Dish Scapes on 199 is interesting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'd need a zoom button to see all the details I can hear.
That is a good idea. It reminds me of many years ago, when Discovery HD Theatre had a program called Sunrise Earth. It was basically like a live-action version of a Dish Scape. Every once in awhile, they would zoom the camera, to focus in on specific details, showcasing various animals.

Reactions: maggiedeahne
I missed the moose entirely. But in the foreground there is a mamma bear and 2 cubs, and a bald eagle flying by. There are seagulls and geese in the distance, and a whale breaches.

And there is nighttime with aurora borealis, a significant rain storm, and truck traffic on the road in the village. I also saw a green ship steam in, dock, and steam back out again. And a seaplane took off and flew toward the "camera", and later on returned and landed again.

Did I miss anything other than the moose? (Thanks dweber for reminding me of the seaplane.)

Last edited:
The Alaska Dish Scape has a lot of action. Boat, Seaplane, Truck, Whale, Bear with cubs, Eagle, and moose. Rain scene, night scene complete with Northern Lights. Realistic audio. Great job Dish!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Is that a whale fin or shark fin just before the seaplane takes off? I know sharks aren't supposed to be up there but it looks like one.

Reactions: TheKrell
Reflections in the water are not synchronized with the back ground.

Nice glacier calving.

The moose sticks his head out from behind the tree then suddenly disappears right before your eyes.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Except the reflection of the moon is above the reflection of the aurora and the moon is below the aurora in the sky.
More like the aurora passes directly in front of the moon, while the reflection is nowhere near the moon's reflection. At least for the section of the scene that I just saw. I only watched for a couple of minutes.

The street view with buildings is a very close replica of Creek Street in Ketchikan Alaska. Most photos of Creek Street are taken from the very same angle, showing the street built on pilings.

I missed the moose entirely. But in the foreground there is a mamma bear and 2 cubs, and a bald eagle flying by. There are seagulls and geese in the distance, and a whale breaches.

And there is nighttime with aurora borealis, a significant rain storm, and truck traffic on the road in the village. I also saw a green ship steam in, dock, and steam back out again. And a seaplane took off and flew toward the "camera", and later on returned and landed again.

Did I miss anything other than the moose? (Thanks dweber for reminding me of the seaplane.)
The moose is on the right hand side of picture, there is also a wolf that occasionally walks by at same location. During the rain you can also see what I believe are geese swimming out beyond the tree line. When boats come in someone rings a bell twice to signal the fish truck to come get the load and you cann see the crane unloading the boat. During day when one of the boats (there are two different boats) leaves shortly thereafter you hear and can see ice breaking off into the water. I haven't found the owl nor the duck that you hear. I'm not mentioning the obvious such as bear, night lights, eagle, two different planes, etc.
Sorry moose and wolf is on left hand side.

I especially love the various sounds of this Alaska scape.

I'd need a zoom button to see all the details I can hear.

And what's that animal that crosses into the trees on the left? a moose? elk? caribou?
It is a moose and I think it is funny because I call it the "glitch moose". Because you watch it walk toward the water and then it goes behind the tree and then you basically see its antlers and nose and then poof.....it disappears. My husband thinks it is funny that I call it the "glitch moose".

Has anyone noticed the mountain above the waterfall looks like a face?? My husband and I just discovered this DishScapes back on July 4th. We enjoy looking to see what all is there. As far as this one, I keep hoping that someone will jump in one of the canoes and start to row away. :)

nww app today now on the hopper 3s and joeys called Dish Scapes where you can choose different scapes on your tv screen.just wanted to let you folks know about it.
I smell a spin-off thread coming: "Dish Scapes App is interesting."

Surprisingly, this app is also available on the Hopper Duo! :eek: So, this is what they removed the More Video Services app to make room for. However, even after rebooting my Hopper Duo, when I go to the Gallery app, all I get is a screen with "No Titles Found." :(
0909201412-00.jpg

I posted in the other thread about the Gallery app, but here it is again for those who are following this thread:
Update: Dish just added a channel 198 for the Gallery app in the guide. The guide info on the right side of the screen says:
"New! Enjoy the Free Preview all September. Gallery by Dish Scapes has a variety of nature scenes, fine art & original DISH scapes. Regularly $5/month."

So, this may explain why the slate channel promoting the Watch events was removed from channel 198 SD and HD, so that the channel for this app would appear next to Dish Scapes channel 199 in the guide.

Interesting...
Dish just removed the SD version of the channel promoting their monthly "watch" events:
Uplinks Removed
198 WATCH removed from 110° TP 15 (SD Instant Order)
198 WATCH removed from 77° TP 26 (SD MPEG4 Instant Order)
And now the HD feed of channel 198 is gone. ...

New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels NOT Available
198 GLLRY added to 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP *TEST* Hidden) xED
198 GLLRY added to 72.7° TP 21 (VOD XiP *TEST* Hidden) xED

Even that does not make much sense, though. Channel 199 is a linear channel, and Dish does not seem to have any problem with reusing linear channel numbers for apps so that they appear side-by-side in the guide. So, Dish could have just as easily put the new app on channel 199, instead of using channel 198. Perhaps the different channel number is simply just to help avoid confusion between the always free linear monthly Dish Scapes, and the normally $5 per month subscription app service that just happens to be in free preview this month.

I love the Alaskascape!

Things I have located that I have not seen talked about:

1. The owl and her chicklet.
Sits on the far left big dark green alpine tree.
Count upwards from the bottom branch, to the 4th large branch.
It's a little reddish/brown/golden smudge, sittng on the branch in profile, looking at the shops. Her color is like the golden tree behind the green tree.
Best to locate during the day.
Once you see it, you can't believe you didn't see it.
A tiny beige chicklet head pops out sometimes, to the right of the mama owl.

2. Smoke from chimney in some of the houses on the hill.

3. The red fox, it has a nice lush tail.
Could be a different animal like a wolf, in the same area of the moose.
We don't see her as often as the moose.
This is different from the moose with a rack that disappears in the tree.

4. There are several small black barges that come in from the sea on the left, that don't come into the dock.
They don't pass the trees to be seen again.
When it's raining, I count 6 barges/boats come in to the outer bay.
They also appear in the day time.
These barges are different from the two colors of fishing boats that come to offload their fish at the dock.

5. A lone seagull flies over the shops and homes on the hill.
6. The Orca whale.
7. Mama bear and two cubs.
8. Bald eagle flies around whole scape and back to her nest in tree.
9. Seaplane.
10. Fish truck to pick up catch of the day.
11. Glacier breaking off from mountain into the bay.

I CANNOT FIND THE DUCK. Help me find it!!!!
I'm assuming the geese are the ones flying, not the ducks.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell