Dish site is down this morning

Hint: That means stop nagging us about it until then. If, after that, there's still a problem, check back. Why ? No explanation they give will pacify most. Most people are reporting everything is fine now. A few people can't, which suggests it's an ISP problem (DNS). As Scott (I think) pointed out just above, Dish can't do sh*t about that.
If this isn't shut up and take it, what is?

Is not being able to log into the Dish website really that big of deal right now? Is there something that HAS to be done today that can't be done next week? If changes to an account need to be made can't you just call Dish or ask DIRT? It's an issue for Dish of course but seems to be a pretty big non-issue for us here.

It is when the Retailer site is connected to dish.com also down and we have to get on it for our business..

And from what I can see there are still quite a few that can't get on.. Now, I am smart enough to know that this IS a DNS problem. But we need a work around that works.. I can log on to dish with my phone. So that tells me the DNS issue has settled on that device.. But I cannot use my phone to build Dish Claims on the Retailer site.. Or close out or accept work orders.. So this is a very big deal to me..

When I was in the service or working in industry the thing that my superiors and supervisors hated the most was the failure to keep them informed about problems. This website has personnel with inside connections to Dish and actual Dish employees online. The note on the home page about the problem has not been updated since yesterday afternoon. If someone would take a second to acknowledge the problem and to give a little insight as to what it is and a possible ETR it would make everyone happy.

I just loaded Firefox and still was not able to get the Dish website. I called my internet company, ERF wireless, and they told me I could not play around with DNS and keep internet service. So 2 days ago I had no problem getting the Dish Website. This is the 2nd day with no ability to get the site and no info from Dish other than a Dirt response to a PM I initiated. I , also, don't like to be told to shut up. We come here to get help and not to be bullied.
If your ISP does not wanting you touching your DNS settings I would find another ISP, as it sounds to me they could collecting data on you and selling it. Or like my ISP (COX Cable) they use the DNS to inject ads for Cox services or advertise Free HBO Preview from time to time on the top of my browser. Changing the DNS server prevents this. :)

You are free to use any DNS server you want. And in many case you can speed up your internet connection just by using a different DNS server.

You should read this webpage why you should use a different DNS server then your ISP's default DNS server.

http://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/premium-dns/

DISH had a problem is fixed the problem, which is why so many can get it. The problem now is a DNS issue with your ISP, and when properly setup with OpenDNS you should be able to get in fine. (BTW there are many other providers that provide free DNS, I use them myself as I am able to block my kids from a few sites they should not be accessing and the service is free. :)

As usual, Scott is right. I wondered why I was having no issues with the site & others were. I've been using Google DNS on a Chromebook. Change your DNS settings & things should work - I've never used my ISP (Charter) DNS settings, usually Open DNS or Google.

I followed your instruction to a T, Scott, to change the DNS on my systems.. And it didn't help.. I am well aware how to change DNS Servers. And since I am limited to the only carrier for Internet possible in my area, that can't be changed either. As I said before, I know my way around a computer.. Just haven't found a way around this yet.

If your ISP does not wanting you touching your DNS settings I would find another ISP, as it sounds to me they could collecting data on you and selling it. Or like my ISP (COX Cable) they use the DNS to inject ads for Cox services or advertise Free HBO Preview from time to time on the top of my browser. Changing the DNS server prevents this. :)

Good grief that really sucks. I have Cox too, but didn't notice this offensive behavior because I got mad at Cox DNS servers going offline and went with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead.

I followed your instruction to a T, Scott, to change the DNS on my systems.. And it didn't help.. I am well aware how to change DNS Servers. And since I am limited to the only carrier for Internet possible in my area, that can't be changed either. As I said before, I know my way around a computer.. Just haven't found a way around this yet.
When you checked your settings did you do a test to make sure you were using the new DNS settings?

You can test by going to http://www.opendns.com/welcome/

When I set mine up I had to flush my DNS cache on my laptop before the new DNS servers were in effect.

And BTW... I hope you don't think I am saying or inferring that the problem is your problem because its not. You should not need to adjust your settings to access any website... it should just work.

It might not be a DISH problem thats causing you issues now, but it was a DISH issue that caused a problem in the first place. :)

I am just offering the OpenDNS suggestion as a work around trying to help people get back to work.

Good grief that really sucks. I have Cox too, but didn't notice this offensive behavior because I got mad at Cox DNS servers going offline and went with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead.

Yup I switched off them when their mail servers went down last year, they put a bar on the top of each webpage telling me about the mail servers being down. I dont use their mail servers so I dont care and dont need to be reminded on each page. :D

That might explain why I never had any issues.I have always used google dns instead of Charter.

...ERF wireless, and they told me I could not play around with DNS and keep internet service.
I don't think they would ever know (and if they brought it up, I'd play dumb, and say "a friend told me he tweaked my computer" and just ask them how to put it back the right way). I can only guess they do metered service and think this will take away a few megabytes of data from them and even then, you'll use them to reach the DNS.

It is when the Retailer site is connected to dish.com also down and we have to get on it for our business..

I understand exactly what you're talking about. It was not working for us yesterday and we had a work order come in. Luckily I was able to access the Retailer Care site from my iPhone and see that it wasn't scheduled until this Saturday. Today everything is working just fine for us. I have been on the Portal all day without issue and even made a post asking why Dish as no announcement as to why everything was down. I still have not seen a response from them.

Once again I've lost my login and am being redirected to customersupport.dishnetwork.com This is the third time I have had this happen, with periods of connectivity in between. If any technical expert can explain to me how this intermittent behavior is a problem caused by my local DNS I'm all ears.

I can get to the site now ,but I can't login. It keeps saying the certificate is broken or not to be trusted. I selected exception to the certificate and it goes to 404 not found error. So I guess DISH doesn't want me to get in yesterday , or today and possibly tomorrow?

I can get to the site now ,but I can't login. It keeps saying the certificate is broken or not to be trusted. I selected exception to the certificate and it goes to 404 not found error. So I guess DISH doesn't want me to get in yesterday , or today and possibly tomorrow?

That's the same thing I see when I can't get in. It's intermittent with me, sometimes it works, most times not. When it doesn't work I get redirected to customersupport.dishnetwork.com and when it does work the redirect is to identity1.dishnetwork.com. The TTL for dish.com is currently 300 secs so if you really need to get in try every 5 minutes and you may get lucky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts