DISH Secures Long Term Cricket Rights

The answer to that - move to where it is free. Just like those who complain they pay $6 for locals. Move to where you can get them for free. Your reasoning to me makes no sense. You are comparing a different country, with different values to the US. Wonder if you can get the RED SOX or Rays in the basic package in those countries? Wonder if you can get Sunday NFL for free on the local Channels?

Instead of advicing him to move country to watch his fav sport...why dont u move to a sat/cable operator who offer u RedSon or Rays or MLB channel or whatever is ur fav sport.

All those people complaining....1st should know that these channels are in 118 sat...which is only used for Intl. programming & dont occupy any spot from the RSN.

& as said...this is another of the package. eg. HBO, NBA LP etc etc. Those who want it...will pay for it. $20 per month for all the cricket in the world. I am in. finally a complete cricket setup from 1 company (cab/sat) for the 1st time I believe.

Last edited:
Instead of advicing him to move country to watch his fav sport...why dont u move to a sat/cable operator who offer u RedSon or Rays or MLB channel or whatever is ur fav sport.

All those people complaining....1st should know that these channels are in 118 sat...which is only used for Intl. programming & dont occupy any spot from the RSN.

& as said...this is another of the package. eg. HBO, NBA LP etc etc. Those who want it...will pay for it. $20 per month for all the cricket in the world. I am in. finally a complete cricket setup from 1 company (cab/sat) for the 1st time I believe.
the only reason most people are complaining is because they are jealous that u can watch your sport while the majority can't see their favorite baseball team in HD on a regular basis..don't take it so personally

the only reason most people are complaining is because they are jealous that u can watch your sport while the majority can't see their favorite baseball team in HD on a regular basis..don't take it so personally

Nothing taken personally...but I am just trying to explain to those people who are complaining....that
1st...cricket will not occupy RSN spots....
2nd...atleast as u said...they cant see in HD..but atleast they have SD..so watch it there.
3rd...Cricket package is not free. People who will sub to it...will pay for it. & its in SD only.

You totally are misunderstanding my post. I am defending that Dish is getting Cricket. The poster is complaining that Dish is carrying Cricket and charging for it. I am saying if he does not want to pay for it (he isn't even interested in it anyway) he can move to where it is free. Otherwise, for those who can't do that, it is worth the money.
It just another poster who has no concept of business, and making money on Cricket will help everyone in the long run.

would rather see rsns in 24/7 hd like direct has and mlb network and other national hd than cricket :)

HTML:
DodgerKing means that if Dish were offered as a company in Europe and Asia where Cricket is popular it would make more sense. Offering it to US customers that subscribe to international packages (what we call international customers) isn't as profitable.

Well at least that's what I think he meant. I would post something about it but every weekend for the past month I've seen a group of kids (15 - 20) playing cricket on the lawn at a park not far from my house. It took me about ten minutes to figure out what they were even playing so I'm sure there is a market for this... just not sure it's enough to issue a press release for.

Let me give you little inside to this thing. I have been with DISH since 1997 and DISH offers the most number of International chanels for years now. There is big demand for South Asian (Indian Chanels) among Indian community in USA. Dish tapped into that demand by offering a bout 30 Indian channels. Direct TV and cable is no where close to offer these many channels. Dish is charging about 50 dollars for those channels. Cricket is also popular among Indians, British, Sri Lankans, Australians, Pakistanis, New Zewlanders, Caribeans and South Africans living in US. Last few years, Cricketing events were mostly offered on PPV or these people were watching it on net. Now finally Dish tapped into this demand by offering 3 channels that will cover 90% Cricket matches across the world and thse folks will pay happily 20 dollars for these 3 channels(Neo Cricket, Ten Cricket and Willow Cricket) As other poster said, Its on 118 as part of International programming. This has nothing to do with offering MLB channel. BTW, it is correct that baseball came out of Cricket in 19th century in USA and YES British brought this game to USA. Dish make lot more money from international packages as compared to TOP 120 to TOP 200 packages. I am a NBA, NFL and Cricket fan and am happy with DISH for long time now

would rather see rsns in 24/7 hd like direct has and mlb network and other national hd than cricket :)

Not relevant. It isn't one or the other. Dish has no room for RSN's in full time HD at least at this moment. This is going on a different satellite as the previous poster mentioned. To put it differently, if Dish did not get Cricket, you STILL would not have full time RSN's. A million posts won't change that. The other reason is, I now believe there are not enough subs who want it, over those that want the national HD. For most, in my opinion, more games in HD, is not better than less national HD channels. That means never seeing, say AMC in HD, to seeing a few more games in HD, part of the year. I think Dish has figured this out, and when they can, will make games always in HD. Till then, they feel they do not need to.

Last edited:
HTML:
DodgerKing means that if Dish were offered as a company in Europe and Asia where Cricket is popular it would make more sense. Offering it to US customers that subscribe to international packages (what we call international customers) isn't as profitable.

Well at least that's what I think he meant. I would post something about it but every weekend for the past month I've seen a group of kids (15 - 20) playing cricket on the lawn at a park not far from my house. It took me about ten minutes to figure out what they were even playing so I'm sure there is a market for this... just not sure it's enough to issue a press release for.

Let me give you little inside to this thing. I have been with DISH since 1997 and DISH offers the most number of International chanels for years now. There is big demand for South Asian (Indian Chanels) among Indian community in USA. Dish tapped into that demand by offering a bout 30 Indian channels. Direct TV and cable is no where close to offer these many channels. Dish is charging about 50 dollars for those channels. Cricket is also popular among Indians, British, Sri Lankans, Australians, Pakistanis, New Zewlanders, Caribeans and South Africans living in US. Last few years, Cricketing events were mostly offered on PPV or these people were watching it on net. Now finally Dish tapped into this demand by offering 3 channels that will cover 90% Cricket matches across the world and thse folks will pay happily 20 dollars for these 3 channels(Neo Cricket, Ten Cricket and Willow Cricket) As other poster said, Its on 118 as part of International programming. This has nothing to do with offering MLB channel. BTW, it is correct that baseball came out of Cricket in 19th century in USA and YES British brought this game to USA. Dish make lot more money from international packages as compared to TOP 120 to TOP 200 packages. I am a NBA, NFL and Cricket fan and am happy with DISH for long time now

Someone who truly gets it. :welcome

Not relevant. It isn't one or the other. Dish has no room for RSN's in full time HD at least at this moment. This is going on a different satellite as the previous poster mentioned. To put it differently, if Dish did not get Cricket, you STILL would not have full time RSN's. A million posts won't change that. The other reason is, I now believe there are not enough subs who want it, over those that want the national HD. For most, in my opinion, more games in HD, is not better than less national HD channels. That means never seeing, say AMC in HD, to seeing a few more games in HD, part of the year. I think Dish has figured this out, and when they can, will make games always in HD. Till then, they feel they do not need to.
While I agree with this post, the part I bolded above is not entirely accurate. There is available space on the EA birds, not WA....

You totally are misunderstanding my post. I am defending that Dish is getting Cricket. The poster is complaining that Dish is carrying Cricket and charging for it. I am saying if he does not want to pay for it (he isn't even interested in it anyway) he can move to where it is free. Otherwise, for those who can't do that, it is worth the money.
It just another poster who has no concept of business, and making money on Cricket will help everyone in the long run.

Sorry to misunderstood ur post then.

As said..its on 118...only those people have that dish on their roof who have international programming anyway.

All in all...very smart move by Dish. It looks like the Cricket World Cup PPV that dish carried recently was a BIG RESOUNDING SUCCESS for Dish and a lot of money/profit made(probably enough to bid & buy Blockbuster ;)

While I agree with this post, the part I bolded above is not entirely accurate. There is available space on the EA birds, not WA....

That is probably accurate. And it almost appears with recent moves Dish might be going to have more HD for RSN's on the EA. (Moving quite alot of HD to 72)

Sorry to misunderstood ur post then.

It looks like the Cricket World Cup PPV that dish carried recently was a BIG RESOUNDING SUCCESS for Dish and a lot of money/profit made(probably enough to bid & buy Blockbuster ;)

:D:D

This is excellent news. A lot of cricket fans will sub to this.
Dish Network obviously discovered a long time ago that international programming is a niche market. Whoever does it well will win.
They are definitely number one when it comes to international programming.
Saying that six people will be happening is a stupid pathetic comment. I am not sure what was implied by the comment.
Has it ever occurred to you that Dish probably makes a lot of money on cricket. I seriously doubt the profit margin that Dish gets from cricket could be equaled with the MLB.

"Keep in mind, while you and I may not be the target of this, many of their international subscribers are." You conveniently skipped that part of my post apparently.

That is why you don't run a highly profitable business, and Charlie does. You and I have no idea how much profit is involved with International programming. When Dish went after the international program audience, it was hailed by analysts as an untapped segment of the viewing audience. YOU may not like or even know what Cricket is, I can guarantee many or most international subscribers do. I may not know just how many want it, but I can guarantee you have no idea at all. Bottom line, when they add English programming it is as much to satisfy subs as it is to attract new ones. You don't want to satisfy current International Subs. Dish does. And yes, it may get them some subscribers.

I understand that this doesn't affect HD RSNs and them carrying Cricket in HD doesn't really bother me as long as that isn't the reason they aren't carrying American sports in HD. I do think they should be carrying everyone's RSNs at least in SD. If they were so expensive the rest of the providers wouldn't be carrying them either. It wouldn't just be Dish. If they can make money off cricket and it isn't taking away from RSNs thats fine.

I don't get why you think we should just be ok with them not providing channels everyone else provides so they can make a higher profit margin though. We aren't stockholders, we're customers. Dish making a slightly higher percentage profit margin doesn't do a thing for me.

I don't follow... We are talking about subs in the US, who get international programming, probably because it is their heritage. Dish is offered throughout the US. :)
Exactly. Someone mentioned the fact that Cricket is the 2nd most popular sport in the world. I mentioned that it does not matter what is popular in the world since Dish is a US based company and people in the US do not watch Cricket, international or not

Exactly

I don't get why you think we should just be ok with them not providing channels everyone else provides so they can make a higher profit margin though. We aren't stockholders, we're customers. Dish making a slightly higher percentage profit margin doesn't do a thing for me.

I do see that point. I wish there were a way to know exactly the cost to Dish for each NY RSN. I will note, Direct has yet to come to an agreement with SNY, and it's been awhile. Makes me think the asking price must be quite high. And you are absolutely correct, sometimes you have lower the profit margin to conduct business and keep customers.
Though I understand why Dish does not offer full time HD RSN's at the moment, I think they have to address it as soon as possible. We all may have gone a little off track, but my only real point is that one, Cricket is important to alot of people that probably subscribe to Dish international channels, and two, getting Cricket has no impact one way or the other on getting full time HD RSN's, or getting the NY RSN's.

Exactly. Someone mentioned the fact that Cricket is the 2nd most popular sport in the world. I mentioned that it does not matter what is popular in the world since Dish is a US based company and people in the US do not watch Cricket, international or not

You have to get ur facts straight. 3 Billion people watched recently concluded Cricket Wrold Cup globally. About 200,000 people watched the event via free online streaming sites in US only. This figure doesn't include subscribed viewers from Dish Network and Direct TV. Lots of theaters broadcast every single game live on their screens across USA. One single semi final game draw 100 million viewers globaly.Those are paid viewers. All the games started 2:00 AM PST and still draw all those numbers in USA. I am not here advertising Cricket . I am just relaying the facts. I am a big proponent of offering more HD channels on Dish including 24 hour RSN and national HD channels. But this decision on DISH is good business decision as among US Indians, Sri Lankans, British, Pakistanis, South Africians, Australians and Carribeans folks, this is a popular sport and there is big demand. It is not as big as NBA, NFL or MLB but there is demand for Cricket.
I paid 150 for the entire world cup PPV from dish and got every penny's worth.

Even ESPN gets this. Here is copy of article that was posted by another poster.

"Cricket World Cup 2015 on ESPN3.Com
Your browser does not support iframes.

ESPN Strikes Deals for Unprecedented Multiplatform Cricket Coverage in the U.S. through 2015, Including the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup

Check this out:

ESPN Strikes Deals for Unprecedented Multiplatform Cricket Coverage in the U.S. through 2015, Including the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup

Two four-year agreements to bring Champions League Twenty20 and major ICC events exclusively across TV, online and mobile

Furthering its commitment to cricket, ESPN today announced it has reached two multiyear rights agreements for exclusive live coverage of matches from Champions League Twenty20 and International Cricket Council (ICC) events, including the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup, one of the most watched sporting events globally. The deals, signed with global rights holder ESPN Star Sports, will dedicate more than 1,000 additional hours of exclusive live cricket in the U.S. to ESPN3.com’s programming lineup.

“It’s a big day for cricket fans in the U.S., and we’re thrilled to be the network offering this passionate and underserved audience more cricket coverage than ever before,” said Damon Phillips, Vice President, ESPN3.com. “We're removing the traditional pay per view barrier and making these world class events available to millions of fans.”

Manu Sawhney, Managing Director, ESPN STAR Sports, said, “We are very pleased to enter in this agreement with ESPN. It continues to be our endeavor to further grow the game of cricket across the globe and we believe that this collaboration will give a big thrust to the development of the game in the U.S. Fans in the U.S. can look forward to an exciting calendar of top quality cricket including the iconic ICC cricket events and CLT20, the world championship of top T20 teams.”

"The ICC is delighted that ESPN has acquired the rights to ICC events for the period 2012 to 2015. The U.S. is a region of real growth and potential for cricket and for us to have a world-class broadcaster like ESPN as a collaborator in the U.S. is a great boost for our sport. This deal signals a real sea change in the mainstream exposure of cricket to American viewers. Hopefully, this will be a catalyst for huge growth for cricket in this critical market."

The deals include exclusive rights across television, online and mobile platforms for Championship League Twenty20 matches from 2012-2015 as well as the following ICC events:

Jun-Jul 2012: ICC U19 Cricket World Cup (Australia)
Sep-Oct 2012: ICC World Twenty20 (Sri Lanka)
Mar 2013: ICC Women's Cricket World Cup (India)
Jun 2013: ICC Champion's Trophy (England)
May 2013: ICC World Cup Qualifier (Scotland)
Feb 2014: ICC World Twenty20 (South Asia)
Feb-Mar 2014: ICC U19 Cricket world Cup (UAE)
TBD 2014: ICC World Cricket League - Division 1 (Location TBD)
Feb- Mar 2015: ICC Cricket World Cup (Australia/New Zealand)

Champions League Twenty20 features the world’s top national teams, including clubs from the Indian Premier League and others from Australia, England, South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and West Indies. ESPN International signed a similar deal for rights in the Caribbean, where all 23 cricket matches were presented live in September.

Events from the ICC represent some of the most prestigious cricket matches in the world, sanctioned by the international governing body of cricket. The deal marks the first time the Cricket World Cup will be made available at no additional cost to fans who receive their high-speed Internet connection or cable TV video subscription from an affiliated service provider.

In 2010 alone, ESPN3.com carried a total of 368 hours of cricket that included Bangladesh home matches against top-tier national teams such as India, England and others, USA Cricket between New Zealand vs. Sri Lanka from Lauderhill, FL, the 2010 Asia Cup and the Caribbean Regional Twenty20 Tournament. With today’s announcement, ESPN3.com is currently slated to carry close to 1,500 total hours of exclusive live cricket programming over the next four years in the U.S.

About ESPN3.com

ESPN3.com is ESPN's live sports broadband network, a 24/7 online destination that delivers thousands of live, global sports events annually. It is currently available in more than 65 million homes at no additional cost to fans who receive their high-speed Internet connection or cable TV video subscription from an affiliated service provider. It is also available at no cost to approximately 21 million U.S. college students and U.S.-based military personnel via computers connected to on-campus educational networks and on-base military networks.
"