Dish Pro Plus with 211K receiver, I cannot get satellite 110

GONORTH

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Minnesota
First I am in Minnesota, I believe I have the skew and elevation set correctly for my location.

If a 211K is not intended to work with a DPP LNB 1K.2 without a DPP44 switch then you can probably ignore all the details below and confirm that I need that switch. Or some other three satellite dish setup.

I am trying to use 211K's because I want HD in each room which is why I am avoiding the dual tuner boxes.

Here are the symptoms I am seeing.
I replaced my Dish500 antenna with used Turbo HD Dish and used 1K.2 LNB.
I cannot get satellite 110. Maybe one of the LNBs is dead or hopefully I just don't have it pointed quite right. I have done numerous check switches, it always comes up with 119 and 129 good and nothing for 110.

When I check signal strength using the 211k I get.

When looking for 121 I get 129 at 50+% (I know I don't want 121 but thought it might help diagnose this)
When looking for 129 I get 129 at 50+%
When looking for 119 I get 119 at 50+%
When looking for 110 I get 129 at 50+%, that is not a typo, I get 129 here too.

So, I went up on the roof with a couple of tin cans to cover LNB's and here is what I get. The view is standing behind the dish looking toward the LNB's.

Right two LNBs covered up I get nothing
outside two LNBs covered up I get satellite 129
Left two LNBs covered up I get 119.

I have found conflicting documentation about which of the three LNBs is suposed to be looking at which sattelite.
So I think I have one of three possible problems.

1) That left LNB is pointing at 110 but it is dead
2) I have the dish pointed too far left or right and I am geting just the the right two satellites (119 and 129) instead of all three, leaving that left LNB pointing to nothing.
I am hopefull that this is my problem but I have tried rotating left and right with no success. I am thinking that since satellite 129 comes in when looking for
126, 121, and 110 that might be a hint that I am pointed wrong, just don't know if I should focus more to the east or more to the west.
3) The combination of DPP and 211K is not supported.

I am getting most of the programming that I care about so I am OK for now, family has not complained much yet. However I would like to get 110 into the mix.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

welcome :wave from another Minnesotan

The 211k will work with a Dish 1000.2 and you dont need any external switches. Just hook it up to the LNB

When working with multiple LNB's they are opposite what they are in the sky (due to the reflection off the dish). So if you are behind the dish moving it 129 is on the left, 119 middle and 110 right

It sounds like you are getting 129 on the middle LNB and 119 on the far right....so you need to move the dish slightly to the left and up a smidge

By the way, I have 4 RG6 lines available from my low voltage distribution panel to where the dish is so it would not be hard to install a switch inside where I have power and can work where it is warm. -10 right now and it has not been a lot better during the day when I was on the roof.

Thanks Iceberg, I was thinking it was more likely I had to rotate left (more toward the south) and have tried that twice now. Most recent attempt was with the tin cans over the outside two lnbs. No luck, but I did not tilt up any at the same time so that's an option I could try yet. I am thinking the rotation should be 10 degrees. I scratched the mounting plate and the mast at the point where it is sort of working so I could return to that point. I rotated as far as to get a quarater of an inch offset in those scratches. I can't imagine that wouldn't be well over a 10 degree rotation.

I even did an additional check switch after rotating to an offset in the scratches of about an eighth of an inch but that still didn't help.

one thing no note is a DIsh500 will have different "skew" (tilt) than a D1000.2
A D5000 looks at 114.5 (half way between 110 & 119) whereas a D1000.2 looks at 119

I dont know exactly where in MN you are so I checked a couple locations using dishpointer.com
I selected D1000.2 and got the following for skew

Warroad...109
Brainerd...112
Duluth...113

so it does vary depending on where you are.

when you run check switch what is the order of the sats? you should have 119,110 and 129 in that order. if you are seeing something different you alignment is off....which is what it sounds like form your post...from behind the dish 110 is the middle, 119 in the left and 129 is the right......the reverse of where the sats are in the sky.....GL

I got the settings right out of the 1K.2 install manual. Zip 559xx, elevation 32, Skew 115. I did make a very slight elevation adjustment after that less than a degree up or down, not sure.
I didn't use a compass to set the azimuth, I just pointed the same way the dish500 was and ended up a bit farther right of that.

I can't do a check switch right now but the status screen lists 129 first, 119 second, the rest are blank.

From earlier tests:
Right two LNBs covered up I get nothing
outside two LNBs covered up I get satellite 129
Left two LNBs covered up I get 119.

So yes, it does appear like I am aimed wrong based on that. But, adjustments to the Azimuth with the outside two lnb's covered with tin cans do not seem to be finding 119 at all.

From behind the dish: from left to right; 110 is first and highest in space of the three satellites. As the arc decreases 119 is next and then 129 follows. Just the opposite on LNB except 119 which is center. Brainerd requires about 31 elevation 112 skew. The reason check switch shows 119 then 110 is dishnetwork software. Satellite finder gives info on your location. Go to dishpointer.com put in zip then pick out 1000.2 in multisat. Good luck

I couldn't imagine that dishfinder would say anything different than what the install manual for the dish said but I looked anyway. I can't tune to the tenth of a degree difference in the numbers with the equipment I have. Maybe the military can with their 10' mobile dish setups but I can't. They could also watch Tiffany Lakoski siting in her deer stand with their equipment.

Elevation: 32.7°Azimuth (true): 215.6°
Azimuth (magn.): 215.7°
LNB Skew [?]: 24.7°
arrow-l.png
arrow-r.png

Dish Skew [?]: 114.7°

boy I'd like to see THAT dish ;)
I already told the OP how they are set up when standing behind the dish....dont confuse them

it is a custom dish....LMAO......my bad....a few too many beers last night......sorry for the confusion......just a typing error....

SUCCESS :)

Iceberg said I needed to rotate the dish slightly left and up a smidge, made sense to me. So a few days ago I did that, I went left some and nothing, then up a smidge and nothing. Went up some more and all the way up at 40 degrees elevation I got a signal. Down on the TV it said I had found 129 on all three LNBs. I had seen junk like that in my earlier testing, combined with that the specs said I sould be at 32 degrees elevation I brushed it off as a reflection off the edge of the dish or whatever. I reset the dish back to where I had 119 and 129 before and called it a day as my hands were geting cold.

The more I though about it the more I thought I migh have needed to do a check switch at that point. But I had to do some calculating first. Instead of finally using a compass I dd even better. I calculated the time that the sun would be at an Asmuth of 214 degrees and planned my next attack on the dish for that time. 2:40 PM Then I made the assumption that I was currently in fact pointed directly at 129 I would need to move 10 degrees left, then calculated that the mounting bracket had to turn until I had about 1/8 to 3/16 inch difference in the way the bracket was positioned on the mast to get a 10 degree rotation.

Yesterday at 2:35 I headed to the roof. Made the Axmuth adjustments that I had calculated. Rotation relative to the mast also took it to where it was pointed square at the sun. It was about the same position where I had signal on all 3 satellites a few days earlier. I slowly tilted the elevation up to where I had it a few days earlier which was 40 degrees. My wife said I had signal on all 3 satellites but still no 110 listed for any of the three. I had her start a check switch and headed down. Sure enough, check switch now said I had: 119 110 129 locked and listed in that order. After some additional very minor adjustments I had the followng signals.

All on transponder 21. 119=68, 110=49, 129=57

The thing that still baffles me is my Elevation is set at 40, but the specs say it should be 32 or 32.7 depending where you look. My mast could be off slightly but not more than a degree or two. The elevation bracket had scratches on it like it had been set close to that position before.

Thanks for the help, definetly takes more thinking to point this dish than it did for my dish 500.

Last edited:
SUCCESS :)

Iceberg said I needed to rotate the dish slightly left and up a smidge, made sense to me. So a few days ago I did that, I went left some and nothing, then up a smidge and nothing. Went up some more and all the way up at 40 degrees elevation I got a signal. Down on the TV it said I had found 129 on all three LNBs. I had seen junk like that in my earlier testing, combined with that the specs said I sould be at 32 degrees elevation I brushed it off as a reflection off the edge of the dish or whatever. I reset the dish back to where I had 119 and 129 before and called it a day as my hands were geting cold.

The more I though about it the more I thought I migh have needed to do a check switch at that point. But I had to do some calculating first. Instead of finally using a compass I dd even better. I calculated the time that the sun would be at an Asmuth of 214 degrees and planned my next attack on the dish for that time. 2:40 PM Then I made the assumption that I was currently in fact pointed directly at 129 I would need to move 10 degrees left, then calculated that the mounting bracket had to turn until I had about 1/8 to 3/16 inch difference in the way the bracket was positioned on the mast to get a 10 degree rotation.

Yesterday at 2:35 I headed to the roof. Made the Axmuth adjustments that I had calculated. Rotation relative to the mast also took it to where it was pointed square at the sun. It was about the same position where I had signal on all 3 satellites a few days earlier. I slowly tilted the elevation up to where I had it a few days earlier which was 40 degrees. My wife said I had signal on all 3 satellites but still no 110 listed for any of the three. I had her start a check switch and headed down. Sure enough, check switch now said I had: 119 110 129 locked and listed in that order. After some additional very minor adjustments I had the followng signals.

All on transponder 21. 119=68, 110=49, 129=57

The thing that still baffles me is my Elevation is set at 40, but the specs say it should be 32 or 32.7 depending where you look. My mast could be off slightly but not more than a degree or two. The elevation bracket had scratches on it like it had been set close to that position before.

Thanks for the help, definetly takes more thinking to point this dish than it did for my dish 500.

Congrats on finally getting it dialed in. Your mast is probably off a bit and the scale on the elevation isn't always exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I am new to this forum and am having trouble getting my Turbo HD dish set up. The LNB is a DP Plus Digital LNB and the number on the LNB start with A2102. The check switch test shows only the 110 satellite and #2 & #3 show conn. I can only get the 110 satellite and the dish is set to 230, 39 and 130 skew. I only have one coax coming from the #1 terminal. Do I have to have any other boxes. Also the dish pointing only gives me an option of 300, 500 and SUPER for the DISH system. Also, can someone tell me how to start a thread on this site. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts