Dish not allowed to sling networks ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sling has been out now for over 6 years. The Genie is out of the bottle now.

Its your content, your already paying for it, why cant you watch it where you want?

they have a point. if you can watch your home feed from across the country, why would you sub at a vacation home

i dont think it will go away, just another fee will be added to allow it

thats what i was afraid of...more fees just to watch the networks on sling. I agree with scott completely tho. It seems that the networks are now just catching on to what tv everywhere means and are going to try to make a buck off of it in any way they can.

they have a point. if you can watch your home feed from across the country, why would you sub at a vacation home

i dont think it will go away, just another fee will be added to allow it

Sub at vacation home. Swap back and forth as needed. No need to mess with Sling.

If the networks push it too much I just see Charlie giving everyone a FREE external slingbox instead which is totally undetectable by the networks, just to piss them off. :)

I understand the networks want to make more money, they just don't seem to get that at the moment people dont have the extra money to toss around.

If the networks push it too much I just see Charlie giving everyone a FREE external slingbox instead which is totally undetectable by the networks, just to piss them off. :)

I understand the networks want to make more money, they just don't seem to get that at the moment people dont have the extra money to toss around.

true.
but i wonder how thier contracts read.
and they could always have an employee sub and see if it works. kinda like a secret shopper type thing to check on the competition.

they have a point.not really
if you can watch your home feed from across the country, why would you sub at a vacation home
Sling is great for viewing on the go but I wouldn't sling for long term viewing. I would just bring a STB to my "vacation" home and still not sub to anything at that location.

Discovery could end up winning this. Look at Suddenlink's TiVo box: Hulu, Netflix Blocked From Cable-Leased DVRs - More copyright holder shenanigans in the age of Internet video | DSLReports.com, ISP Information & Light Reading Cable - Video - Suddenlink Blames Netflix Contracts - Telecom News Analysis

Netflix cannot stream to a cable company provided box, even if it is a TiVo. But, a customer could buy a TiVo themselves, install a cable card then use it for netflix.

It could be that Dish is not allowed as a DBS company to allow its equipment to transmit over the internet. But, they could sell sling boxes to DIRECTV/Cable subs.

Dish definitely has a contract with Discovery Networks to provide their programming via DBS. It would probably be a court battle to see if sling is considered internet streaming if controlled by the customer, but provided by Dish. But, given Dish's recent track record on lawsuits, they could owe big $$.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)