN. The Sunday night Padres games would be available to you because they are exclusive to ESPN but the Wednesday night Padres games on ESPN will be blacked out.

Edit: I just saw your part about the commercials. They will not be FS SD spots they are National MLB Network commercials.

And to your point about already watching a spring training game on MLB Net even though it was carried on FS SD. The blackout rules were relaxed for spring training. I was able to watch all the Tigers games with my MLB.TV subscription this spring training but during the regular season they will be all be blacked out.

Last edited: