Dish sheds 102,000 subs and reports a Profit

but how is the hd pic quality? the cable co around my area has a horrible HD pic.
My Local Cable HD isn't Great. I blame that mostly on the Motorola Box, Because my Buddy has 3 Tivo Boxes and His PQ looks Quite good. But other factors at this point in time would make me choose them over D* right now. Its close race, But My Cable company has Better SD PQ then D*and Carrys Everything that D* Has except NFL ST and Hot Pass, and I can live without both. Plus they have about 60 HD Channels, Not PPV and RSN's either.

My Local Cable HD isn't Great. I blame that mostly on the Motorola Box, Because my Buddy has 3 Tivo Boxes and His PQ looks Quite good. But other factors at this point in time would make me choose them over D* right now. Its close race, But My Cable company has Better SD PQ then D*and Carrys Everything that D* Has except NFL ST and Hot Pass, and I can live without both. Plus they have about 60 HD Channels, Not PPV and RSN's either.

The moto boxes have been updated in my area, to newer models, which I am impressed.
I like the whole cable TV guide and interface, much faster than sat providers.
On Demand (free movies and shows instantly without downloading) use to be one of my favs.

102,000 is really a drop in the bucket when you think of it: foreclosures have caused people to move, economy has caused people to cut back, fios has been expanding, directtv has some great 1 year promos, etc.

The bottom line is such: some people left to get a better deal for 12 months and save money or just gave up on all cable and/or satellite services in lieu of Netflix, the PC, etc.

Also, after the AT&T agreement with Dish expired, AT&T has been working feverishly to convert their customers to Uverse and D*. I've gotten numerous calls myself, and told them "I work for Dish. I'm not the least bit interested, but thanks for asking."

Question about box swapouts.

Charlie says Dish's ballance sheet is good. Charlie says he has the best video product out there and he thinks they will chose dish over their compeition (huh why is DirecTV Plus customers and your down customers?) He said customer service is not as good. He says marketing and installs are too complicated.

He said Dish's goal in 2008 was to stop getting worse.. (huh?!) and he is now working on getting better.

He said their product is to complex for people to want to do business with them.

Question about $9.99 deal, are the phones ringing.

Charlie goes to the big picture and says that with the loss of AT&T will be a negative, but also a positive. (huh?!)
What is he saying about installs being too complicated?. On D*?
I wonder if 'Ol Chuckles has been around the D-1000+ on a windy day trying to jerry jack that dish up a fully extended 28 ft ladder..
I am flabbergasted that Charlie could cut up his competition this way
First off, if one wishes to sell their product, the thing to do is pump up your product. Using negatives about the other guy's product to make yours look better is no way to do business.
Dish is easy to install ( single wire to two tuner recivers) but the dual tuner concept is confusing to many customers.
Also Dish'd fee structure comes up as "hidden costs'. Dish allows mispeading ads to be published by rertailers. I get them every week in val-pak coupon mailers, see them in the Sunday sales papers section. The bold type gioving the lowest price for programming and the bold spalsh implying that DVR's are "free". Thye may be freeof initial cash outlay, but the reader must scan the tiny print at the bottom to get the real story.
Another thing. Dish reatilers are being allowed to sell Dish systems and leave out very important details such as phone line fees and addtional charges for installs that are not basic.
Dish has good pluses. But they also have big problems.

No. The worst recession in 70 years has nothing to do with it.:rolleyes:

The current recession IS NOT the worst recession in the last 70 years. The recession of the last years of the 70s-early 80s (Carter administration) was both more severe and lasted longer (as of today's date).

The current one may get worse, but it's not that bad yet!

You say that like the Carter administration caused the recession or why else would you even mention it. They don't just happen when the new administration takes over. It takes many years. It started during the Reagan administration, which by the way is the root of most of the financial problems today. Deregulation.

Sorry, off topic.

I am one of those 100k subscribers who left. I was a Dish customer for nearly 10 years I think.

FIOS came available in our area, high speed internet, phone and TV for cheaper than what we were paying before, and the service is overall better than Dish. The FIOS DVR is criminally short on space, but that is really my only complaint. We now have a DVR which can be watched on two TV's BOTH IN HD!!! which was a huge thing for us. Plus I don't miss the sat outages in the wind and snow (which were happening more frequently) and ABC being dark here in Seattle, and no real on demand etc etc. Add in our blazing fast new internet, and it was a no brainer.

With FIOS rolling out at a rapid pace, dish is going to have a hard time maintaining subscribers.

You shouldn't make an analogy like that. You have absolutely no proof to back up such a statement. And as a Dish sub, with a good credit rating, I take offense to that. There are just as many deadbeats that don't pay their cable or Directv bill. As long as you're lumping people together, you might as well say that only poor people buy Little Caesars pizza because they can't afford Dominos or Pizza Hut! Or better yet, only poor people become drug addicts or prostitutes. Do you want me to go on? or have I made my point?

You have no proof that my statement is not TRUE. Your opinion is noted and so is mine. MOVE ON now .

You say that like the Carter administration caused the recession or why else would you even mention it. They don't just happen when the new administration takes over. It takes many years. It started during the Reagan administration, which by the way is the root of most of the financial problems today. Deregulation.

Sorry, off topic.

I never said the Carter administration caused the recession, only that it happened (principally) during Carter's administration. It actually began in late 1977 and extended into the first few years of Reagan's administration.

It's a big reason why Carter was a one term President.

You do know that Reagan came AFTER Carter don't you?

Last edited:

Sorry, off topic.
Umm, Carter was Prez before Reagan. You might wanna crack open the history book again. Or, wait for those presidential quarters to come out!:D

If your not happy about the Fisher situation you can cancel your service an your cancelation fee will be waived.

Fisher made its own bed and now is crying because Dish didn't bow to them.
If this were an isolated incident, I would fully agree and ask that Fisher be damned to an eternal hell. However, E* brought this on themselves based on their pattern of behavior involving years of programming disputes, claims of bad faith negotiations, and yanking channels under the guise of saving the simple, dolt-like customers money from those "greedy programmers". Apparently somebody (Fisher) decided that Dish Network wasn't in a bargaining position based on their shedding customers like water like a fat man in a sauna. Fisher simply took a calculated risk of asking for Dish Network for a premium based on E*'s past history and current unfavorable status by a growing number of customers. I would like to close my statement with the following quote, "I was not surprised at all to hear that Dish lost over 100,000 customers in the last quarter of 2008. This is Dishes largest and 3rd consecutive subscriber loss for Dish Network. At least Charlie didn’t try blaming the loss on the economy and piracy as he did last time." (Greczkowski, 2009)

Dish Earnings Up. Subscribers Down | The Satellite Dish | Blog on Multichannel News - 11368

Maybe we can clone ourselves? Oh, more of our wonderful personalities to spread around this forum. We'll be so loved and admired. We'll make even more friends!

I think Ice spends a lot of time in FTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)