Dish Pass recording looped commercial on blocked channel

cac303

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2012
Atlanta, GA
This is a really annoying problem. I want to record all indycar races on my hopper, so I have a Dish Pass timer set up to "new" "All channels" keyword: "Indycar". This search has worked just fine for several years on my old tuner and now my hopper. Now, dish is running a looping infomercial for a Verizon indycar mobile app on channel 095. This infomercial has the word "indycar" in it, so the timers are trying to record the same 4 hour infomercial over, and over, and over.... I though that I could just go into parental controls and block that channel. Nope. The receiver continues to record the show as a "locked event". I called Dish and there is nothing that they can do. I have several problems here.

1. Why is it recording a channel that I blocked? If I block a channel, that should mean that it is blocked. Period. Don't access it, don't show it, don't record anything from it, just ignore it like it isn't there.

2. It is crazy that Dish Pass search isn't sophisticated enough to allow for exclusions after this many years. I should be able to edit the timer to keyword: "indycar -verizon" and fix the problem.

3. Why isn't dish setting the status of all of the reruns of this infomercial to "rerun"? That way the DVR would have recorded it the first time, and ignored it after that. This final issue is the one that has me most annoyed. This is just sloppy. Dish controls the infomercial tagging completely, and should do so correctly.

don't use dish pass... I record all Nascar shows.. I just set a regular timer on any channel that may show nascar. Haven't missed one yet. Dish Pass has always been a dog for me, recording the wrong things. But it is doing what it was designed to do..

1. Why is it recording a channel that I blocked? If I block a channel, that should mean that it is blocked. Period. Don't access it, don't show it, don't record anything from it, just ignore it like it isn't there.

2. It is crazy that Dish Pass search isn't sophisticated enough to allow for exclusions after this many years. I should be able to edit the timer to keyword: "indycar -verizon" and fix the problem.

3. Why isn't dish setting the status of all of the reruns of this infomercial to "rerun"? That way the DVR would have recorded it the first time, and ignored it after that. This final issue is the one that has me most annoyed. This is just sloppy. Dish controls the infomercial tagging completely, and should do so correctly.
1) That is strange that Dish's receivers behave this way. We block channels on one receiver but not the other (with a 722k) so if something is recorded "upstairs" on a channel that's blocked downstairs, it appears in the DVR as "Locked Event". Maybe the fact that it's a multi-tuner system. Otherwise, I agree with you that "blocked" should mean "blocked" !

2) That's not very practical if you think about it. Would you have known to include the "-verizon" flag ? If fixing it after the fact is sufficient, it is a solution.

3) It's an infomercial, not a program. There is, I presume, no "episode #", "original air date", "new/repeat" flag associated with infomercials.

Try this. Delete the timer. Block/lock/hide the 095 channel. THEN create the Dish Pass timer after channel 095 is out of the picture. It should then ignore the "locked" channel. Also, make sure the system is locked before you create the timer.

My hunch says it won't. The Dish Pass is similar to the "search" function, I think. It will list channels .... wait, maybe I'm thinking of channels I don't subscribe to. Those channels still show up when they have a program that you search for, almost like "if you really want to see this, add this channel".

My hunch says it won't. The Dish Pass is similar to the "search" function, I think. It will list channels .... wait, maybe I'm thinking of channels I don't subscribe to. Those channels still show up when they have a program that you search for, almost like "if you really want to see this, add this channel".
Not if you lock and HIDE them. Hidden channel do NOT show in searches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)