DISH sent me a new smartcard today

Thats a good question, from what I know the PPV's are stored on the smartcard.

Hmm Free PPV Bananza for those who get new smartcards.

Something does not seem right about that.

That's is what I was thinking someone might do. I have to order all my ppv's from the 800 number. I have no phone jack any where close.

Royal rumble is on tonight, just ordered it a minute ago.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Thats a good question, from what I know the PPV's are stored on the smartcard.

Hmm Free PPV Bananza for those who get new smartcards.

Something does not seem right about that.

Hmm, I don't know how this works on Dish receivers, but everytime DirecTV sends a new card, I believe the purchases transfers over to the new cards.

~Alan

Oops, Dish Network forgot about all those lost ppv's that may be stored on those smart cards. They may not have ever gotten the ppv's off of them anyways if the phone lines would have never been connected in the future so that is another way of looking at it. I am sure the same thing happens when DirecTv has their card swaps.

They are probably swapping older revisions of the smart cards that are able to be compromised the most or those cards that are in receivers that are more of a target of hackers. It is a wonder that they did not try to get the cards from the 7100/7200 Dishplayer receivers yet.

If you do not have Dish500 card ready on your system information screen then it probably will not be able to accept the new card. New receivers with new smart cards would have to be sent out to those customers at Dish Network's expense. They would probably try to send out 111's which is their new cheap small receiver that they have. Sounds like another situation for Dish Network.

If someone has an older receiver with UHF, dolby digital, or HD capability then Dish Network may have to fork out some money to get those customers those options on the new receivers by giving them a new 811 or DVR as a replacement. Either that or give them a UHF upgrade kit for the 111/311.

Once they get most of the new cards sent out they will slowly start to turn off the stream commands for the older blue cards. Just as D* has done with the last swap he did. I had around 15- 20 dollars worth of purchases when I changed to the 811. I thought about it after it was installed. I called and they said to not worry about it. That I would not be billed for those PPV's. They said consider it a free gift for upgrading. Hey that suits me.

There's a difference between a receiver swap and a card swap. I read elsewhere that the Dish receiver will store the smart card info on the receiver then transfer it to the new card. Don't ring up the PPVs without expecting to see them on the new card.

I was once a DHP customer. My two year old played with the remote and added 4 PPVs in 15 minutes. When I turned in the eq and bought my own eq, the PPV charges never showed on my statement.

The way the DirecTV sweap worked you went into a special mode where you put in your new card, then your old card then your new card again.

I believe this is how PPV was copied over.

I just asumed that was a way so the IRD and the card where not married. And so it would marry to the new card.

I saw a direct card after it was replaced by a new one and the swap process literally fried the chip in the card. The plastic was discolored by the heat. I don't think it worked after that.

I have noticed every once in a while some smart cards that look like they got some type of discoloration that may indicate a burn or something, but sometimes those cards would still work, so it could have been heat from the receiver causing that as well, or perhaps a surge from lightening.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Someone sent me an AVI of the Smart Card Update Channel, I have toying with putting it online, but I don't want to violate Dish Copyright.

Although I believe if we can help them make this transaction smoother for their customers it should not be a problem.

Scott, it might be helpful if you could carry the AVI. The letter sent with my smart card says: "For additional information and a visual demonstration of the replacement process, tune to channel 579 today."

Well, my receiver has no channel 579. (I have a Dish 500 receiving satellites 110 and 119.)

Jeff

I am curious if the ppv carried over to the new cards or not. I may have some people that are honest want those ppv's to be sent (some get worried).

Stargazer said:
I am curious if the ppv carried over to the new cards or not. I may have some people that are honest want those ppv's to be sent (some get worried).

You do not know, if your friends are honest or not. You may need to find new friends.

Who said they were my friends? Lol. Only a few are that honest, not the majority. Some are just paranoid afraid they would get caught so they just want to be honest about it, even if they would want to try to get away with not having to pay for them they think that they will catch them somehow and insist on knowing how to have them sent over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)