Dish Pricing Update

I received another update...

The primary receiver will be based on the following hierarchy
1. 922 (slingloaded hd duo dvr) $17
2. 622 (hd duo dvr, to include 622, 622HZ, 722, 722k) $17
Please tell me that people who "own" their 622/722/922 receivers won't be paying the same $17 price as those who lease their receivers? That would be stupid because for those folks wanting a DVR in every room (most of us here) it is now cleaper to own TivoHD/MoxiHD...and Dish Network cannot keep-up with the Cable Triple Play.

...after Feb 1, the dvr fee will be $6.00 weather you have locals or not and their will no longer be any With DVR package discounts.

I found it hard to believe after the price increase if you order a 922 as your primary receiver there is only a $10 DVR fee associated with it, if so it may be worth considering a 922 with two 612s, making a total DVR fee at $30, cheaper than having four 612s. The 922 can then take care of one less used HD set as TV2.

Just an FYI, was was over at the Direct side, they have a email posting on there increases. Looks like DVR is 7.00 per month now. Not sure how much there programing pacages overall went up.

Yup for details on the price increase please see Here come the price increases - SatelliteGuys.US

But here is the cliff notes version...

Choice up $3 to $58.99
Choice Xtra up $3 to $63.99
Choice Plus DVR 69.99 up $4 from $65.99
Choice Plus HD DVR now $79.99 a month up $4 from $75.99
(DVR fee is up to $7 a month)
Premiere now $114.99 from 109.99 up $5.

This one clarifies things even more. :)

I am also hearing that Dish will announce the changes at CES. (I am still hearing they plan to promote the no programming price increase aspect, which I feel is wrong as people bills might still go up.)

Okay Scott I will ask you again: Does the way the DISH csr figures it in post #1 still apply ? For example he says he has two duo dvrs so he will get one 17.00 equipment charge, but he will get his dvr fee eliminated and his A/0 fee of 5.00 eliminated and rolled into his equipment fee , making his bill go up by 6.00.

17.00 equipment charge
05.00 minus A/0 fee
06.00 minus the extra dvr fee
---------------------------------
$6.00

Does this still apply or can you get any update clarification on the way he is figuring his bill. The not knowing is causing some real panic among many members here. Can you please help us out?

I have had my bill checked by a number of CSR's and all of them say my bill is going up about $30 a month.

Again I have Americas Everything Pack plus 6 HD DVR's, so I am one of those folks who will see the biggest increase. Most folks will see an increase of about 2 cents.

I have had my bill checked by a number of CSR's and all of them say my bill is going up about $30 a month.

Again I have Americas Everything Pack plus 6 HD DVR's, so I am one of those folks who will see the biggest increase. Most folks will see an increase of about 2 cents.

Off Topic Scott have you heard any news on Dish carrying EPIX HD?

Looks like Dish finally figured out how to get around the old receivers that were promised as no DVR fees.

I have a primary receiver 722 and three 522s. They were sent to me when Dish made everyone swap out the 721s, so I do not get charged the DVR fees.

Currently my fees are:
DuoDVR Receiver $5 - times 3 for a total of $15
Thats it.

If I am understanding the recent posts correctly my bill will change to:
DuoDVR Receiver $14 - times 3 = $42
DVR Fee $6
Total of $48

The difference will be $33.

So my bill will go from 100.99 to 133.98

Looks like I'll be dropping Starz, moving from Top 250 to top 200 and dropping the $10 HD TV add on.

So what the csr in post #1 said is true than. Good, I feel better than. :)

Now my other question is : Why so many dvrs ? I mean there is only you , your wife and son right? Can you really watch 6 dvrs and manage all of them ? Don't you have DIRECTV as well? Really I don't see how you can have any time to yourself at all.;)

That appears to me to be $15 x 5 for your 5 additional 622's minus $5 x5 for having those receivers connected to a phone line or internet + $6 dvr fee, when before you were paying $7 x 5 for additional receivers and $0 dvr fee. It appears you will pay a $31 increase, is this correct Scott? If this is the case, it appears that a $5 credit will be given if extra duo vip dvr receivers are connected to phone or internet.

I think my bill would increase by $16 (11.2%)???

Current:
AEP- $103
HD & Platinum- $10
Multi-Sport- $6
Leased Receiver Fee- $7 (I have two 722s)

Future:
DVR fee- $6
Assuming I retain current programming, same as above but $17 instead of the $7 charge for the second 722? (So...$23 - $7 = $16)

Last edited:
Here are my current equipment charges:

#1 - 622 - $7 ($5 A/O Fee)
#2 - 622 - $7 ($5 A/O Fee)
#3 - 612 - $5
#4 - 625 - $5 ($5 A/O Fee)
#5 - 522 - $5 ($5 A/O Fee)
#6 - 510 - $0

Total - $49

New Fees

DVR - $6

#1 - 622 $0
#2 - 622 $17
#3 - 625 $14
#4 - 522 $14
#5 - 612 $10
#6 - 510 $7

Total - $68

Increase of $19

If they don't give a discount for AEP, then I will drop down to AT250 and save $40 on the programming package and it will save me $21 overall. Dish will benefit, but HBO, Showtime and Starz are going to lose a lot of money over this. I wonder what they think about this.

Well in most cases people will pay a little more than they do today or sometimes less. THey will eliminate the WITH DVR packs that save you .98 over the traditional way. So those subs would see their bill go up by at least 1.00 since they will be accessing you a dvr fee of at least 6.00 on your bill regardless of your programming pack. The subs paying more than today will be those that have sd receivers on their accounts , because they will now be a standardized price for both sd and hd receivers.

But if you have a second hd dvr on your account you should see you are paying a 1.00 less than you do today. Today you pay 7.00 extra for the second hd dvr and a 5.98 dvr fee or bundled it would be 12.00. Now if you don't keep your phone line connected, you pay 5.00 more or 17.00 total (combined with the dvr fee & the additional lease or receiver fee) extra a month for the second dvr on your account. Using the csr example in post #1 , you would now receive a dvr credit of 6.00 and a 5.00 A/0 fee credit -if you keep your receiver plugged into a phone line , so you would only pay 6.00 a month total. This is a 1.00 less than the way you do it today. Now if you add the 1.00 increase in the dvr fee and subtract the 1.00 credit on the equipment fee , you would actually break even. So no increase at all. So it looks like a lot of people are getting upset over nothing. They are just shuffling the miscellaneous fees into one equipment fee and giving you credits for the extra dvr fee and the A/0 fee in another part of your bill . Now the 922 with a 10.00 dvr fee seems a little steep to me , but I am sure they are tacking on the sling fee to that one. But for most people you will actually see your bill go down , using the math of the DISH csr in post #1.

After 2/01/10

17.00 equipment fee
05.00 minus the A/0 fee
--------------------------------
$6.00 total

Vs the way we do it today

07.00 additional receiver or lease fee
05.00 extra dvr fee
05.00 A/0 fee if not connected to a phone line
------------------------------------------
17.00 total if no phone connected
12.00 total if the phone is connected

A savings of $6.00 which is the extra dvr fee that is now eliminated after the first.

Last edited:
Well in most cases people will pay a little more than they do today or sometimes less. THey will eliminate the WITH DVR packs that save you .98 over the traditional way. So those subs would see their bill go up by at least 1.00 since they will be accessing you a dvr fee of at least 6.00 on your bill regardless of your programming pack. The subs paying more than today will be those that have sd receivers on their accounts , because they will now be a standardized price for both sd and hd receivers.

But if you have a second hd dvr on your account you should see you are paying a 1.00 less than you do today. Today you pay 7.00 extra for the second hd dvr and a 5.98 dvr fee or bundled it would be 12.00. Now if you don't keep your phone line connected, you pay 5.00 more or 17.00 total (combined with the dvr fee & the additional lease or receiver fee) extra a month for the second dvr on your account. Using the csr example in post #1 , you would now receive a dvr credit of 6.00 and a 5.00 A/0 fee credit -if you keep your receiver plugged into a phone line , so you would only pay 6.00 a month total. This is a 1.00 less than the way you do it today. Now if you add the 1.00 increase in the dvr fee and subtract the 1.00 credit on the equipment fee , you would actually break even. So no increase at all. So it looks like a lot of people are getting upset over nothing. They are just shuffling the miscellaneous fees into one equipment fee and giving you credits for the extra dvr fee and the A/0 fee in another part of your bill . Now the 922 with a 10.00 dvr fee seems a little steep to me , but I am sure they are tacking on the sling fee to that one. But for most people you will actually see your bill go down , using the math of the DISH csr in post #1.

After 2/01/10

17.00 equipment fee
05.00 minus the A/0 fee
$6.00 total

05.00 extra dvr fee

A savings of $6.00 which is the extra dvr fee that is now eliminated after the first.

The "way I do it today":

$7 leased receiver fee (722)
Total: $7

After 2/1/10:

$17 equipment fee (2nd 722)
$6 DVR fee
Total: $23

Am I missing something? If not, I believe this qualifies as "a little more than today". Am I "getting upset over nothing"?

I sure hope I am overlooking something here... if not, I will be seeking other TV programming/provider options in a few weeks.

This one clarifies things even more. :)

I am also hearing that Dish will announce the changes at CES. (I am still hearing they plan to promote the no programming price increase aspect, which I feel is wrong as people bills might still go up.)
If you have AEP, your bill is certain to go up. A new $6 DVR fee along with the new receiver fees. If the fees you listed are correct, I am looking at a $7 increase for my 522 plus the $6 DVR fee. Bye, Bye AEP for sure.

After 2/01/10

17.00 equipment fee
05.00 minus the A/0 fee
$6.00 total

05.00 extra dvr fee

OK, this is what I am not understanding. If we are getting charged $6 DVR fee, how and why are you deducting it from the $17.00 charge? The $5 deduction checks for A/0. With my two 722s, I calculate a total $18.00 (6+17-5). Which puts me at $6.00 more than today.

The "way I do it today":

$7 leased receiver fee (722)
Total: $7

After 2/1/10:

$17 equipment fee (2nd 722)
$6 DVR fee
Total: $23

Am I missing something? ...

People are saying the $17 will not be charged for the first DVR, so you should have $1 saving. Although I found it hard to believe they will waive the whole $17 for the first DVR, which means a basic SD non-DVR cost the same as a DuoHDDVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts