Dish no longer taking AMEX?

Darrell S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 13, 2004
Parts Unknown
I tried to pay my bill today online and the only options listed were Visa Mastercard,and several ATM cards. I was able to pay with Amex through the customer service channel on my 722. Are they getting rid of Amex as an option,or has their crack web design staff screwed up again? :confused:

IIRC Amex has one digit more than Visa/MC. Easy to pick out, without even decoding the numbers.

Wouldn't surprise me, since Dish charges higher fees to use AMEX

Excuse me, but that is BS, plain and simple. Now, AMEX charges Dish higher fees..... Example, when I changed my auto pay from Visa to AMEX a while back, there was zero change in my monthly bill or what was charged....

Excuse me, but that is BS, plain and simple. Now, AMEX charges Dish higher fees..... Example, when I changed my auto pay from Visa to AMEX a while back, there was zero change in my monthly bill or what was charged....

Yes, where I worked we got worked over pretty bad by AMEX with their fees. I'm surprised anybody accepts them.

Your right, no charge to the customer, but higher fees to process the transaction to Dish.

When I was a dealer and was making $10,000 or $20,000 orders they refused to take Amex and made me get a certified check or made me use a Visa or a Mastercard.

You don't take my AmEx, you don't get my business. I don't care what the fees are, it's the most convenient card for me to use.

Easier said than done. Neither my water company or garbage company or pest control company among others take Amex.

I tried to pay my bill today online and the only options listed were Visa Mastercard,and several ATM cards. I was able to pay with Amex through the customer service channel on my 722. Are they getting rid of Amex as an option,or has their crack web design staff screwed up again? :confused:

AMEX fees are among the highest of all charge or crdit cards.
Back in the day, American Express had 'snob appeal'....Better restaurants and higher end retailers featured AMEX as a preferred card. That was when credit cards were issued to only to those with the highest credit scores and higher incomes.
Today there are tons of cards both credit and debit which are far more widespread in use than AMEX. Retailers no longer willing to pay the higher fees.

What makes AmEx so great that people want to have the card and they can charge ridiculous rates to businesses. We are a small business so we will not turn down a payment if that's all they have. We will ask for a different card though. We work in a low mark-up business and when someone wants to use an AmEx card it eats up a lot of our profit, and for what? What make them so great that they can demand more?

I don't blame any business for not taking AmEx cards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)