DISH ON DEMAND

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
Dish On Demand is a great feature for downloading thousands of movies...if only it worked.

Last night I tried downloading a movie and it tells me that I'll be able to watch the movie in 5 minutes. Then instead of going down on the time, it goes up higher. I even had one movie that it said I could watch in 1 second, then it went up to several minutes.

Finally I had one movie supposedly downloaded that it said I could watch. I tried watching it and it said I only had 1 1/2 minutes of it recorded. I tried to play the 1 1/2 minutes it gave me and all I got was a black screen.

My receiver says that my internet connection is fine.

Is anyone else having this problem? So much for Dish On Demand. From what I'm seeing, it sucks!

Sounds like an internet problem. Usually when the time goes up when downloading the speed has dropped. I have used Dish on demand, I only have DSL, so it takes awhile but it has worked.

What is your internet connection speed? Sounds like you have internet with a "speed boost" enhancement where the first x amount of data is at a faster speed than your sustained speed. The receiver thinks the speed will be sustainable and predicts based on the first connection but when your speed drops to the regular speed the estimate goes up. I have 15Mb download speed and everything I've tried to download is ready for viewing almost immediately.

I'd like to provide assistance to your issue, nrholland, as I found it interesting. Is this the first time you've used the On Demand feature? Have you tried a hard reset yet? If you haven't, unplug the receiver's power cord from the outlet for at least 10 seconds, plug it back in, and try ordering it again. If you're still having problems with it, let me know and email me your account number so I can look into that and also credit your account the dollar amount of the additional charge. My email address is michael.lemar@dishnetwork.com.

Hope that helps!

MikeL - you might want to edit your post and spell out your email address so that the "bots" don't pick it up and start spamming you.

What's worse than the rather slow download speeds (no, it's not my Internet connection, I have 24/3 and consistently download at 2.7MB/Sec on my computers) is the random freezing/rebooting on both of my 722ks almost every time I use DISH Cinema. Otherwise they're nearly rock-solid, except on rare occasions they freeze/reboot while searching a lot.

3Halo that problem will be addressed with a software update where DISH will move to adaptive streaming, using Technology from Move Networks. :D

Internet

When all changes are made...will we still need an internet connection to access the on demand movies???

I know you need one know, just didn't know if you will still need one when the blockbuster stuff is added.

Thanks

When all changes are made...will we still need an internet connection to access the on demand movies???

I know you need one know, just didn't know if you will still need one when the blockbuster stuff is added.

Thanks

yes you will... Look for a lot of broadband content to be coming to the ViP series over the next year. :)

Dish has always been all about movies. VOD is important to what seem like more people, especially if very recently released movies can be ordered. "Dishbuster" may turn out to be a big plus for Dish, add that to getting Hughes Internet services and they may be building quite an entertainment empire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)