Dish Smart Card Swap

The biggest use of FTA receivers in the US is for tuning to 97 degrees West for free International channels that are ad-supported.

These are primarily two groups:
- Pro-Democracy Iranians who have fled the Islamic regime, and who now live in the US, primarily but not exclusively in Southern California.
- Asian-Americans

There is also a fashion channel called FTV (similar to Voom's UltraHD) which is also famous for its show "Midnight Hot".

And there are several news and propaganda channels sponsored by various national governments.

A simple comment: when inserting the card, it goes in easily if properly aligned. If inserted at even the slightest angle, the card sticks. If it sticks, ease it back out, realign it, and have another go. When inserted, wait about 3 minutes and you'll be watching your program again. Simple. :)

fitzie

Today in the mail I got new smart cards to put into my Receivers, even though on both my receivers, there are internal smart cards. Does anyone know if Dish is going to get rid of the internal smart card system and just stick to physical smart cards?

The new card you insert into the card slow will override the card built into the receiver if you have a model with the embedded smart cards.

So they are implementing new security on these new cards by requiring the smart card and receiver number to match? This is why the swap is as simple as taking the old card out and putting the new one in? If this is the case then everyone that loses a smart card will have to buy another receiver won't they whereas before we could have bought a smart card if you lost the old one or they could have married a different card with the receiver.

The new card you insert into the card slow will override the card built into the receiver if you have a model with the embedded smart cards.

Little oversimplified.

In reality, each Dish STB support two cards ( have two separate channels for that ). It's a matter of software how to support - one or both.

Activating new 722. SmartCard required?

Just received a new 722 and i'm wondering if a smartcard is required to activate it. No smart card came with the receiver and I recall reading about Dish sending out SmartCards to certain people.

I'll hold off until Friday (when the TV arrives) to activate if no smart card is required.

TIA

So Dish will allow me to activate the receiver w/o the new card? Or will the require a new one to be mailed and installed first?

You can activate first and then they'll send one. My new 722 had no card but has the onboard card Rom 241 so I won't be getting a card. Check your SysInfo. If its Rom 241 you have the latest.

So I tried putting in the Smart Card Today...

-First attempt led to an "Card Is Not Inserted Correctly" message.
-Second attempt yielded the same result.
-Third attempt, my DVR rebooted and I got no message at all. I didn't get any error message, or successful message. Am I to assume it's in correctly? I tried calling Dish to inquire about this but their outsourcing just got me no where. Damn you, "Tim".

So I tried putting in the Smart Card Today...

-First attempt led to an "Card Is Not Inserted Correctly" message.
-Second attempt yielded the same result.
-Third attempt, my DVR rebooted and I got no message at all. I didn't get any error message, or successful message. Am I to assume it's in correctly? I tried calling Dish to inquire about this but their outsourcing just got me no where. Damn you, "Tim".

Are you watching TV now?

If your DVR is working as before, then you got it right.

Not necessarily, he could be on the old card.

His case sounds like the guy earlier in the thread, where the opening in the front panel is not aligned with the actual smart card reader.

That guy was a DIY type, so he was able to remove the front panel, but not everyone is...

Yeah, my programing returned as normal after the boot. The thing is, it was working fine also before I put the new card in (there was no previous one in there). My concern was that since I got no "Successfuly card entry" message, that it didn't pick it up and two weeks from now I'm going to loose my service because of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)