DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

I didn't read any of them, but are they the same ones that says the Hopper "deletes" commercials ? As Scott said, the ad-skipping process is somewhat manually driven by a file with markers that tells the function when to skip ahead and when to stop, if it exists and matches up with recordings. Dish will simply modify the file to include last night's CBS, FOX, and NBC shows and not insert the data for the ABC shows until three days later.

"ABC On Demand, a fast forward-disabled service that features a selection of top-rated primetime entertainment programming, including episodes of such popular current ABC shows as “Scandal,” “Castle,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Once Upon A Time” and “Revenge.”

This is not unique to Dish. I have direct now and I think most of their network on demand is FF disabled. Any idea on why that is? I could understand the no ff of the commercials but you can not skip threw the shows. So if you fell asleep watching a show and just wanted to catch the last half on demand you would have to watch the first half again at normal speed. Heck if you are watching an on demand show and think you missed something and backtrack a bit to see what you missed you could not even ff to get back to the point you were already at. I just do not get the why on this when if you had it DVRed you could ff threw the whole thing. Anyone get the reasoningon this?

So the ratings period that ABC is worried about ,roughly 3 days from the debut, does that mean they won't count the ratings from the dvrs after that three days? Because I can easily wait 3 days before I watch any ABC show ,if it means escaping the commercials. I often don't watch a lot of my shows till the weekend when I am off work and have time to watch them all.

This clears up the channel thing and On Demand here..

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...undbreaking-long-term-wide-ranging-agreement/

New Multi-Year Deal to Deliver Best in Sports, News and Entertainment to DISH Customers, In and Out of the Home

DISH First to Secure Rights to Carry Disney, ABC and ESPN Networks for Over-the-Top, Personal Subscription Service

Landmark Deal Adds Disney Junior, Fusion, Longhorn Network, ESPN3, To-Be-Launched SEC ESPN Network and the Full Suite of Authenticated WATCH Services

Expanded Video-On-Demand Content Available to DISH Customers at Home, On-The-Go

As part of the agreement, DISH will launch ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Disney Channel and ABC Family in high definition. ESPN Classic will be reintroduced as a video-on-demand channel.

The extensive and expanded rights package gives DISH customer access to video-on-demand content at home, on computers and on-the-go through the DISH Anywhere app for tablets and smartphones, including:

ABC On Demand, a fast forward-disabled service that features a selection of top-rated primetime entertainment programming, including episodes of such popular current ABC shows as “Scandal,” Castle,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Once Upon A Time” and “Revenge.”

ABC Family On Demand, which features a variety of top-rated full episodes, refreshed monthly, from such popular millennial favorites as “The Fosters,” ”Switched at Birth,” “Baby Daddy” and “Melissa & Joey.”

Disney-branded On Demand offerings, including Disney Channel On Demand, Disney Junior On Demand, and Disney XD On Demand. Refreshed each month, the Disney Channel On Demand offering will include episodes from such series as “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse,” “Sofia the First” and “Jake and the Never Land Pirates” for preschoolers, as well as variety of episodes from “A.N.T. Farm,” “Liv and Maddie,” “Jessie” and other popular series for older kids. Select episodes featured on Disney Channel On Demand will be available in innovative new offerings, such as playlists and monthly programming blocks, in addition to a number of episodes available in multiple languages. A variety of Disney Channel Original Movies will also be available. Disney XD On Demand features a selection of episodes from such series as the Emmy Award-winning animated hit “Phineas and Ferb,” “Pair of Kings” and “Kickin’ It.”

Expanded On Demand content from ESPN, including content from ESPN Deportes and ESPN’s award-winning original content from ESPN Films.
The companies also renewed carriage agreement for ABC’s eight owned local stations, including WABC-TV in New York City, KABC-TV in Los Angeles, WLS-TV in Chicago, WPVI-TV in Philadelphia, KGO-TV in San Francisco, WTVD-TV in Raleigh-Durham, KTRK-TV in Houston, and KFSN in Fresno.

The Walt Disney Company and Dish Network said Monday they've agreed to a new carriage deal that restricts an ad-skipping feature in Dish's digital recorder and grants the satellite TV service provider new streaming rights.
The companies have been in litigation over Dish's ad-skipping technology, called AutoHop, that was available in Dish's Hopper with Slingbox. Hopper is a DVR that allows Dish subscribers to watch live TV and recordings online or through an app.
Hopper's PrimeTime Anytime feature records the primetime content of the four major broadcast networks. But the networks, which rely on advertising revenues, have opposed its AutoHop ad-skipping feature. In the deal, Dish and Disney agreed to dismiss their lawsuit and turn off AutoHop for Disney's shows for three days after the show has aired. The feature will be available for other networks' programming.
Disney channels, including Disney, ESPN and ABC, have been airing on Dish's lineup despite the expiration of their carriage contract in September. The carriage contract details the financial and operations terms between the two parties, including the amount of money Dish pays Disney for its channels. ESPN is by far the most popular cable network.
Under the terms of the new deal, Dish also receives several streaming options.
* Dish has the right to offer -- though it didn't commit to offering it -- live-streaming of Disney's channels, including ABC and ESPN, as a separate service.
* Dish plans to offer its customers later this year a new capability for streaming -- likely through an app and desktop -- Disney's content that are currently available through Disney's online channels, including Watch ESPN, Watch Disney, Watch ABC Family and Watch ABC. Dish users will have to authenticate their subscription before using the feature.
* Dish's on-demand video feature will include Disney's content, which is currently missing.
* Dish will make available for the first time several channels, including Disney Junior, Fusion, ESPN Goal Line and ESPN Buzzer Beater.
* Dish will launch ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Disney Channel and ABC Family in high definition.
"We're constructive on this deal for Disney," wrote Drew Crum, an analyst at Stifel in a report Monday. It "removes the risk of a blackout...and provides opportunities for incremental revenue with the inclusion of video on demand."

Well good thing is this will put things back the way it use to be plus a few new channels here and there.

I can't believe Dish hasn't given retailers any news on this yet. They didn't even post the press release. I think I was the first to post any info about it on the Portal.

I wonder if Disney gave Dish engineers access to the HD streams in advance of the contract signing? It would making turning them on a lot faster.

I wonder if Disney gave Dish engineers access to the HD streams in advance of the contract signing? It would making turning them on a lot faster.
If they turned them on today or in two weeks, would it make any difference ? Nobody is missing anything from before (if you've been with Dish).

It looks like content providers are starting to realize that streaming is not the enemy, but the future. In fact, it provides a way for them to force commercials down the viewers' throats. No skipping ads on streaming feeds, unless they want you to, which they don't.

It's amazing it took them so long to realize it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)