Dish Replacement Equipment

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Conway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I recently had a trouble call where I had one tv that channels would pixelate. On that outlet I had a Hopper 3 receiver that was purchased from Solid Signal last year. The tech checked everything good and said the trouble was in the receiver. Tech replaced it with a reman unit. The front of the unit had lots of scratches and it worked okay for a few days then gave hard drive error. Dish has sent another replacement receiver and this time the receiver has a good sized dent on the top of the unit. It seems to work okay but for how long????. I assume Dish are about fresh out of brand new units. I have the protection plan and the unit has been replaced as a purchased receiver.

Yeah, usually Dish's Reman units are cleaned up quite well. Sometimes you can notice very tiny imperfections, but all the ones they have ever sent me (and I mean from DISH--not a local retailer) have all "looked" like new.

In the time I have worked for my contractor company (which receives receivers directly from dish) I have not seen a single new receiver, only remans. I've only worked here for 2 months, but it seems dish does not care to send out new receivers anymore.

Reactions: charlesrshell
With the satellite business contracting, I doubt Dish has any "new" H3's and especially any other older model.

There is news (rumor) that Dish will "soon" come out with some new receivers, but unless they are whizzbang better than the H3, they may as well not.

There is news (rumor) that Dish will "soon" come out with some new receivers, but unless they are whizzbang better than the H3, they may as well not.
Sometimes change is incremental. The incremental change I'd most like to see is a quad-tuner (or just software to handle 2 duals) OTA dongle allowing PTAT on OTA channels. Imagine that.

With the satellite business contracting, I doubt Dish has any "new" H3's and especially any other older model.

There is no upgrade for the H3 in the works. The new boxes are Joeys

In the time I have worked for my contractor company (which receives receivers directly from dish) I have not seen a single new receiver, only remans. I've only worked here for 2 months, but it seems dish does not care to send out new receivers anymore.
Well, Remans can often be better than brand new. Countless CE devices with bad parts, even bad NEW HDD's, manufactured new that required them to be sent back for proper fixes. Off the top of my head:

Hitachi's DVR recorders with failing HDD's; TiVo's otherwise brilliant S3 648 models with bad capacitors that would bulge and fail; Onkyo's well-regarded AVR units original HDMI cards that failed and required FREE new cards/fix even years after warranty; Dish and other CE devices of many brands that learned the hard way in the early days of High Definition (like Dish 921 HD DVR days) that the standard practice of mounting HDMI ports at the time was VERY bad that lead to broken HDMI connections, so Dish had to "beef up" its manner of connecting HDMI ports to cards that was done BEFORE the industry set new standards of more robust HDMI port to card or port to cabinet connections; bad power supplies also a problem past and present; and COUNTLESS other examples out there of "brand new" consumer Electronics that are only better or just plain working properly only AFTER a Re-manufacture.

Unfortunately, it seems a NEW line of a product these days (like the APC UPS a few years ago) come out NEW as BAD out of the gate to only function properly AFTER a Reman. I often view a reman as likely being superior to the very same product brand new. In fact, many CE devices can be as good as NEW with the simple REMAN of replacing ONE or a few capacitors or other very cheap parts and fixes.

One of my Yamaha AX-R2010 will have to have a key, but CHEAP, resistor replaced after years of solid service, but after that cheap "Reman" fix, the unit will be like new with its very good sonic capabilities for music playback unimpaired, compared to replacing it with a new like model. Like the eggs, Rmans get a "bad rap." :). Even a NEW generation is finding the virtues of USED cars being advantageous. I can tell you that getting a new car off the lot can often lead to many days back at the car dealership for FREE/Warranty covered bug fixes for the first year. I know people who can buy a NEW car CASH off the lot, but have changed to buying only USED cars.

Last edited:
I have always preferred "refurbs" due to the units are individually attended to. The reason it was returned is addressed and other checks are made in a more attentive individual manner which is more attention new line built devices get. I feel they are better than an "off the line" new device. Plus retail wise usually cheaper with a nice added warranty and the seller is usually willing to work with you after their initial warranty expires if something comes up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)