Dish no longer allows customers that have NLOS to cancel out of contract.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There's no way in Hell that phone is $650. An ETF is nothing more than a last-ditch money grab from the provider after they've lost your business.

I used to think that also, until I went to some of the cellphone forums and did some research. The high cost of cellphones is what has kept Apple and Motorola in business for the past several years.

Anywhere you buy a new Verizon Motorola Razr Maxx or iPhone, you'll pay at least $650 without contract. With contract, you can get them for about $300. That's $350 revenue they expect to recover over a two year period. It doesn't matter what Verizon pays for it, that's lost revenue they lose if you cancel the contract.

Nobody complains about the contract (most don't read it) when they sign up, but then they want to play the victim to the big bad corporation when they try to get out of it.

If you think that Dish or Verizon or whoever are trying to rip you off, don't do business with them. If you don't like the terms of a contract, don't sign it. Pay full price for the equipment, install it yourself, then you can turn service off and on as you like. :)

rvvaquero said:
I used to think that also, until I went to some of the cellphone forums and did some research. The high cost of cellphones is what has kept Apple and Motorola in business for the past several years.

Anywhere you buy a new Verizon Motorola Razr Maxx or iPhone, you'll pay at least $650 without contract. With contract, you can get them for about $300. That's $350 revenue they expect to recover over a two year period. It doesn't matter what Verizon pays for it, that's lost revenue they lose if you cancel the contract.

Nobody complains about the contract (most don't read it) when they sign up, but then they want to play the victim to the big bad corporation when they try to get out of it.

If you think that Dish or Verizon or whoever are trying to rip you off, don't do business with them. If you don't like the terms of a contract, don't sign it. Pay full price for the equipment, install it yourself, then you can turn service off and on as you like. :)

I agree with this statement completely. Its like asking for a loan and then expecting not to pay back just because you can't afford the payment.

Pay TV service is a privilage not a right. There still plenty of free TV out there. Its just up to you.to acquire it.

Don't be an idiot. There are plenty of homes in urban and suburban locations with no LOS. Contrary to Charlie's recent statement, we don't all live on farms.

Excuse me? If you are going to insult me at least make a coherent point. Trees, buildings, blimps, whatever... makes no difference, it still isn't Dish's fault you moved where there is No Line Of Sight.

TOO BAD!! You moved to a location with NLOS, it's not Dish's fault, it's your fault. Pay the damn ETF or find a new home.

Really????? It's easy to be a big man on the net with no consequences. I guarantee you would not have the balls to say this to someone in the real world. You might lie and say you would but I know you wouldn't. Bulletin board bullies have no class and are just plain sad.

I'm glad most people here are not like that.

Really????? It's easy to be a big man on the net with no consequences.
The mistake was moving to a facility with no LOS. That's not DISH's fault and no amount of dissing DISH or anyone else is going to change that. DISH is much more accommodating than DIRECTV as they give you two shots at LOS. You can bet that DIRECTV would charge an ETF if LOS was unavailable because of something that the customer did.

Excuse me? If you are going to insult me at least make a coherent point. Trees, buildings, blimps, whatever... makes no difference, it still isn't Dish's fault you moved where there is No Line Of Sight.
My coherent point is that you were specifically being an idiot when saying it isn't Dish's fault if we move to the forest, as nobody is talking about moving to the forest. I'm sure you aren't an actual idiot.

The mistake was moving to a facility with no LOS. That's not DISH's fault and no amount of dissing DISH or anyone else is going to change that. DISH is much more accommodating than DIRECTV as they give you two shots at LOS. You can bet that DIRECTV would charge an ETF if LOS was unavailable because of something that the customer did.

I'm not dissing Dish. I'm not saying who's fault it is or isn't. I'm addressing the guy acting like a jerk. I'm guessing he acts like a jerk online because in the real world he doesn't have the balls to say that to someone's face. A jerk is a jerk no matter what. People like that need to grow up!

I think we all can be civil right? There is no need for someone to be like that.

Last edited:
Keep in mind also if someone signed up through a retailer & it's under a year dish charges back the retailer & if it's under 6 months, the equipment too. So their getting double, from the customer & retailer. Talk about double dipping............:eek:
There is no excuse........los, death, non pay disconnect, or any other reason. They will hit the retailer & customer both if the account is terminated. Dish used to allow retailers to use 3rd party contracts, that helped a little but they done completely away that. Many retailers pass the loss on to the individual salesperson or installer.
Customers are not installers, until dish starts offering some sort of los check before you sign the lease or closing papers. This will always be an issue. There is plenty of smart people at dish. I'm certain they could come up with a solution to be fair to both party's. If people didn't get married, get sick, change jobs, die, have kids, join uncle sam, become disabled, accept a promotion, graduate, lose a job, go to school, get divorced, move in with relatives, travel, lose a home to natural disaster,........................................etc, etc, etc, this wouldn't be an issue. Life is not black & white on paper like dish thinks it is.

Honoring a contract would normally be my answer, but I just don't feel like it's quite right. Somewhere in this Dish has to be able to give the service. I'm not convinced because Satellite is limited to where a signal can be received, that locks someone into where they live or pay a "fine."
I have to think if it was a court case, Dish could recover whatever the cost would have been had a two year contract not been signed, for the months of service used. Beyond that, if the person is willing, but Dish can not provide the service I can't see all the burden on the subscriber.
Moving where there is a signal, but the landlord won't allow it may be different, that may be on the subscriber. There are sometimes costs associated with decisions made, but not if the company can't provide the service beyond what I described.
In this discussion I just don't like the "Too bad" answer.

One other thing, contrary to what some believe, not everything in a contract is always upheld. If you agree to pay me 50% interest, good chance the contract won't stand. If you are willing to get my services, but I can't deliver it, I have to think a Judge would consider that. You can only move to where you get our signal or pay an ETF may not stand with a Judge.

Last edited:

You are wrong about DirecTV charging an ETF if the customer moves and NLOS.

Please don't spread lies to further your agenda.

Again I think it's worth mentioning.Dish needs to do a better job to make sure that there is truly nlos.I would be willing to bet that there are instances of someone moving,different tech comes out and,takes a quick glance and says sorry can't get service here.It just seems to me they are more willing to grab the etf than actually provide the service and,that's not good business.

Hall said:
I could see many judges asking Dish "can you provide this customer your service?" and when Dish responds that they can't, the judge will not allow an ETF.

Hardly, since the inability was solely due to independent actions by the plaintiff.

But I sure hope Dish makes plenty of exceptions.

We got a charge back last week from a customer who was inconsiderate enough to die 4 months into a Dish contract. We got a huge charge back and the guy's brother told me that Dish is trying to collect the ETF from the estate.

Yep Dish is not allowing anybody out of there ETF.. Today I went to a job.. It said relocate dish.. The customer signed up 4 months ago.. They are condos.. The HOA was putting on a new roof.. . The first tech came out and put the dish up.. He never should have.. It was very low signals due to trees.. He then informed the customer he could not run cable through the attic and he would have to move his TV.. The customer did.. He moved it from his family room to his Kitchen because the first tech was lazy.. I informed the customer I could not get a good signal.. I had no problem running the lines through the attic to the front.. But the house was wired with RG59.. I informed him we could not use it.. The customer did not want to get out of his contract.. But needed to. I called and got customer loyalty and went up to there supervisor.. No way where they letting him out of it.. $315.00.. I tried everything I could for the customer. Dish said since he signed off on the original install.. They have to go by that.. Even thou.. The HOA changed there rules.and said no holes to be drilled. . Dish said to go after the HOA.. They need to make some espections to this rule. If the first tech would have done his job correctly he would not have been in this mess. I really fill for this customer.. But I do understand dishes side.

315 dollar etf? That's odd. Seems to me the disclosure is 10 dollars per month remaining. 24 months = $240.

Current promo & at least 1 or 2 before, the prorate is $17.5 per month to = a maximum fee of $420 @ 24 months.

I don't care what a judge might or might not decide.The bottom line is Dish should make 100% sure that there is no way a customer can get service at a new home.Instead they grab the etf.Definitely not very consumer friendly.I'm sure it helps the bottom line for them though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)