DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Actually Dish has pulled some channels,see chiller,and G4.But nothing on the scale of disney and viacom.They did threaten to drop AMC at one point,actually moved the channels to an obscure channel location.

When did DISH actually have Chiller?

When did Dish pull Chiller?

actually, i think Teehar confused Cloo for Chiller. Cloo was dropped by Dish recently. Chiller is still on the lineup.

Actually Dish has pulled some channels,see chiller,and G4.But nothing on the scale of disney and viacom.They did threaten to drop AMC at one point,actually moved the channels to an obscure channel location.

Never pulled Chiller, and G4 will not exist very shortly so you are stretching to the point of breaking saying they dropped it.

Never pulled Chiller, and G4 will not exist very shortly so you are stretching to the point of breaking saying they dropped it.

My apologies,it was Cloo,not chiller.And yes Dish put up a slate stating we continually evaluate our programming,and decided to remove this channel.Don't get me wrong,I'll certainly miss either of them,but the point remains that Dish does sometimes pull channels.

Sounds like Dish wants to become an IPTV distributor as well a satellite distributor. Where as Disney would rather that you watch it through their WatchESPN app instead. I wonder what it is that Disney doesn't like about the Dish Anywhere site that NBC, HBO, CBS, NFL Network, et al seem to be ok with?

From Wiki, Direct dropped G4 back in 2010 and when I went to their web site, it hasn't been updated since August. So, manybe Dish didn't drop it. It crashed and burned.

ARGH... watching MNF and lost the HD feed... said switching to SD feed which its on now. I'm EA. Anyone else out?

ETA.. and the HD feed is back.... WHEW

I think Scott is referring to the current ESPN/DISNEY dispute.

You are correct, however, that he has pulled channels in the past. VOOM replayed the same, tired programming for the last few years anyone with a DVR should have captured their entire catalog . :p

Sometimes the programing a channel provides runs its course, the value they bring to the subscriber is no longer worth the cost to the provider and it's time to move on.

Didn't we get some ridiculous number of HD channels as soon as the plug was pulled on VOOM?

Many providers dropped it on November 1st. If you go to the G4 Website you will see its full of goodbyes. Of course DIRECTV pulled it a few yeas ago.

To me the channel died when they pulled the plug on Tech TV.

I wish someone would pick up and air Leo Laporte's Twit.TV network. That would be a channel I would watch a lot.

Not true or did you forget about the voom fiasco.
No you are miss quoting what I said, I was replying to Juan who said that Charlie had balls to pulls ESPN. I was replying back to him that Charlie didn't pull anything. (In regards to ESPN)

I know he has pulled other things... I was just talking about this dispute. :)

Many providers dropped it on November 1st. If you go to the G4 Website you will see its full of goodbyes. Of course DIRECTV pulled it a few yeas ago.

To me the channel died when they pulled the plug on Tech TV.

I wish someone would pick up and air Leo Laporte's Twit.TV network. That would be a channel I would watch a lot.

Almost the same, the only show I ever watched on G4 was X-Play but only because I was a viewer of Extended Play on Tech TV amongst other shows like the Screensavers. Eventually X-Play went downhill and I stopped watching about a year before they fired Sessler. The problem is the audience that G4 was geared too (gamers) started to get all their information online and really had no reason to watch the channel. That is when G4 started to have an identity crisis. I support the decision to remove this channel because there is no need for a channel that you can get content elsewhere on the same service. Episodes of Cops runs on SpikeTV and TruTV and episodes of Airwolf and Knight Rider are on Hulu+. I still wish they would get FEARNet on Dish Network.

Sounds like Dish wants to become an IPTV distributor as well a satellite distributor. Where as Disney would rather that you watch it through their WatchESPN app instead. I wonder what it is that Disney doesn't like about the Dish Anywhere site that NBC, HBO, CBS, NFL Network, et al seem to be ok with?

Charlie is smart enough to recognize that satellite delivered TV is, at this point, transitive technology for most people*, and that digital content delivery seems to be the direction that the industry is heading. He is smart enough to not fall into the "we are a satellite TV company" mindset, rather he wants to be a content provider in the digital future.

*I recognize that folks in certain rural areas do not have ready access to multiple broadband internet providers, and for them satellite delivered content will be likely continue into the foreseeable future.

With the NY Times report that the money issue has apparently been resolved, I am guessing that big news may come out of the eventual Dish/Disney deal. And, it may be a global, precedent setting deal detailing streaming rights and how the financial pot of money generated by streaming is divided between content providers and those transmitting the content to the customer.

The zone of silence around the deal indicates that the parties are spending time on something both detailed and big.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)