DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

I bet you didn't the day after Thanksgiving last Year when the Huskers came to town. I came over from my side of the river and that had to be the COLDEST game I have ever been at and the Wind.... Think It is still blowing.

Founders Breakfast Stout is on my top 10 list of beers I need to try. We start tailgating about 7am for Iowa games. Beer pong usually starts around 7:30-8am.

It has been stated in numerous different news websites that Charlie IS using the auto hop feature to force the other channels to keep prices low in contract negotiations. In fact I read it again on the site that keeps up with the stock prices . I get updates on anything DISH from them with comments just about daily. So this is and has been used to force the prices down in negotiations with the locals and I am betting that they may be using it on other channels either as a threat to turn it on or to keep their demands lower and they won't turn it on in return. Auto skip is definitely being used as a bargaining chip in regards to keeping prices down. That is why there are so many lawsuits from the networks to bar this feature. It is cutting into their greedy extortion price hikes as well as their ad revenues from commercials skipped.

Because as usual under current laws the content owners hold all the cards. Dish will eventually have to relent. Dish may be able to survive without Disney, but eventually Fox, NBC and CBS will come up for renewal. Each holding a large number of channels hostage. In a few years Dish will go under without channels, or submit to the demands. The content owners are under no obligation to license their channels to Dish, they want to because Dish will pay them big bucks. But, if they feel Dish is costing them money with ad skipping, they will not budge. They know very well if they give into Dish they will have every provider with ad skipping technology to deal with, all they have to do is say if you want to license our channels you have to agree not to have ad skipping technology.

It is way too simple of a demand from the channel owners not to demand. But, like I said above, if they can get more money from Dish to compensate for the perceived loss in ad dollars, they may come to a deal allowing ad skipping with extra money from Dish.

Despite the news articles which are just referring to what Charlie said about using it as a negotiating tool, the networks still hold all the cards. The lawsuits are over the current contracts, one of CBS's arguments is that Dish negotiated in bad faith knowing that they were going to be skipping ads and renewed the CBS contract months before the release of the Hopper. Dish has not won any suit. The only thing that has happened is that the networks have been unable to prove permanent harm and get an injunction before trial. There will be trials and probably take years.

I do think that the networks are being greedy and charging way too much for their content, making monopolies out of exclusive sports deals with events happening in sometimes public venues (in some cases supported by tax payer dollars). But, the way the copyright law is now, the copyright owner is under no obligation to share their content with anyone they do not want to share it with.

Is there any new news this its getting to be ridiculous...
1) If there was any new news, there would likely be a thread started by Scott saying so. Either the deal was struck or Dish lost ESPN and would be offering complimentary Chevy Volts to disgruntled subscribers. (except for people that got the Roku already for the AMC kerfuffle... that free roku ain't looking so hot now does it?! ;))

2) This isn't ridiculous. Trying to get fine Italian food at the Olive Garden is ridiculous. This is major distribution of content deal, that is probably worth over one billion dollars. This stuff takes time. ESPN is still on, so does it really matter, unless you are Jones'ing it for ABC Family or ESPN U in HD.

The fact that they are still talking to me is good news. If talks were not going good the channels would be off NOW.

My gut is saying we could see an announcement by tomorrow night. But my head is saying don't listen to my gut. Not sure who is correct here.

Erin Andrews is no longer a part of ESPN let alone College Game Day. The new girl is Samantha Steel (Ponder) - yea she married that idiot Ponder from FSU, lucky guy!

Now back to subject - COME ON ESPNU HD and WatchESPN!!

Erin Andrews is no longer a part of ESPN let alone College Game Day. The new girl is Samantha Steel (Ponder) - yea she married that idiot Ponder from FSU, lucky guy!

Now back to subject - COME ON ESPNU HD and WatchESPN!!
Erin Andrews is on FS1's FOX College Saturday, trying to be a direct competitor of ESPN's show....

I eagerly await the day I'm not listening to Scott's individual body parts for information.

Already looked into Direct TV, they're running a special right now that ends in 5 days. Hope I don't have to use it.

The fact that they are still talking to me is good news. If talks were not going good the channels would be off NOW.

My gut is saying we could see an announcement by tomorrow night. But my head is saying don't listen to my gut. Not sure who is correct here.

Always listen to the gut :)

If you have a feeling for something tomorrow I would think that might be a good time to have a good feeling about something, with college football games Dish can make a big splash with maybe some new (brought back HD) or ESPN take away with weekend football.

Hoping for the deal to be made, if something was to happen

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts