DISH Started Charging State Tax

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't think NY State has a Satellite tax.
Dude your living in the 2000!.....There are few pet projects(pork) than ever.....Thats the Feds......Were talken states that just keep slashing very important programs....and there just tryen to get it back....

As for the feds......well there are some projects...real good ones that have been gutted.....But leave that for another thread.....The STATES want there money that the Feds took away.....And there slitting there own throats now....

I said Feds in my reply because that is the Country's spending engine. and they are not cutting. But if you think States are not spending money on pet projects you don't look very deep. And there are almost never actual cuts to make a budget smaller, spending does not go down. (It's possible a State or two actually have a lower budget certainly not the norm)

A smaller budget is cutting, increasing less than expected is not cutting. Cutting one project or less spending in one area and spending more on another is not cutting. As an example when Ct cuts jobs they call it a savings. It isn't. It allows them to spend that money that went to that line item, and more somewhere else. When the Town next to me cut two Firefighter jobs not one cent was saved. It was spent on other things. The budget still went up.

Reactions: navychop
Lived in Moab and they charged me state and local taxes ($2.20). moved to Idaho and only charge me the state tax ($1.68). I guess Moab or Grand County UT had a satellite tax on top of the state tax. One of the reasons I moved out of UT.

You have it too good..... Here is mine:

Taxes 04/01/16 State/Local Tax (Sales) 5.71 $5.71
Surcharges 04/01/16 OH State Surcharge 0.22 $0.22

Thanks for checking-I have had DISH for years and they never charged tax before so I think something is wrong for sure.
Lived in Moab and they charged me state and local taxes ($2.20). moved to Idaho and only charge me the state tax ($1.68). I guess Moab or Grand County UT had a satellite tax on top of the state tax. One of the reasons I moved out of UT.
Here are 3 red states?............

The headline should be New York started charging Sales Tax, it has nothing to do with Dish deciding to tax you.

In Florida, we have a pretty high tax on Dish Satellite, I would say about 14 percent. But then we don't have an income tax and no $20 tolls for bridges and tunnels, or high property taxes.

Florida rapes us:
Taxes
04/04/16 Communications Services Tax 3.72
04/04/16 State/Local Tax (Sales) 1.96
04/04/16 Video Gross Receipts Tax 0.97
04/04/16 State Special Tax 0.13
$6.78
TV $73.77

And you are complaining about $1.28 tax. I only get Dish AMERICA and pay $6.78 monthl, which is $81.36 per year. Gesh!

Last edited:
I thought FL taxed direct to home satellite at just 11+ percent with no extra local tax?
The headline should be New York started charging Sales Tax, it has nothing to do with Dish deciding to tax you.

In Florida, we have a pretty high tax on Dish Satellite, I would say about 14 percent. But then we don't have an income tax and no $20 tolls for bridges and tunnels, or high property taxes.

It used to be 11.44 percent with no local tax on DBS. Don't know if that's changed lately or not. I know they changed the communication tax rate for some things. I just don;t know bout DBS service. I suspect DBS customers are still getting hosed compared to cable customers. :)

Enough politics! Every post of yours whines about the left.

Also, You can't live in a state who elected a CEO of a Health care company that paid over $1 billion in fines for Medicare fraud and claim you have a pure state.

Reactions: AZ.
Enough politics! Every post of yours whines about the left.

Also, You can't live in a state who elected a CEO of a Health care company that paid over $1 billion in fines for Medicare fraud and claim you have a pure state.
First you say "Enough politics" but then you launch into a bitter criticism of our Governor who happens to be a Republican? Shame on you!

Reactions: navychop
I thought FL taxed direct to home satellite at just 11+ percent with no extra local tax?

It used to be 11.44 percent with no local tax on DBS. Don't know if that's changed lately or not. I know they changed the communication tax rate for some things. I just don;t know bout DBS service. I suspect DBS customers are still getting hosed compared to cable customers. :)
Florida is weird, it taxes me on the full list price of Dish Service, not on the real discounted amount that I actually pay to Dish. Because of that I am actually paying more than 18 percent rate.

I don't like that Ohio doesn't charge cable users a tax, only satellite users.
Cable subscribers pay a Franchise fee and community service fees which are supposed to go to defray costs of regulations and provide for local communications, but in reality it's nothing more than a local tax for most subscribers. Satellite customers do not pay Franchise fees nor community service fees.

Let's face it, telephone and cable/sat bills are the easiest thing in the world to tax and collect. For politicians, the name of the game is to get as much of your buck with not much cluck.

And if you are in the underground economy, you still have to pay, even if you don't pay your other taxes.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)