Dish on a slipped boat

bradr

Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Does anyone know if a non motion tracking dish would work on a boat slipped in a marina? The dish cannot be attached to the dock and movement in the boat creates some rocking motion. Wind also creates rocking.

Brad R

Last edited:
The boat would have to be very stationary....very stationary. As moving the dish any little bit will cause it to lose signal. I really can't see this working reliably without putting on the dock. You can't get a bucket filled with concrete and put it on the deck? Technically you're not attaching to the deck.

I install Dish Network and DirecTV on Houseboats all the time.. Not sure about regular boats as they probably move to much.. Most Houseboats are stabilized to the shore pretty good. Up and down as the water rises has no effect on the dish.. The only issue would be side to side and as most Houseboats I see here have front and back stabilizer poles I don't have an issue.. Rocking occurs somewhat, but usually within the tolerance of the dish it has little effect also.. I would rather mount to the dock itself if I can, but I have never had a customer complain about one that was actually mounted to the houseboat itself.

What about that new Dish antenna that is for cars & RVs? I think they are also working on a national terrestrial repeater system towards this end to fill in gaps.

I don't know if Direct TV has similar plans but I figure if it can service an airplane at 38,000 feet and constant altitude changes & turns it can't be too long before it can service a boat bobbing 10 feet or less.

But a non motion tracking dish? I'd say no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)