Dish offer to upgrade to Hopper from 722

echangmob

Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
United States
Hi, I've been a 5+ year subscriber to dish. I like my VIP722 and the various packages I've had over the years: Gold, TurboHD, and most recently, the $20/mo Welcome Pack. I'm definitely not a huge TV watcher, but having a great DVR and reliable service for under $40/mo has worthwhile. I have 2 HDs and I've managed to run both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 to the 2nd TV. Obviously I can watch only Tuner 1 in HD on the 2nd TV.

I called Dish a year ago and asked about an upgrade to the Hopper/Joey. I think it was $150 plus a commitment to AT120. Not a great deal considering all the "new offers" (I know I'm not eligible). I was thinking of trying cable or D* for a year and then possibly switching back as new.

Anyway, I called to cancel and was offered an upgrade to Hopper/Joey with a 24-month commitment. They'd waive all the equipment/install fees and $30/mo credit for 12 months towards any package Dish America or higher. I can switch back to Welcome pack after 12 months. Since I don't watch much, I'd probably go with that.

Does this sound like a reasonable offer? I'd basically be upgrading to a better DVR and the ability to watch separate HD programming on 2 (or more) different TVs. I like the 722 except that my units tend to get less reliable after time (lots of freezing and rebooting). I know it has better features, but is the Hopper a more reliable DVR?

Thanks for your input.

That is a very good offer. Hopper has a few bugs that need ironing out with new software, but nothing devastating. Just be aware the Hopper and Joey monthly fees will be $12.00 for Hopper and $7 for Joey.

Hopper with sling is pretty reliable, however you need to know your equipment fee will go from $7 a month to $19 a month.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Having the built in sling is well worth it. If you travel, you will be able to view programing on your HWS. If you have an ehd for the 722, it will work on the HWS.

Thanks for the input thus far. I do pay $7/mo for the VIP722 so $19 is a quite a jump. Having HD on 2 TVs is probably worth it.
How are you getting HD on 2 TV the Welcome pack does not include HD except on the local channels. You would get 3 tuners on the Hopper but your 722 has 2 tuners so with the Welcome Pack how much HD are you watching?

Done! Install set for tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to it and it comes at a very opportune time since the VIP722 is really starting to reboot a lot.

How are you getting HD on 2 TV the Welcome pack does not include HD except on the local channels. You would get 3 tuners on the Hopper but your 722 has 2 tuners so with the Welcome Pack how much HD are you watching?

We got locals in HD plus PBS stations plus about 5 or 6 other channels (AXS, HDNet) and free HBO, Starz weekends in HD. I had HDMI going from the VIP722 to TV1 and a very long run of component going to TV2. I also had the coax out going to TV2. I have had this for 2 years and had free HD for life. Maybe now you can't get the Welcome pack in HD? I don't watch much TV and whatever TV I watch is usually for the "content" rather than the picture.

One last thing. I dont have the EHD on my VIP722; is that still an extra cost? Anyway, can the install technician transfer programming from the VIP722 to the Hopper?

Are people tipping the installers these days? My install should relatively straightforward.

EHD's are free except with 211s. Tech can't transfer anything. If you think the installer is doing a great job, a tip is appreciated....

One last thing. I dont have the EHD on my VIP722; is that still an extra cost? Anyway, can the install technician transfer programming from the VIP722 to the Hopper?

Are people tipping the installers these days? My install should relatively straightforward.
Ehd transfer is included with your 722. Connect an ehd and follow the screen prompt. You can even transfer your timers to your 722 remote

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Once more, make sure the deal they offered is for the Hopper WITH Sling

And if you really want to get shows transferred from the 722 to the Hopper, you need to use an EHD and copy them from the 722 before the installer arrives.

You might want to delay your install to give yourself time if that's the case.

EHD's are free except with 211s. Tech can't transfer anything. If you think the installer is doing a great job, a tip is appreciated....
ehd are free says who? well if you buy your own external usb harddrive with an external power supply then yes I supposed its "free", but as a in house tech that is a smart home service that costs...........

Be sure go give tech 0's for the survey if you get it and tip the guy...they don't make much at least most of them don't.
Ask him how to get in touch if any issues in next 12days to avoid a RC12/TC12 on him too techs love that to have a customer care.

Also while the fee for the 722 is only $7 you will also lose the DVR fee. Adding the HWS and joey will go to $19 however its not much of a increase as you were seeing but just $7 really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts