DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

I may be putting to much into this as well but with the digital rights appearing to be big piece of the negotiating pie, I think this could really set the tone for all providers going forward

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

With the NY Times report that the money issue has apparently been resolved, I am guessing that big news may come out of the eventual Dish/Disney deal. And, it may be a global, precedent setting deal detailing streaming rights and how the financial pot of money generated by streaming is divided between content providers and those transmitting the content to the customer.

The zone of silence around the deal indicates that the parties are spending time on something both detailed and big.

Digital rights and Hopper will probably drag on a long time. But, at least if they agree on the up front money I see the channels staying on for the rest of negotiations as long as Dish keeps paying what Disney wants.

I may be putting to much into this as well but with the digital rights appearing to be big piece of the negotiating pie, I think this could really set the tone for all providers going forward

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That's why "all eyes" are on this one. I hear Directv is waiting in the wings with their "autohop" version.

Many providers dropped it on November 1st. If you go to the G4 Website you will see its full of goodbyes. Of course DIRECTV pulled it a few yeas ago.

To me the channel died when they pulled the plug on Tech TV.

I wish someone would pick up and air Leo Laporte's Twit.TV network. That would be a channel I would watch a lot.

Roku.

Charlie is smart enough to recognize that satellite delivered TV is, at this point, transitive technology for most people*, and that digital content delivery seems to be the direction that the industry is heading. He is smart enough to not fall into the "we are a satellite TV company" mindset, rather he wants to be a content provider in the digital future.

*I recognize that folks in certain rural areas do not have ready access to multiple broadband internet providers, and for them satellite delivered content will be likely continue into the foreseeable future.

Of course he knows that digital content is where the money is, this is why he's pushing techs to connect every eligible receiver to broadband with available and when they don't have it but yet they give the customer a damn hopper it effects the tech's pay to the negative as if they could do anything about it.

I watch TWiT through my mediacenter. It wouldn't be too hard technically to add it to the Dish On Demand stuff

No you are miss quoting what I said, I was replying to Juan who said that Charlie had balls to pulls ESPN. I was replying back to him that Charlie didn't pull anything. (In regards to ESPN)

I know he has pulled other things... I was just talking about this dispute. :)

I meant he has the balls to do it..NOT that he actually did it..sorry I wasn't very clear

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

No I mean on Satellite.
I know I can watch on Roku, but last month I exceeded my ISP's Bandwidth cap (and got the snotty email from them)

I think TWIT is predicated on being online only, save for Leo's weekend radio show. The way they do shows it doesn't fit conveniently with a schedule. Technically of course they could be on DISH.
And that's one of the many reasons I have had doubts streaming is the answer to TV costs for people who watch more than a few shows every day.

The Disney chief also urged investors not to fret about the long time it’s taking for the entertainment giant to work out a new program carriage deal with Dish Network. The companies agreed to keep talking — without any programming black out — at the end of September when their previous agreement expired. “Progress is being made,” Iger says. Still, a deal “could take some time.” That’s because the negotiations are less about the price for carrying traditional TV channels than they are about the fees and conditions for Dish to stream Disney programming. “We want to make sure that we are open minded and modern in our thinking,” Iger says. But Disney also will “be steadfast in our strategy to protect the value of our intellectual property.” He says Disney wants to be paid extra for providing TV Everywhere rights — even though in about a year, when Nielsen fully measures TV viewing on mobile devices, “that could create an interesting growth spurt for us in revenue.” Disney has already seen “tremendous adoption and usage” of mobile program viewing at other pay TV distributors that have introduced its Watch apps.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/bob...es-patience-on-a-retrans-agreement-with-dish/

He says Disney wants to be paid extra for providing TV Everywhere rights — even though in about a year, when Nielsen fully measures TV viewing on mobile devices, “that could create an interesting growth spurt for us in revenue.”

Good luck with that Bob, and Joe and Charlie. I will trade my HWS back in for regular Hoppers and add a standalone slingbox in lieu of paying another fee for something I rarely use. I'll keep them if Dish gives us the option to enable the sling or disable it if we CHOOSE not to want it.

Good luck with that Bob, and Joe and Charlie. I will trade my HWS back in for regular Hoppers and add a standalone slingbox in lieu of paying another fee for something I rarely use. I'll keep them if Dish gives us the option to enable the sling or disable it if we CHOOSE not to want it.
Yeh, well, most people choose not to use the turn signals on their cars anymore...where are the credits for that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)