Dish no longer allows customers that have NLOS to cancel out of contract.

I still say the ETF is not logically defensible. Dish gets their receiver back, so they're out nothing. Complaining about lost "revenue" is just a crybaby act. "Waah, I don't like the way you play, I'm gonna have my big brother beat you up!" Or, they have a gambling problem and think they have a right to be bailed out of it.

I still say the ETF is not logically defensible. Dish gets their receiver back, so they're out nothing.
If you consider that the cost of getting a new customer set up (SAC) is upwards of $800, you have to get the idea that not all of that can be recouped by accepting the receivers back.

Picking and choosing what costs you consider is not logically defensible.

"Dear, I love this house lets buy it." "Sorry, honey, Dish has the final say."

Its like buying a house an an area that does not get a decent internet service.

I don't know about anyone else here, but the first thing im checking out before buying a house is if I can get a decent internet package, and if I can get a Dish.

I can live without a Dish, but I will not move to an area where there is no highspeed internet

And the judge's response to Dish could be "you're telling your customers they can't move?".
Think of it like having a car and moving to an apartment with no parking. The customer has a basic due diligence obligation.

[no good argument should ever pass without a car analogy]

But for various reasons people do have to move where there is no good internet service, or perhaps a good parking space. Or LOS. I really do get you signed a contract, but in the case of NLOS it just seems Dish bears some of the problem if satellite technology does not permit you to move without a fine if they can't provide you service.

I still say the ETF is not logically defensible. Dish gets their receiver back, so they're out nothing. Complaining about lost "revenue" is just a crybaby act. "Waah, I don't like the way you play, I'm gonna have my big brother beat you up!" Or, they have a gambling problem and think they have a right to be bailed out of it.

Seriously? Do you even know how this works? It's not just the cost of the equipment. It's the cost of installation, marketing, etc. Yes, they get the receivers back, but they don't just send those same receivers back out. They have to send them to be re-manufactured, which costs a good deal of money. Then re-issued to inventory. Dish has to have a customer for 18 months before they break even. Everyone wants FREE FREE FREE! Free equipment, free installation, etc. They don't realize that all of this costs money. Dish and other providers (including cell phone providers) subsidize these costs in exchange for an agreement to keep service for a period of time. You don't have to sign a contract at all. You can pay for the equipment and pay to have it installed. Then you can do whatever you wish. The same with cell phones. If I didn't want a contract with my wireless provider I could have purchased my phone outright and turned service on and off at will. However, I didn't have that kind of money so instead I opted for a 2 year agreement in exchange for a lower cost for the phone. There really isn't a difference.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, it all is written in our agreements. I'm not too lazy to look at mine, but just don't really care considering I have no intention of moving. If the agreement states canceling is at a cost, nothing else, too bad so sad. If it states a clause of moving to a location proven to have no LOS, then they're wrong. If there is a clause that states subject to change, then once again too bad so sad. It's cut and dry no matter what. If nothing is in the agreement, I'd say Dish is liable to do what they want.

Again, I side with the customers. Ethically, Dish needs to be able to provide their service prior to charging an ETF. But we're in America. Ethics and legality don't go hand and hand.

At the end of the day, it all is written in our agreements. I'm not too lazy to look at mine, but just don't really care considering I have no intention of moving. If the agreement states canceling is at a cost, nothing else, too bad so sad. If it states a clause of moving to a location proven to have no LOS, then they're wrong. If there is a clause that states subject to change, then once again too bad so sad. It's cut and dry no matter what. If nothing is in the agreement, I'd say Dish is liable to do what they want.

Again, I side with the customers. Ethically, Dish needs to be able to provide their service prior to charging an ETF. But we're in America. Ethics and legality don't go hand and hand.

Got service on Saturday. My contract states that if I move to a place where there is NLOS, I'm SOL.

It's easier to just say the contract says that, so I have no options. You're assumptions are everything in a contract is defensible in court. So I guess you feel Dish wins every lawsuit over contracts.
I'm not even saying I would go through a court case. But in this one particular instance of NLOS something does not sit right, and am not so certain a company that can not provide service to you would outright win in court. Trayak, you are correct about the cost and discounts given. That's why I said before I can see the resolution being you pay what the non discounted cost would have been for the months you had service. Then Dish is not out anything.

According to the lease agreement with DirecTV, harshness is correct.

BUT, there have been reports from many sources that say they will allow you to get out of the contract with no ETF if you move and have no line of site. In those reports it shows that you must have them attempt an install to ensure LOS is not available.

That said, it is against their own lease agreement which means that could change on a moments notice or could turn out to not be true solely at their discretion.

The evidence I offer is spelled out in Part One of the DIRECTV Equipment Lease Addendum.

If you are sure that your evidence trumps the ELA, I'd ask that you present it because hearsay and/or wishful thinking isn't going to help someone that put themselves in a bind.

My evidence is direct contact with numerous EX-DirecTV customers who no longer have DirectTV, not by choice, but by the fact that they no longer have LOS and were allowed out of their contract by DirectTV with no charge.

You making that same assumption (that they charge an ETF based on lease agreement) with Dish 1 year ago would have been wrong as well, wouldn't it?

You can bet that DIRECTV would charge an ETF if LOS was unavailable because of something that the customer did.

Do you have any direct evidence to back up this statement?

My evidence is direct contact with numerous EX-DirecTV customers who no longer have DirectTV, not by choice, but by the fact that they no longer have LOS and were allowed out of their contract by DirectTV with no charge.
That analogy is like saying that because law enforcement doesn't ticket every single driver who exceeds the speed limit, that speeding is in fact now legal.

The fact that D* doesn't impose an ETF in some cases doesn't negate the fact that they can in other cases, per their contract.

That analogy is like saying that because law enforcement doesn't ticket every single driver who exceeds the speed limit, that speeding is in fact now legal.

The fact that D* doesn't impose an ETF in some cases doesn't negate the fact that they can in other cases, per their contract.

No, it's not, but I've made my point...... they can, but they do not, same as Dish also did not in the past.........

harshness said "you can bet they would charge an ETF". Not sure if it was just a statement pom-poming Dish, or slamming Direct, but either case he was wrong.

Its like buying a house an an area that does not get a decent internet service.

I don't know about anyone else here, but the first thing im checking out before buying a house is if I can get a decent internet package, and if I can get a Dish.

I can live without a Dish, but I will not move to an area where there is no highspeed internet

Excellent statement!! It's a couple of more things you need to check out before moving to a new place if those are important to you.

Excellent statement!! It's a couple of more things you need to check out before moving to a new place if those are important to you.
Don't forget cell phone coverage. I was checking my bar strength at each house I was checking out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)