DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

This sounds interesting, kinda like one stop shopping:

* Dish plans to offer its customers later this year a new feature -- likely through its Dish Anywhere app -- for streaming Disney's content that are currently available through Disney's online channels, including Watch ESPN, Watch Disney, Watch ABC Family and Watch ABC. Dish users will have to authenticate their subscription before using the feature.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/03/03/dish-network-walt-disney-internet-tv/5984663/

I get 30 seconds on the first push. But if I keep pressing fast it will go to 1m, 1m 30s, 2m, 2m 30s, 3m. I am not sure how far it will go. Its like if you have a microwave with a 30 second button on it, and you can keep pressing it to add 30 seconds. I find that it has to be quick presses, if you delay too much it won't add.

I just ran a test on a 4 hr 30 min recording. Got it up to 59 minutes with real fast pushes, then it starts over. So I guess the answer to how far fast pushes goes is 60 minutes. I have two soaps we watch daily memorized. I do a fast press 12 times for a six minute commercial and 6 times for 3 minute ones. I can nail it every time for the six minute commercial and most the time for the three minute one. Any thing to please the Mrs!! Sometimes I wish she would take over the remote control duties. But when she does she screws it all up, I think on purpose!!

I'm glad the deal if finally complete. Concerning the autohop feature, I don't watch very much on ABC so probably won't affect me to much....now if it was CBS or NBC, as I'm sure it will be going forward, it will make a noticeable difference. The 30 sec. skip forward button will get more use, it looks like.
Hope the light-up of the HD channels is soon.

For me the most interesting thing was;

"Dish and Disney said they are looking at dynamically inserting ads into programming based on viewer data, developing new ways of advertising on mobile devices, and measuring viewing for longer than the current industry standard that includes the live broadcast plus three days of DVR viewing."

I just ran a test on a 4 hr 30 min recording. Got it up to 59 minutes with real fast pushes, then it starts over. So I guess the answer to how far fast pushes goes is 60 minutes. I have two soaps we watch daily memorized. I do a fast press 12 times for a six minute commercial and 6 times for 3 minute ones. I can nail it every time for the six minute commercial and most the time for the three minute one. Any thing to please the Mrs!! Sometimes I wish she would take over the remote control duties. But when she does she screws it all up, I think on purpose!!

Sorry, need to correct myself. On a re-test of the skip forward button, quick pushes did not end at 59 minutes. It actually keeps going and starts to show hours and minutes skipped, no more 30 second intervals. It actually still skips every 30 seconds after it starts showing 2 hours or more, just displays in minutes in the window pop up. I fianally stopped after about 2 hours 40 minutes. Didn't want to wear out my skip button. Sorry to get off topic in this thread. No more post from me about the skip forward button.

Last edited:
For me the most interesting thing was;

"Dish and Disney said they are looking at dynamically inserting ads into programming based on viewer data, developing new ways of advertising on mobile devices, and measuring viewing for longer than the current industry standard that includes the live broadcast plus three days of DVR viewing."
Link

I'm just saying. ;)

As I don't use PTAT and thus Autohop, I'm fine as long as 30sec skip still works.
I agree - AutoHop is nice, but for as little programming as I watch from the Big 4 (I don't think I watch anything on ABC), I think I'll survive. Almost 10 years of DVR experience has made me pretty good with the 30-second skip-ahead button.

This is not a defense of Dish either. Everyone knew that AutoHop was going to be controversial with the networks and something was going to give...

I wonder if this 3 day autohop delay is just on ABC O/O stations or all ABC stations
Dish doesn't distinguish where the program comes from. There's a "tag" or identifier in the programs or something, regardless of if they come from a privately-owned station, corporate-owned stations, or if it comes via OTA (yes, I know, it's one of the two previously as well). Because AutoHop works on OTA is the reason I believe this to be correct.

Might have been Dish's plan all along to use it as leverage in negotiations. As usual customers get caught in the middle of all these games.
Charlie stated a while ago that AutoHop was a bargaining chip with the networks. Dish probably knew this from the very first mention of the concept too.

Im hoping that Dish got every channel that is available in hd....if they did not add it in hd i would be somewhat surprised...is the disney west channel in hd on any other provider???

I'm guessing it will be a bit before the channels light up,the reason I say that is because it will take Dish a bit to re-write the hopper s/w and push the updates.

I did not get anything out of this agreement, but lose Autohop! This sucks. I guess that I will just wait three days to watch any ABC show to get even with them. Nothing really that good on ABC anyway.
Also, what is the Longhorn channel, another western movie channel. Who cares.

I'm guessing it will be a bit before the channels light up,the reason I say that is because it will take Dish a bit to re-write the hopper s/w and push the updates.
nope no software rewrite needed.

They will just delay sending out the ABC Commercial Skip List XML file for 3 days.

There is NOTHING to re-write, nor any updates that need pushed.

nope no software rewrite needed.

They will just delay sending out the ABC Commercial Skip List XML file for 3 days.

I would have swore one of those articles cited that Dish would need to re-write the autohop s/w.Finding it now would be like a needle in a haystack though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)