DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

I have never left DISH over the lack of channels carried or the threats of channels being dropped or even channels blacked out for a few weeks. I prefer their service to the competitors in my area (Time Warner Cable )and even to DIRECTV. I have had all 3 services at different times in the last 17 years and even had both satellite services for a while in 2001 and again in 2007. Mostly because I wanted to see what DIRECTV had in the way of HD that DISH didn't have . But I just downgraded my DISH account to the just hd absolute pack for like $39.99 back when they had it. But after 6 months I was ready to drop Directv again ,because DISH had surpassed them in hd channels I actually watched. The only way I would leave DISH is if the programming price and the receiver prices and FEES get to be too high. Sadly this may become a reality in the next few years, with all the increases in FEES and the annual programming price hikes.
Mike, well said and no disagreement. But it is what it is. All TV providers are GUARANTEED to increase fees annually. Just like every other bill. I just got a $47.00 dollar budget/monthly increase in my gas bill after two years. Obviously, can't shop around. My property taxes went up nearly $200 this year. Can't change that unless I move. TV, LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE is going to increase. That's All Folks!

Mike, well said and no disagreement. But it is what it is. All TV providers are GUARANTEED to increase fees annually. Just like every other bill. I just got a $47.00 dollar budget/monthly increase in my gas bill after two years. Obviously, can't shop around. My property taxes went up nearly $200 this year. Can't change that unless I move. TV, LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE is going to increase. That's All Folks!

yep, that is unfortunately the way it goes. Just got a $6 a month increase from Cox because they say their cost of doing business increased, they did bump us up in speed, but it was just really them doing away with lower tiers of service and pushing everyone up a tier, but they couldn't tell everyone that, had to use the cost of doing business increased BS.

That's all true. Our gas bill went up too. The difference is we have to have gas for heat. We don't have to have pay TV. We can afford it so we pay it and enjoy it. I know that Dish is like all businesses and will raise fees. When they do get to high we'll drop it. Either that or do a 2 year switch.

So I don't really lump pay TV in with necessities. No one has to have Dish. They increase to much and then it's.... Thats all folks for Dish. I don't know how anyone can but I get your points. Good posts guys.

That's all true. Our gas bill went up too. The difference is we have to have gas for heat. We don't have to have pay TV. We can afford it so we pay it and enjoy it. I know that Dish is like all businesses and will raise fees. When they do get to high we'll drop it. Either that or do a 2 year switch.

So I don't really lump pay TV in with necessities. No one has to have Dish. They increase to much and then it's.... Thats all folks for Dish. I don't know how anyone can but I get your points. Good posts guys.

You don't need gas, wood stove works wonders.

In a couple of years, I will face a decision. Stay with Dish, where I have been quite happy, or go with Fios, which will be cheaper, at least for a couple years, maybe more. Fios offers some special localized channels, but I'd lose a couple or more. Would they really be cheaper over the long run? I doubt it. REAL WORLD: In a year or so, I'll have to decide if we can afford Dish. Start burning DVDs, of which I have plenty, from EHDs. And then downgrade or drop Dish. Our income has dropped. Unless something happens soon, we'll have to really seriously consider downgrading and then dropping pay TV. Thankfully, we still have local libraries, and we love books. And a great deal of what we want to watch is FREE on streaming, Youtube etc.

In a couple of years, I will face a decision. Stay with Dish, where I have been quite happy, or go with Fios, which will be cheaper, at least for a couple years, maybe more. Fios offers some special localized channels, but I'd lose a couple or more. Would they really be cheaper over the long run? I doubt it. REAL WORLD: In a year or so, I'll have to decide if we can afford Dish. Start burning DVDs, of which I have plenty, from EHDs. And then downgrade or drop Dish. Our income has dropped. Unless something happens soon, we'll have to really seriously consider downgrading and then dropping pay TV. Thankfully, we still have local libraries, and we love books. And a great deal of what we want to watch is FREE on streaming, Youtube etc.

I'm in the same boat somewhat. I'm finding it harder and harder to justify the monthly cost. It's harder and harder to find anything other than repeats on most of the time. I have hard drives full of stuff I've ripped from my dvd collection and I watch a lot of foreign tv through a couple of vpns, so that and Hulu Plus suits me for everything but Football. I've been lucky this year as most of the games I want to watch have been OTA, so espn and FS1 have gotten very little use. I will probably go on Dish Pause once football is over, and use my Paldvr and HDHomerun to record OTA and stream those files and my library around the house from my NAS to my wdtv boxes. I might actually catch up on some books then too.

It's the new items now that are part of discussion that have to be worked out now, how media will be distributed in the future I think will now be a major discussion point with all distributors Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

ANd that is why I think it might get ugly before an agreement is done. It is agreement on uncharted territory and neither will want to compromise.

It's the new items now that are part of discussion that have to be worked out now, how media will be distributed in the future I think will now be a major discussion point with all distributors Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

ANd that is why I think it might get ugly before an agreement is done. It is agreement on uncharted territory and neither will want to compromise.
The bright side is there's no reason to black out anything anytime soon. If nothing else Dish and Disney should keep things as they are while trying to come to an agreement. Dish knows they'll have a hard time explaining to their customers how they dropped ESPN because they couldn't broadcast their product over the internet and/or wireless cell service. We already get the service we agreed to pay for.

But it may not take Dish dropping the programming. Without an agreement the mouse could pull it too. If this continues to drag on with no movement at some point one side will try to inflict pain on the other.

The bright side is there's no reason to black out anything anytime soon. If nothing else Dish and Disney should keep things as they are while trying to come to an agreement. Dish knows they'll have a hard time explaining to their customers how they dropped ESPN because they couldn't broadcast their product over the internet and/or wireless cell service. We already get the service we agreed to pay for.

As I read that NY Times link, if Dish has agreed to the amount of money that is going to be paid in the future, I definitely don't see Disney pulling the channels right now - not during NFL season or the BCS games. Maybe in mid Jan they would pull it if no deal is made to try and gain some leverage, or if the courts say something about the hopper that Disney doesn't like, but I can't see Disney wanting to lose eyeballs during NFL and College Football season.

If you have the wood.

TheOffice-ThatsWhatSheSaid-Michael1.jpg

Dish dropped CBS. Years ago

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Make that CBS/ Viacom. MTV. Nick. Etc

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Gee, then why can I watch them? But your twisted logic is wrong. Dish dodn't drop them. Legally if there is no contract or agreement, Dish has no retransmission agreement and cannot legally transmit them. Again your anti Dish trolls are wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)