dish pointing: will my receiver pick up 119 sat signal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chuckles

Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
I currently have a round dish pointing to the 101 sat. I have a Directivo (series 1) and a Phillips 303, both relatively old receivers.

I want some channels that are on 119 (not spot beam), but I first want to check whether I have a line of sight to 119 before ordering the elliptical dish. Fortunately, the dish is right outside my window and I can easily turn it.

I don't really understand the technology, however. Will my receivers measure signal strength if I try to point them towards 119, or will they not recognize the signal from 119 unless it comes via an elliptical dish? (This has to do with LNBs and such and I am not knowledgeable about this stuff.)

If yes, which transponders should I measure signal strength on? Presumably, only some of them will get a signal if I'm looking at 119. Can't use a spot beam transponder, obviously; my locals are on the main sat (101).

Many thanks for your help. Links to the information will also be gratefully received...I googled but didn't find anything useful.

Pretty much all of the new receivers can view 110,101,119. You don't need to elliptical dish to get a signal, just turn the dish. Any transponder 22 and up will work. However I should tell you that if you're looking for a line of site using your 18" dish will not nicely tell you that you'll get a line of site with the elliptical dish, because the multi dish is actually focused on a different area and pulls all three satellites on the one dish.

BFG said:
Pretty much all of the new receivers can view 110,101,119. You don't need to elliptical dish to get a signal, just turn the dish. Any transponder 22 and up will work. However I should tell you that if you're looking for a line of site using your 18" dish will not nicely tell you that you'll get a line of site with the elliptical dish, because the multi dish is actually focused on a different area and pulls all three satellites on the one dish.

(a) the 303 is over 5 years old and the Directivo is over 2 year old. Are those "new receivers"?

(b) The signal comes in a straight line from the 119 sat to the dish. Even if the elliptical dish appears to be "focussed on a different area", it can't get a signal if the 119 direction is blocked. It's like if you are looking at something out of the corner of your eye...you still need to have line of sight to it.

(c) Could someone please confirm if any transponder (22 and above) will really work. I understand that some are used for spot beams and may not reach my area. Perhaps I am exposing my ignorance?

(d) Which transponder is ch. 400 (Para Todos info) on? This is an uncoded channel and I intend to tune into it to confirm that everything works. I can find channel vs transponder info for 101, but not for 119.

Thanks again!

No 119 either

I'm in Nassau, Bahamas and can't get trans 23 signal higher than 22. Can someone tell me why? Is sat 119 very low on the horizon for me because I can get 101 and 110 with no problem. I have some trees 40 feet away and about 20 feet high, the dish is about 14 feet off the ground so they shouldn't affect it unless the sat is extremely low on the horizon for me.

Any help would be great.

tropical said:
I'm in Nassau, Bahamas and can't get trans 23 signal higher than 22. Can someone tell me why? Is sat 119 very low on the horizon for me because I can get 101 and 110 with no problem. I have some trees 40 feet away and about 20 feet high, the dish is about 14 feet off the ground so they shouldn't affect it unless the sat is extremely low on the horizon for me.

Any help would be great.
This might help
http://www.satcodx-op.com/DTV/eng/coverage.cgi?DTV006KB
http://www.satcodx-op.com/DTV/eng/coverage.cgi?DTV123KB
These are the footprints for 101 and 119

ANY D-Tivo will pick up 110/119, but I'm not sure about your 303.
But an easy way to find out, is going into the dish pointing menu on your 303 & see if it says something about "dish selection" - if it DOES say something about round vs oval dish (& with 2 or 3 LNB's) then your receiver will work fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts