DISH Secures Long Term Cricket Rights

You can't have the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Sabres, Knicks or Nets.......but you can have Cricket......what a friggin joke Dish has become.

Are u expecting those for free?...because one can have cricket...only after paying $20 per month. Maybe you all should request & promise Dish $20 per month...& maybe Dish can get u what u want.

You can't have the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Sabres, Knicks or Nets.......but you can have Cricket......what a friggin joke Dish has become.

I tell you what you can do. Pay $20 a month like those who will get Cricket, and maybe you can have those. You are comparing a premium package to mandatory package channel additions.

While it's great seeing more cricket in the US, I wish Dish would posit it as a non-PPV option, like how ESPN will be doing with the forthcoming World Cups and other ICC events. In order for any burgeoning sport to grow, you have to get it on a non-exclusionary platform and not on PPVs.
I would agree with you about international subs if Dish was offered in the Eastern Hemisphere. It is the east where people watch Cricket

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
What a bigoted and poorly-educated form of thinking. Cricket is a popular sport not only in England, especially during the Ashes when the entire country is riveted onto TV screens, but also in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and the Carribean. It's also a fast-growing sport in other parts of the world, with interest spiking in countries like Holland and Ireland lately. And it's been enjoying a recent resurgence in yes, the United States, where it actually has a very long and celebrated history.

And while people like you would probably have never learnt this or known this, cricket was more popular than baseball in the United States during its early years, with George Washington, John Adams, Theodore Roosevelt and Ben Franklin being keen followers. It is a far more American sport than you would know. Perhaps you should read these: What goes around, comes a-rounders | Sport | guardian.co.uk & When cricket stoked the American dream - On Line Opinion - 26/4/2007 (I do hope you can read, though.) But of course, what am I doing expecting people like you would know about these things. Now, now, I'll let you get back to eating your burgers and riding your fatmobile.

But I digress, it's actually been rather funny reading most of the responses here by butthurt baseball fans, lol. Aww, Dish decides to pick up more cricket and dares to post up a press release (not even commercials or large banners, mind, but a press release, good lawd) to gloat over defeated and shamed baseball fans, so sad, so srs. What on heavens are we to do!?

Last edited:
Even after paying 20$ per pack, there are still so many games that are not being broadcasted on this channel..e.g., Dish is still is trying to make money out of the IPL using PPV... ridiculous indeed.!

:confused:
I would agree with you about international subs if Dish was offered in the Eastern Hemisphere. It is the east where people watch Cricket

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
What a bigoted and poorly-educated form of thinking. Cricket is a popular sport not only in England, especially during the Ashes when the entire country is riveted onto TV screens, but also in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and the Carribean. It's also a fast-growing sport in other parts of the world, with interest spiking in countries like Holland and Ireland lately. And it's been enjoying a recent resurgence in yes, the United States, where it actually has a very long and celebrated history.
:rolleyes:Talk about poorly educated.

Let's see here, you tried to prove my statement wrong about it being the eastern hemisphere where people watch cricket by listing 6 of 7 regions/countries in the eastern hemisphere outside the US ;) Classic!

Oh yeah, since when is mentioning a FACT of where a sport is most popular geographically, encompassing half of the geographic region of the earth (Do you know what a hemisphere is?) and comprising several cultures, nations, and races, even remotely consider bigoted (especially when you backed up what I stated by listing countries in the...Wait for it...EAST)?

Last edited:
:confused::rolleyes:Talk about poorly educated.

Well I don't know about the gentleman you quoted, but I will play. :)

What is your background? Which school did you get your Marketing and or Strategy MBA from? Do you work in any one of the Big-4 consulting firms?

What are you estimates for these and we can try to build a pro-forma together.

1) Fixed Cost
2) Variable Cost
3) Potential Cannibalization % (by offering cricket, what % of viewers will stop watching everything else)
4) What type of market is Cricket-watchers (i.e introductory, growing, mature market etc)...
5) What pricing strategy is Dish using? (Penetration, skimming etc?)
6) What are their 3 main forecast methods to estimate for existing dish subs to subscribe to this package? (1-year, 2-year, 5-year estimates)
7) Total additional revenue from #6.
8) Therefore the contribution margin %
9) Break even estimates in terms of number of subs. For added fun lets do sensitivity analysis for a 5%, 10% price increase.
10) Total profit (edit. Please include the biggest potential revenue source -advertizing revenue- somewhere to calculate this)
11) Break-even price in terms of $.
12) What is their target 1-year, 2-year, 5-year ROI? What probability do you estimate for them reaching it ?

I have more but that is a good place to start in my opinion.

We can also do SWOT analysis(strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats etc) of this move by Dish. It can help with at least some of the analytical questions.

Do you think this is a big enough incentive that Dish is offering to attract the South Asian DirecTV subs to switch over? What percentage? Keep in mind that they have always had the better international offerings (especially EASTERN HEMISPHERE programming) but DirecTV still has a share of this market.

Last question(s): Do you think the price is correct at $20? Do you think they are short changing themselves? or is it too high to be attractive for current customers and new customers to subscribe to this.

Sorry so many questions, but I was hoping to steer the conversation away to something more constructive than pure speculation(if you want to call it that).

Last edited:
Even after paying 20$ per pack, there are still so many games that are not being broadcasted on this channel..e.g., Dish is still is trying to make money out of the IPL using PPV... ridiculous indeed.!

This is not Dish fault. This is how the IPL TV rights were distributed. On internet...streaming rights with indiatimes..& you can watch is free & in high quality at ipl.indiatime.com.

For TV....some games rights were brought by NEO. They didnt got for the full tournament this year. Again Dish has nothing to do with this. It was Neo & Indiatimes & IPL that made this. Atleast u have the option to get the rest of the games on PPV if u wish. Hoping for next year....IPL rights are distributed for full tournament for TV...eg either all games are on Neo...or maybe split between Neo and Ten/Williow. No more PPV

ESPN are also not giving anything free. Its on ESPN3...which are only available for those subs whose internet providers have a deal with ESPN. So no..its not free. I prefer Dish way....1st)..only those like me pay for what I want..& others dont have to pay for it. 2nd) subs can get it...without depending if the internet providers have a deal or not. I hope though..ESPN can put those games on TV channels. It will get much higher viewers then fishing shows

I love these strawman arguments people keep throwing at me. I make a statement of fact describing the global region where Cricket is popular and I get accused of being bigoted and in that accusation the poster tries to counter my statement by listing countries in the very region I stated. Now someone else tries to counter my defense by challenging my educational background and switching the argument to marketing.

I will make it simple. Is Cricket more popular in the Eastern Hemisphere than in the West? I am not talking about marketing or weather Dish will make a profit or not.

As for myself, since you asked. Read through some of my post and you will know what I do for a living and what degrees I hold. I am not going to play this game and change this thread into topic about myself as both are irrelevant. Discuss the topic, challenge my points, but don't make it personal (I'll give you a hint: I have a few degrees, my career is in education, and statistics and logic is a the foundation of it all)

DodgerKing...agreed with ur remark...yes Cricket is very popular in Eastern hemisphere. but...why we can have that here in this hemisphere.

& to all those who keep attacking Dish & cricket....well...its simple. dish is here in this business to make money. Cricket will make dish money...or atleast they will give it time to see if it does. Dish dropped MLB EI..because it didnt made them money as they required to run it successfully...meaning...not enough Subs cared for EI when Dish had it.

Plus again...Dish is having Cricket in 118 sat..which is for Intl programs only...& doesnt use any 119/110 HD or RSN spots

Now someone else tries to counter my defense by challenging my educational background and switching the argument to marketing.
Nothing stopped you from attacking someone else's education?

I will make it simple. Is Cricket more popular in the Eastern Hemisphere than in the West? I am not talking about marketing or weather Dish will make a profit or not.
. Of course that is how Dish came up with this price point and strategy. It was that simple I guess :rolleyes:

As for myself, since you asked. Read through some of my post and you will know what I do for a living and what degrees I hold. I am not going to play this game and change this thread into topic about myself as both are irrelevant. Discuss the topic, challenge my points, but don't make it personal (I'll give you a hint: I have a few degrees, my career is in education, and statistics and logic is a the foundation of it all)
I did challenge your points. I read through your posts in this thread where you have been alluding to how this is a very bad move on dish's part. I knew very well you will not be able answer any of my questions. But I did try to show you what goes into this kind of pricing and strategy decision. Those who do this have a strong enough stats ability to go with other important abilities and expertise. I just showed you some of the important steps they take and directly challenged your frivolous assertions.

You may hold a few degrees but those fields are not applicable towards what went into this, not in their pure form anyways. It doesn't qualify you as an expert on pricing and strategy of dish network purely hanging on one single criteria which hemisphere/regions/countries cricket is more popular in.

In case you were wondering, with your statistics and logic background, you are not going to cure cancer or come up with an algorithm to bring world peace either.

DodgerKing...agreed with ur remark...yes Cricket is very popular in Eastern hemisphere. but...why we can have that here in this hemisphere.

& to all those who keep attacking Dish & cricket....well...its simple. dish is here in this business to make money. Cricket will make dish money...or atleast they will give it time to see if it does. Dish dropped MLB EI..because it didnt made them money as they required to run it successfully...meaning...not enough Subs cared for EI when Dish had it.

Plus again...Dish is having Cricket in 118 sat..which is for Intl programs only...& doesnt use any 119/110 HD or RSN spots
Never said anything about not being able to have it.

My point is Dish as a whole. They lose subs, there are several threads on several sites about how Dish seems to ignore popular items that people want, and when they sign a contract to show a sport that is not very popular here in the US while ignoring one of our most popular. My issue is not with Cricket it is with Dish ignoring what many subs really want.

If you read my previous posts I stated I hope it is successful.

What is the point of profiting off of a low rating sports package when they keep losing subs each quarter? Eventually they have to do things to keep their base as well

Last edited:
Nothing stopped you from attacking someone else's education?
I did??? :confused:
. Of course that is how Dish came up with this price point and strategy. It was that simple I guess :rolleyes:
Of course. Never stated otherwise.
I did challenge your points. I read through your posts in this thread where you have been alluding to how this is a very bad move on dish's part. I knew very well you will not be able answer any of my questions. But I did try to show you what goes into this kind of pricing and strategy decision. Those who do this have a strong enough stats ability to go with other important abilities and expertise. I just showed you some of the important steps they take and directly challenged your frivolous assertions.
You asked questions, most of which were strawman challenges to points I did not make. If you want to challenge points never made, go right ahead.
You may hold a few degrees but those fields are not applicable towards what went into this, not in their pure form anyways. It doesn't qualify you as an expert on pricing and strategy of dish network purely hanging on one single criteria which hemisphere/regions/countries cricket is more popular in.
So?
And again, please stop with informal fallacious arguments misrepresenting what I have stated. I have never claimed to be an expert. I simply expressed an opinion. IMO, this is not a good move on Dish's part. Why?

1. Any profits made will be minimal, especially at the cost of what many subs really want (look at the replies on this thread). Whether these subs are wrong or right in their view of this deal the truth is THEY are upset that they are being ignored. Any company, wrong or right, needs to be aware of these variables. When customers are upset they leave. Which leads to point 2
  2. Dish is losing subs and they do not seem to address the reasons why they are. Instead they sign deals like this (which maybe a good thing) while ignoring the variables causing subs to leave (which is not a good thing)
In case you were wondering, with your statistics and logic background, you are not going to cure cancer or come up with an algorithm to bring world peace either.
:confused:

WTF????

The horses in the stables are starving with all of the straw you are taking from them

The problem with your argument is believing it is one or the other. They are exclusive of each other. Cricket was not added at the expense of getting another sport. And another sport was not added because Cricket was. Another sport was not added because of contract considerations. And from reading other threads, apparently when Dish did have MLB EI, they lost money on it. As for getting the MLB channel, we just do not know what was on the table, and why Dish did not get it, but the only thing that matters for this thread, is that getting Cricket had nothing at all to do with getting or not getting it.
For all we know, Dish tried to get this Cricket package last year and did not because of what was being asked, and this year they could agree......

:rolleyes:So what did you response to giravanz mean?

Of course. Never stated otherwise.
Actually they toss a coin.

Heads - Lets charge $20 in domestic market (no need to spend on education, consulting strategy decisions and other non-nonsensical analysis)

Tails - Lets raid Eastern Hemisphere and compete with already existing and mature Direct-To-Home market (4 players + cable in the biggest market India alone) and show them how signals are supposed to be beamed. They are of course stupid with their cheap pricing so we can show how to bill in dollars.

It is actually that simple. No expertise needed. In fact even a dog can run the company.

You asked questions, most of which were strawman challenges to points I did not make. If you want to challenge points never made, go right ahead.
I did and I got the results I wanted. So I will spare you the horror going forward.

And again, please stop with informal fallacious arguments misrepresenting what I have stated. I have never claimed to be an expert. I simply expressed an opinion. IMO, this is not a good move on Dish's part. Why?
Any profits made will be minimal, especially at the cost of what many subs really want (look at the replies on this thread).
At the cost of?? WHAT THE F*** Can you point to the article that shows this substitutes any other sports packages that Dish Network would have or will try to procure in future? Is Dish bandwidth fully utilized after this deal? No more transponders left to add another potential package?
This is like me asking you to leave dish(if you are even a subscriber), so that you don't use up the oxygen and a better customer can be added. :rolleyes:

Dish is losing subs and they do not seem to address the reasons why they are.
Your source for this? Are the Q1 counts out? On the contrary Dish did fine in 2010. Source They are also acquiring assets of Blockbuster.

Business and Financial Metrics

In 2010, Dish's revenue increased 8.4% from $11.66 billion to $12.64 billion. Net income increased to $985 million from $636 million and finished the year with 14.133 million subscribers, a net gain of 33,000.
Enough of your strawman and other nonsense. You have been correctly identified before by others in this thread. Stop pretending like you know which direction Dish should be going in terms of local/global strategy. I'd rather hear spite in the open than disguised.

I am going to ignore all of your points that are directed at me personally because we were already asked to do so by a Mod and I already stated that I do not want to turn this into a thread about me. I will address just the first one however for clarity only
:rolleyes:So what did you response to giravanz mean?
A defense of his attack on me through irony. If he wants to attack someone make sure his attack is at least somewhat accurate.

This will be the last response about myself. Ice has already asked us to stop, so lets do so
At the cost of?? WHAT THE F*** Can you point to the article that shows this substitutes any other sports packages that Dish Network would have or will try to procure in future? Is Dish bandwidth fully utilized after this deal? No more transponders left to add another potential package?
Let me clarify as you do not seem to understand what I meant or I was not very clear.

I did not mean that cricket is a substitute for another sport. I did not say or mean that if they add cricket they cannot add other sports. What I stated was that to many Dish subs (this thread is full of these response) this is viewed (rightly or wrongly) as a substitute to something Dish keeps ignoring, other sports. Ignoring these other programs (which are important to more Dish subs than Cricket) may only lead to continued sub losses.

Again, for like the fifth time, I have nothing against cricket. Like I have stated over and over, the issue is not with Cricket it is with Dish ignoring the other variables which are causing sub losses.
Your source for this? Are the Q1 counts out? On the contrary Dish did fine in 2010. Source They are also acquiring assets of Blockbuster.
Acquiring BlockBuster's assets was another stupid move by Dish, IMO* (*meaning this is an opinion, so don't make it sound like I am pretending to be an expert). I have discussed why on the thread about this in this forum and others. If you want to know why then post in the thread about the blockbuster deal as it is not the topic of this thread.

As far as the topic I was hoping you would get to the issue of the financial reports.

Often CEO's and shareholders are blinded by profits. Of course the ultimate goal of any company is to maximize profits (which they should do), in doing so they often ignore other variables which may not maximize profits during a particular quarter or in the short run, but lead to a more successful company in the long run. These include customer variables.

Of course companies can profit while losing customers, and with companies with huge costs attributed to customers they may actually increase profits with sub loss. The problem is they cannot continue to operate like this in the long run. Eventually sub loss will be great enough to not cover other costs and profits will start to decrease.

My issue is Dish seems to ignore these huge variables that many subs desire that keep them with Dish. Yet they continue to spend money on things (even if it is not a lot) that may increase profits but not help retain subs or attract new subs. Rightly or wrongly many Dish subs view this as a spit in the face.

Last edited:
FWIW - I never took any of Dodger Kings remarks to be anymore than he wonders why Cricket is added and not the more popular US sports. I gave my feelings as to why, but he is not alone in thinking this. As Iceberg asked, probably time for us to cool it...... :)

As far as the topic I was hoping you would get to the issue of the financial reports.

Often CEO's and shareholders are blinded by profits. Of course the ultimate goal of any company is to maximize profits (which they should do), in doing so they often ignore other variables which may not maximize profits during a particular quarter or in the short run, but lead to a more successful company in the long run. These include customer variables.

Of course companies can profit while losing customers, and with companies with huge costs attributed to customers they may actually increase profits with sub loss. The problem is they cannot continue to operate like this in the long run. Eventually sub loss will be great enough to not cover other costs and profits will start to decrease.

My issue is Dish seems to ignore these huge variables that many subs desire that keep them with Dish. Yet they continue to spend money on things (even if it is not a lot) that may increase profits but not help retain subs or attract new subs. Rightly or wrongly many Dish subs view this as a spit in the face.

Agreed.

I want MLB as much as anyone else. I have a dedicated HTPC that gets me most of my MLB for now(p2p) but I'd rather have it on the tele with HD feeds. I have been to more baseball games than cricket (exactly zero) in my lifetime. But I just thought some posts were definitely on the not-so-subtle side. I don't normally post much but thought I needed to in this matter and make a stance against some of them. Sorry definitely got personal with you there in some fronts.

Lets not attack anyone personally.. I made my point few posts ago that Cricket is very popular among South Asian Community(Specially Indians) here in US and Dish already offers most number of South Asian Channels in North America . South Asian community pays anywhere from minimun $25 for two channels to $50 dollars for about 30 South Asian Channels and for most part, they are happily paying that much to get those channels as that is the only way to get it in USA. Once Dish saw India won the recently concluded Cricket world cup, they tapped into those South Asian community here in US by offering 3 Cricket dedicated channels for $20 and majority of the South Asian Subs will pay for those 3 channels without complaining as Indians love the sport. I been here is USA since 1997 and Dish subscriber since 1998. I watch NBA (Go LAKERS), NFL and MLB in same order. I also want RSN to be fully HD and want more HD national line up. By offering Cricket channles, Dish didn't hurt the cause for fully HD RSN's. Both are two separate business decisions and they have nothing to do with each other..Lets keep this thread civil and focussed on the topic and stop bashing each other personally...

Agreed.

I want MLB as much as anyone else. I have a dedicated HTPC that gets me most of my MLB for now(p2p) but I'd rather have it on the tele with HD feeds. I have been to more baseball games than cricket (exactly zero) in my lifetime. But I just thought some posts were definitely on the not-so-subtle side. I don't normally post much but thought I needed to in this matter and make a stance against some of them. Sorry definitely got personal with you there in some fronts.
:hatsoff::eek:k:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts