Dish Remote Access

vmike

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
KS
I am a new Dish customer as of yesterday. I have a vip722kdvr and a vip222k. I have a broadband connection to the 722dvr. It says it is on line and shows an IP address. I have downloaded free movies from dish online with it last night. When I go to the Dish web site and "Dish Remote Access", it says my receiver is "off line".

I called dish last night, the tech? said it was on their end and would be fixed shortly. This morning still shows off line, called again today and after resetting the receiver and my router and so on nothing. Changed cables from router to 722 and same thing. It says it's "online" but they don't. They said "call your ISP" . I have RR and good speeds and good connections, always...

Any one else have this problem? or ideas?

Been watching this sight for a while and finally decided to jump on the Dish wagon...
Thanks,
MV

any one use remote access?

Does any one use remote access?

I have made 5 calls to Dish with no answers other than its "my problem" with the network.

As I said in my post above I can download from dishonline to the dvr

Is there something I have to set on my network or router to open it up to see it on DISH REMOTE ACCESS??

I have RR isp, Netgear wpn824 router, and a 24 port switch. Tried it with and with out switch, router only. I tried to look at it at my work computer even.

It wont show it is online on the website.....

I have z 722 that is connected to the internet. The connection is flaky. Sometimes it works. Usually it doesn't,their tech support has a difficult time understanding that the feature exists, let alone actually supporting it. In my experience, Dish rolls out many software versions that are either not tested or not tested enough.

If your equipment downloads new software versions, beware! you may get new features, but something else will be broken.

I decided that life is too short to waste time with a feature that Dish seems unable to support.

The problem is before you can get hooked up on that site, ( sling) you have to put your receiver # in then it says my dvr is not online, the same thing the dish site says.

Plus where you put your receiver # in has a fixed R00 then the 10 digit number. My receiver is an R01**********.(vip722k)

I was told by dish not that many people use broadband, really?

Glad everybody else has there's working. It's like calling the doctor when you don't feel good and the doctor says well I feel great.....

I never had to input the receiver numbers; they appeared automatically.

My wag is that some setting on your router or cable modem is preventing your receiver from connecting. Just because it can download programs via Dish Online does not mean that it can perform other functions. Again I'm guessing! But your receiver has to "phone home" in order for this Remote Access thing to work. I imagine this happens over a non-standard port, but I haven't checked my router's logs to find out. Your test with a direct connection via RR cable modem was a good idea. But the connection that way was probably not long enough for Dish and Sling servers to make a note of your receiver's presence and propagate the receiver number to your account.

I would concentrate on that Netgear router, and turning off whatever nefarious filtering it's doing. I am virtually certain (haha!) your 24-port switch is not causing this problem.

That is strange. Assuming everything is working fine on your side (router/switch and the connection), I don't know what could be wrong. It sounds like you already did the network diagnostics on the 722 (Menu>>System Setup>>Diagnostics>>Connection), so if that test says your broadband is "OK" then Dish is the one who needs to help you. Maybe to isolate the problem, you could connect the receiver directly to your modem if possible; that would take out all of the middle men.

As for Dish not having "that many" broadband users, well that just sounds dumb. I am sure plenty of Dish users have broadband. Dish built an entire onDemand system (DishONLINE) around the fact that many of their customers must have broadband. If you haven't tried it, don't bother; it is a waste of time (try finding anything on there) and money (sure, there is free crap, but most everything that is worth your time costs money; that is, if you can find it).

I just talked with the tech that works from where I had it installed, he said my receiver is one the newest out, which has the R01#.

He said they ran out of R00#'s and that Dish will have to update their system for these numbers.?

Anybody have a vip722kdvr with a number R01xxxxxxxxxx? and can get the remote access to work?

My computer, DSL and Router boxes are downstairs and my Dish Receiver (722) is upstairs - My question is, is there a way to hook up Dish Remote access with the way I have it set up? Can I add an additional DSL or Router upstairs with already having them downstairs? Would that work?

As RickDee suggests, skip going through DISH's website and you'll probably be fine.

DISH's new login script is just too fancy for its own good.

Anybody have a vip722kdvr with a number R01xxxxxxxxxx? and can get the remote access to work?
Mine starts with R00.

My computer, DSL and Router boxes are downstairs and my Dish Receiver (722) is upstairs - My question is, is there a way to hook up Dish Remote access with the way I have it set up? Can I add an additional DSL or Router upstairs with already having them downstairs? Would that work?
You have multiple options; either try a wireless setup (using a wireless gaming adapter) or Homeplug (the receiver can handle this out of the box; you just need to get the data onto your power lines and the receiver should be able to pick it up).

Something is not right with Remote Access. From last night to now, when I go to login, I get a cleared Login in screen back.

I have been using Remote Access since the beta days.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks ago, and generally like it, but I did come across a problem that DISH has still not responded to my e-mail regarding, nor has anyone on this board addressed. The problem is when I want to record something that would otherwise be skipped if I were doing it directly on the screen, DISH Remote does not indicate there will be a problem, so I set it up online, figuring all is well, then, when I want to access the program, it is not there.

The specific example is that my son had been out-of-town for a while and had missed one episode of In Plain Sight. I have it set on "record new episodes" per my onscreen directory, and I wanted to record the later-in-the-week repeat of the show to burn a copy for him, since I had deleted the first-run episode after watching, so I used DISH Remote to set it up. Everything went fine online, but when I went to access it, the recording did not show, and the history log showed the dreaded "did not record, duplicate event" message.

So, proceed accordingly:(

This is the exact same problem I am having. I just got a new 722 box today and its ID starts with R01 and not R00. When I go to the sling page, dish.sling.com and try to add a new box it says enter the last 10 digits, starting with R00. Well mine (ours) start with R01. WTH, Dish?

622 works, new 722 doesn't

I've been on remote access with my 622 since beta and it works fine. I got a new 722k yesterday and it starts with R01 and it will not work. Looks like another problem dish can't fix.

Official Response: DISH Remote Access issue with ViP722k (R01) is software problem.

Equipment: ViP722k DVR-HD (R01)
Receiver CA ID: R01 XXXX XXXX-20
Smart Card CA ID: S19 XXXX XXXX-19
Software Version: L652
Router: Linksys WRT54G Wireless G (hard wired)
ISP: Comcast
Phone: None
Customer Type: Direct DISH Customer (Non-Bundled)
Issue: DISH Remote Access web page registers Vip722k DVR-HD (R01) as "Offline" while the on screen menu confirms unit is "Online".

I've been dealing with this issues since my initial install on 7/18/2008. After blasting off several angry emails this past Friday, I received multiple responses this morning acknowledging the fact that this is indeed a software issue at DISH that affects users with the ViP722k DVR (R01) and NOT an ISP issue. I’ll be waiting on them now to fix it and will post again when/if resolved. See below for copy of the email thread with DISH responses.
Dear Mr. Vxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for providing the information for our engineering department. They are currently working towards a resolution for this issue. Unfortunately, we do not have a status report for this situation at this time. Generally these issues are resolved via software information sent directly to the receiver. Please remember to turn off your receiver when you are not watching TV, so that it can receive the update when it becomes available.
We realize that in today’s competitive world you have a choice in services. We thank you for your continued support, and your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to XXXXXX or reply to this email.
DISH Network is committed to providing world class customer service to our customers. In an effort to continually improve our services, we ask that you take time to complete this short survey to let us know how we are doing. We appreciate your time in evaluating our performance.

Click on the link below to start the survey: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sincerely,
Lxxxx S. SM5
DISH Network Technical E-care

** Please include all previous correspondence when replying. **

-----original message-----

Dear Lxxxx,

Acct: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
You requested "Receiver CA ID R00" but my receiver is an "R01" model not "R00". There is growing speculation online that this is part of the problem. The information you requested is below. I've also attahced a screen shot of my System Information for verification.

Model ID: ViP722k DVR-HD
Software Version: L652
Receiver CA ID: R01 XXXX XXXX-20
Smart Card CA ID: S19 XXXX XXXX-19
When do you expect this issue will be resolved?

Regards,
Bxxx Vxxxxxxxx

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SPAM] RE: Technical Support, xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, August 02, 2009 10:49 pm
To: <xxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx>

Dear Mr. Vxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our engineering department is aware of this issue. It has been determined the issue is software related and we are actively working on a resolution. To further assist in a speedy resolution, please reply with the information requested below. This information will go directly to our engineering department. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your assistance.

How long have you had this issue?
Please gather the following information from your receiver:
1. Press the Menu button on your remote control
• Select System Setup
• Select Installation
• Select System information
2. Please collect the following information:
• Model ID
• Software Version
• Receiver CA ID R00
• Smart Card CA ID S00 or S19

We realize that in today’s competitive world you have a choice in services. We thank you for your continued support, and your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to xxxxxxxxxxxx or reply to this email.

DISH Network is committed to providing world class customer service to our customers. In an effort to continually improve our services, we ask that you take time to complete this short survey to let us know how we are doing. We appreciate your time in evaluating our performance.

Click on the link below to start the survey: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sincerely,

Lxxxx S. SM5
DISH Network Technical E-care

** Please include all previous correspondence when replying. **

-----original message-----

BxxxxVxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx : DISH Remote Access web page says my 722K DVR is "Offline" but the on screen menu says it is "Online". I am finding allot o chatter online that the 722k DVRs that begin with a serial number of "R01" (which mine is) has issues with the DISH Remote Access website. I've spent nearly an hour on the phone with a DISH rep already with no insight to the cause or a solution. I've been cut off by Jxxxxxx P during an online chat a few minutes ago claiming I was unresponsive which is not true. She didn't even give me enough time to type in my 16 digit account number. I am really getting aggravated with your service and support. I am not even close to being %100 satisfied. You advertise these great features that do not work! I will cancel my service for Direct TV and tell all my online friends and fans why, if someone does not rectify this ongoing complaint.

Sincerely,

Bxxxx Vxxxxxxxxxxxx
BTW: I do not have any online fans and few friends but I have heard a comedian use the approach on "glamazon.com" with great affect : )

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts