Dish Pricing Update

Just in time...my contract is expiring in March...so I will have to call Dish to get my 311 off account. Didnt use that box much....but Scott...u keep saying some people bill will go down....care to give an example....

I currenly have 250 package with 625 & 311....so in Feb...how much increament I will get?

They may now have 14 mil subs but I'm sure the average monthly bill has been going down in the last year or two. Because of the economy I think many customers that are reducing their plans have caused the overall gross to go down, by doing this they can make up for all the subs that are cutting down their bills by cutting back on their packages, I know I have. This is a short term solution that will be a long term loser. As the cost of equipment rises people will continue to reduce their packages and eventually seek a cheaper way to get more content. They are also opening up themselves to a negative ad campaign from the competition. Even if it's true that only a small number of subs will see an increase that will be the headline. That being said, it would be hard to get away from the best dvr available---for now.

In my case I have 2 duo dvrs so I will be charged one 17.00 fee but I will have one dvr fee eliminated and my a/o fee eliminated

What DVR fee? That was eliminated this year. HD Duo DVR receivers fee is currenlty $12.00. So it goes up $5.00 per Duo DVR receiver. We're not getting any DVR fee credit. And what the hell is the A/O fee? Too many mistakes in the pricing in that email.

I have a 722 (waived fee), two 622s ($10.00 increase) and a 211 (stays the same). In my case, I will see a $10.00 increase just for equipment. It's just a rumor but this really stinks.

I say again: WHAT THE HELL IS THE A/O FEE? Is this the $5.00 fee for not having your phone line connected? So we charge everyone for the fee regardless if you have it hooked up or not?

$17.00 additional duo dvr receiver fee=

$7.00 hd receiver
$5.98 dvr fee
$5.00 phone line connection fee
-------------------------------
$17.98
- 00.98 discount out of the goodness of Uncle Charlie's heart.
---------------------------------
$17.00

Last edited:
Scott, what happened with DISH simplifying the programming packs and adding hd to any programming pack so they could say we offer FREE HD, like Cable does now?

They may now have 14 mil subs but I'm sure the average monthly bill has been going down in the last year or two. Because of the economy I think many customers that are reducing their plans have caused the overall gross to go down, by doing this they can make up for all the subs that are cutting down their bills by cutting back on their packages, I know I have. This is a short term solution that will be a long term loser. As the cost of equipment rises people will continue to reduce their packages and eventually seek a cheaper way to get more content. They are also opening up themselves to a negative ad campaign from the competition. Even if it's true that only a small number of subs will see an increase that will be the headline. That being said, it would be hard to get away from the best dvr available---for now.

I agree this is the WRONG time to jack the price of extra FEES , even if all you are doing is consolidating them into one GIANORMOUS receiver fee. This makes DISH look really bad, when you consider they just started to rebuild their business using the LOW PRICED LEADER as their entire advertisment campaign. Every time DISH has jacked the price of their programming for the last few years , I have had to cut down on what I sub to in order to stay even .

I used to have AEP for years , but stopped that about 3 years ago. Last year with the 8.00 price increase on the dvr advantage pack, now the WITH DVR pack, I reduced down to NO premium programming channels. I was ready to go down to top 200 from the present top 250. If I see any increase I will do this to cut my price. I also cut out all extra dvr receivers last year (extra 722 and 622) and added a 211k with an external hard drive to be able to use it for a dvr for my son-without the dvr fee. I simply can't justify any more increases in my satellite bill -even if they are just repackaging the fees into one big one.

this sounds like a unfinished trial baloon to see what our board says.

all i can say as a sub for over 12 years any major price increase will see me departing. as much as I hate verizon fios its dirt cheap in comparison with dish as is and this sounds like it will just make it worse......

simplifying pricing is needed. my thought always was the DVR fee should be per account, with a forever buy out price per account option. say a 100 buck buyout? sure E loses the monthly revenue but gains a even stickier sub, leave and you lost that lifetime service

DVR subs are the golden sticky ones, best to treat them right.

hard drive failures currently require box replacement. either they should be plug in modules or all external.

crappy software drives many box replacements........... make the software rock solid or dont spool it...... since it only costs E service money.

and leased boxes should get free service to compete with cable

dont penalize the golden sticky DVR subs, or we will leave.!!!!

Time to remove the 381 I hardly use. While I'm at it going to set the 722 as the first receiver and 612 as the second.

So far they have not offered this service for HD D* (lifetime service) or HD except thru cable companies. They have also dropped it in the past.
As I stated in my post, a new TiVo receiver for DIRECTV is coming. As you are aware, there are already older DIRECTV receivers with TiVo, which in my opinion, still are better DVRs than what DISH offers. Charlie should have bought ReplayTV to gain its patents (and also the TiVo / ReplayTV settlement) instead of a lawsuit that will never go away.

I brought up lifetime because of people complaining about TiVo's fees when they have never used one.

So, according to my calculations, my bill will go up $20. I have 3 duos and AEP. It is $14 bucks now for my 2 additional recievers, which will go to $34. I purchased my boxes to not pay lease fees, now they want to charge me lease type rates.

What in the world is Dish thinking? That is a 15% price increase for me. If this does go through, I will definitely have to look at dropping premiums, a reciever, or Dish losing me as a customer after 9 years.

Been nice knowing you Dish. See ya on the flipside. Once I drop this on my boss she may think about having cable run to the hotel instead of these jacked up rates. She has an 11 room joint with 15 receivers.

I bet she drops them like a bad habit.

Hard to believe

As I stated in my post, a new TiVo receiver for DIRECTV is coming. As you are aware, there are already older DIRECTV receivers with TiVo, which in my opinion, still are better DVRs than what DISH offers. Charlie should have bought ReplayTV to gain its patents (and also the TiVo / ReplayTV settlement) instead of a lawsuit that will never go away.

I brought up lifetime because of people complaining about TiVo's fees when they have never used one.

It's hard for me to believe that they will offer lifetime on a D* HD DVR. I put in one of the 1st Tivos in the Seattle, WA. area many years ago. Like it but don't think much of their sue every one tactics. They are barely able to keep afloat that's why they are suing everyone. Bad business model seems like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)