Dish Pricing Update

I received another update...

This one clarifies things even more. :)

I am also hearing that Dish will announce the changes at CES. (I am still hearing they plan to promote the no programming price increase aspect, which I feel is wrong as people bills might still go up.)

So Scott what the hell are the 512 and the 522 model dvrs? Haven't heard anything about these. So is what the CSR said in the #1 post still true? Do you still get credit for the 5.00 A/0 fee and the 6.00 dvr fee , for extra dvrs on your account? Any new clarifications on those ?

I received another update...

This one clarifies things even more. :)

I am also hearing that Dish will announce the changes at CES. (I am still hearing they plan to promote the no programming price increase aspect, which I feel is wrong as people bills might still go up.)

Everyone with a dvr will have their bill go up simply because the dvr fee is increasing to 6.00. So the WITH DVR packs will go away it looks like also. Which means in my case I will see my bill go up by a $1.00 since I am saving .98 with the WITH DVR pack. Why the higher price for the 922 dvr fee ? IS that because of the sling loaded software?

... now it is just $10.

...now it will be just $10...

I think you left out the $6 DVR fee, so now it is $16. Seems to me the only ones that will see price decrease is if you have more than one solo 612 DVR, then for each additional solo 612 DVR you do not have to pay the $6 DVR fee for each one, just one $6 DVR fee for the whole account. That is a $3 decrease for each additional solo DVR because the lease fee will go up by $3 each. Also you will have to have more than two 612s to see a fee decrease.

Am I correct that you can lease up to four 612s?

Where is the 625 on the list?

Just for comparison, I currently have four DirecTV HDDVRs, total hardware fee is $25: $5/each + $5 DVR fee for the whole account.

To have a comparable DISH account it will be $46 fee: $10/each + $6 DVR fee for the whole account. Certainly does not help me trying to move from D to E. Not to mention currently all my D HDDVRs are networked and can do MRV. No worry to have recording conflict, I can have up to 8 HD programs recorded at the same time, and watch anyone of the recorded program from any one of my HDDVR.

So Scott what the hell are the 512 and the 522 model dvrs?
This is the first I've heard of the 512 too. I think it must be an SD version of the 612, i.e. a dual-tuner receiver built for only 1 TV. The 522 has been out for years; it's a 625 with a smaller disk.

Scott there was a rumor a few weeks ago that they would not charge any more for hd channels in the coming year. Meaning DISH could advertise : HD channels were FREE! IS this still true? IF they don't charge for hd channels any more that would definitely help take the sting out of some of the equipment charges.

I've got 1 622 w/ehd and 2 211's with ehd connected.

I also have 2 622 freshly refurbed I've been thinking of selling or wondering if the day would ever come when the dvr fee would be per account:eek:

Though with the 211 & ehd on a bedroom set not heavily watched a true dvr isn't as critical. You can still watch/record an ota channel while watching a satellite one or vice-verse.

So maybe good things come to those who wait:cool::D

I think you left out the $6 DVR fee, so now it is $16. Seems to me the only ones that will see price decrease is if you have more than one solo 612 DVR, then for each additional solo 612 DVR you do not have to pay the $6 DVR fee for each one, just one $6 DVR fee for the whole account. That is a $3 decrease for each additional solo DVR because the lease fee will go up by $3 each. Also you will have to have more than two 612s to see a fee decrease.

Am I correct that you can lease up to four 612s?

Where is the 625 on the list?

Just for comparison, I currently have four DirecTV HDDVRs, total hardware fee is $25: $5/each + $5 DVR fee for the whole account.

To have a comparable DISH account it will be $46 fee: $10/each + $6 DVR fee for the whole account. Certainly does not help me trying to move from D to E. Not to mention currently all my D HDDVRs are networked and can do MRV. No worry to have recording conflict, I can have up to 8 HD programs recorded at the same time, and watch anyone of the recorded program from any one of my HDDVR.

No, because that $6 dvr fee will soon be per account and not per receiver. That $10 for a 612 is if it is an extra dvr receiver and does not aplie if it is your primary receiver. Remember the programing package price includes 1 receiver at no additional charge, those charges on Scott's list are only for receivers in addition to the one that is included in your programing package. Examples; If you currently have AT250 w DVR and locals and say a 722 for your primary receiver connected to a phone line or internet connection and a 612 for an additional tv, you would be paying $57.99 for AT250 + $5 DVR fee + $5 locals + $0 primary receiver(722) + $7 additional receiver(612) + $5 additional DVR fee for a total of $89.99/mo. Starting Feb 1, 2010 the same package would be $57.99 AT250 + $5 locals + $0 primary receiver(722) + $6 dvr fee + $10 additional dvr receiver(612) + $0 2nd dvr fee for a new total of $88.99/mo for a decrease of $1. If this same example was without locals, currentley it would be AT250 $57.99 + $0 primary receiver(722) + $5.98 dvr fee + $7 additional receiver(612) + $5.98 2nd dvr fee for a total of $76.95/mo. Starting Feb 1, 2010 the same account would be $57.99 AT250 + $0 primary receiver(722) + $6 dvr fee + $10 additional dvr receiver(612) + $0 2nd dvr fee for a total of $73.99/mo for a reduction of $2.96.

So, with Scott's latest report my AEP + DHPP + 622 + 510 + 501 would be:
for AEP: $102.98 (currently 102.98)
for DHPP: $6 (currently $5.99)
for DVR's: $6.00 (currently 0)
for 622: (Free as primary receiver? Currently 0)
for 510: $7.00 (currently 5.00)
for 501: $7.00 (currently 5.00)

That nets out to a total price increase per month of $10.01.

In theory then, these prices are fixed, with the only variable being the programming. Thus if I go to the Gold250 (62.99) I can decrease my monthly costs by $29.99 as the package is $39.99 less than the AEP pack.

That is a significant savings. I wonder what the impact of my decreased programming expense to dish is? The DVR and receiver, and DHHP costs are all their money. The programming part usually is separated out to the channels. I wonder what their true income lost is when someone drops from AEP to Gold250? My guess it isn't much and will be a greater impact on some of those AEP only channels when they loose potential viewers. About the only one I might mis is DIY, and some of the movie channels when I'm home sick.

I downgraded from AEP to 250, sounds from what I read the "higher" end subs that have had AEP are moving down to 250.

For me:

for Plat HD: $10.00 (currently 10.00)
for 722: (Free as primary receiver? Currently 0)
for 622: $17.00 (currently 12.00)

Current = $136.98

New = $152.98

Looks like a $16 increase for me or 11.7%.

I would now threaten and rant about switching to Directv, but I have already tried their HR series of DVRs and could never, ever live with those terrible pieces of crap.

If Dish does not give me some sort of monthly credit, I will switch to Classic Gold 250.

Last edited:
Are you forgetting the 6 per DVR

For me:

for 722: (Free as primary receiver? Currently 0)

Current = $126.98

New = $142.98

Looks like a $16 increase for me or 12.6%.

I would now threaten and rant about switching to Directv, but I have already tried their HR series of DVRs and could never, ever live with those terrible DVRs.

If Dish does not give me some sort of monthly credit, I will switch to Classic Gold 250.

Are all the DVR fees waived for all the DVR's on AEP?

So is what the CSR said in the #1 post still true? Do you still get credit for the 5.00 A/0 fee and the 6.00 dvr fee , for extra dvrs on your account? Any new clarifications on those ?

Yes indeed...what about that, Scott? Or are his comments in post #1 totally irrelevant at this point??? If not, a lot of folks are are overly glooming and dooming.

I think a nice gesture would to be to "grandfather" those with AEP and still have DVR fees waived, if you change after the new prices, you then lose that benefit

...Remember the programing package price includes 1 receiver at no additional charge, those charges on Scott's list are only for receivers in addition to the one that is included in your programing package. Examples; If you currently have AT250 w DVR and locals and say a 722 for your primary receiver connected to a phone line or internet connection and a 612 for an additional tv, you would be paying $57.99 for AT250...

I thougt the $57.99 already included the DVR receiver fee. The first DVR receiver fee is not waived, just already included in the "AT250 w DVR" package. If you do not have a DVR, your "AT250" cost is less than the "AT250 w DVR" package.

The question is whether the "AT250 w DVR" package cost will go up by $3 if the $10 612 (primary receiver) fee is also included in the package after the price increase.

I thougt the $57.99 already included the DVR receiver fee. The first DVR receiver fee is not waived, just already included in the "AT250 w DVR" package. If you do not have a DVR, your "AT250" cost is less than the "AT250 w DVR" package.

The question is whether the "AT250 w DVR" package cost will go up by $3 if the $10 612 (primary receiver) fee is also included in the package after the price increase.

No, AT250 w/DVR is $67.99 and includes both locals and the DVR feed. AT250 w/locals but no dvr is $62.99, AT250 with neither locals nor dvr is $57.99. If you want a dvr without locals, you have to add $5.98, after Feb 1, the dvr fee will be $6.00 weather you have locals or not and their will no longer be any With DVR package discounts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)