Dish shuts down Slingbox - Will brick all devices by 2022

Popcorn Popper Hopper with butter.:)
:popcorn

Let's all come up with Dish's new advertising jingle. I'll start.

Super Hopper!
It's a whopper of a Hopper with a popcorn popper.
Super Hopper!
With a celebrity endorsement by Cyndi Lauper.
Super Hopper!
The DVR fees are exorbitant, so you'll soon be a pauper.
Super Hopper!

:popcorn

Let's all come up with Dish's new advertising jingle. I'll start.

Super Hopper!
It's a whopper of a Hopper with a popcorn popper.
Super Hopper!
With a celebrity endorsement by Cyndi Lauper.
Super Hopper!
The DVR fees are exorbitant, so you'll soon be a pauper.
Super Hopper!
* programming subject to change at a moments notice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dish bought Sling in 2007. That's 13 years ago and they will sunset in 2 years. That gives you 15 years of using the product. Are you still using the VCR that you used 13 years ago? ;)
I was listening to SiriusXM Classic Rewind tonight, and they played When The World Is Running Down by The Police. Some of the lyrics seemed appropriate to the conversation in this thread. Here is a link: The Police - When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around Lyrics | AZLyrics.com
Enjoy! :)

Well, didn't Slingbox originally work from point to point with encryption without the using any servers in-between? That's how I remember it. If, so, Dish should just have the boxes revert to that. Perhaps the most recent boxes made under Echostar may not be capable of this due to hardware. I don't know. Of course, after Dish/Echostar acquired Slingbox, they needed servers to inject ads. That was the purpose of the servers, not as a function to stream from Slingbox to playback device.

Also, I remember that Skype used to run end to end encryption WITHOUT any servers between the two points. However, after Microsoft acquired Skype, MS changed it and routed all streams to their servers and then out to the other point. This created some problems at first (and still can) and could allow for MS to "snoop" on the streams. Skype lost its end to end, nothing in between streaming communication. BTW, the best privacy texting apps also work this way with NO servers in-between.

I personally believe that servers are not necessary in the case of even the latest Slingboxes. However, it may cost money to alter the code to allow for point to point with no server in-between, and that is likley money Dish does not want to spend. Dish does simply not care.

The problem is that Slingbox works FAR MORE RELIABLY than Dish Anywhere EVER HAS. Since the latest major updates to Dish Anywhere, I have ALWAYS had to fall back to Slingbox because DA was a MESS. I appreciate that DA has been getting better, but the idea that I will have to depend upon ONLY DA is pretty depressing when it comes to watching TV remotely.

In addition TiVo's remote viewing experience is still a MESS (even worse than DA?) of its own, and Slingbox was far too often the ONLY solution to watch TiVo remotely. Of course, I could be dead by 2022, and that would be easier than dealing with a flaky DA or TiVo App experience.

Yes- but don't hold your breath. They aren't going back to that.
Thanks for the confirmation. I was 99% sure, but I've found that the 1% of uncertainty has tripped me up in the past on occasion :). No, I am most certainly not holding my breath. I am guessing there is some sort of cost involved, like a change in the code or whatever, and Dish aint a gonna spend a no money on that at all.

Well, didn't Slingbox originally work from point to point with encryption without the using any servers in-between? That's how I remember it.

IIRC the Slingbox PC app did that. I may have some old versions lying around because I grabbed several to try and get one of them to work with a Sling Adapter. We had a member here who sleuthed out the password. But that didn't work with the Sling Adapter either. :crying

IIRC the Slingbox PC app did that. I may have some old versions lying around because I grabbed several to try and get one of them to work with a Sling Adapter. We had a member here who sleuthed out the password. But that didn't work with the Sling Adapter either. :crying

Keep us posted. I have an older Slingbox that might still support the P2P connection.

Keep us posted. I have an older Slingbox that might still support the P2P connection.

OK, I bumbled around until I found the installers I kept for the Sling Player. I have the following versions:
  1. 1.5.1
  2. 2.0-3508
  3. 2.0-4522
I'll bet they're all 32-bit versions. IIRC they all need a password, if you still have that. Isn't there some compatability mode on W10 that could be made to work for these old binaries?

OK, I bumbled around until I found the installers I kept for the Sling Player. I have the following versions:
  1. 1.5.1
  2. 2.0-3508
  3. 2.0-4522
I'll bet they're all 32-bit versions. IIRC they all need a password, if you still have that. Isn't there some compatability mode on W10 that could be made to work for these old binaries?
You could run a virtual machine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)