Dish still installing legacy LNBs?

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
I have a 61.5 dish install scheduled for next week. Getting it free since I have locals on 61.5. I currently have a Dish 500 with legacy LNBs and an SW64. Will they install a legacy Dish 300? If they only have DP equipment, I'll assume they'll need to swap out my SW64, since I have 4 receivers?

I think that they will continue to install both legacy and dp lnbs depending on the active receivers on your accout.

I know that when I had an install done a little over a year ago they installed a dish 500 twin legacy because I had my 3800 receiver active and not my 301. Had I had my 301 active instead of the 3800 they probably would have installed dp eq.

Once we go mpeg4 they will probably replace the legacy lnbs when they replace our receivers.

So I'll assume they may install a Dish 300 with a legacy lnbf for 61.5? I currently have an 811, 510, 508 and 501. Should I order the Voom channels while the installer is there? Or is it safe to assume if I get the additional local channels, they'll be no problem seeing the Voom channels?

dont24 said:
Should I order the Voom channels while the installer is there? Or is it safe to assume if I get the additional local channels, they'll be no problem seeing the Voom channels?
I'd wait until after he is gone :)

dont24 said:
So I'll assume they may install a Dish 300 with a legacy lnbf for 61.5? I currently have an 811, 510, 508 and 501. Should I order the Voom channels while the installer is there? Or is it safe to assume if I get the additional local channels, they'll be no problem seeing the Voom channels?
You'll see them on the 811, not the SD receivers. They should show up in red in the EPG, until you order them.

As for what they will use, it really depends on the setup

When I had my must carry added a couple years ago, I had 4 receivers and a Legacy quad. At the time, I was dumb and didnt know about this stuff so I told him to add it to 2 receivers

Added a dual and a couple SW21's

I know when they added the must carry for my dad, he had 3 receivers and a Legacy quad. They swapped it out for a DP34 and DishPro even though I told them to add it to only one receiver. The installer insisted on adding it to all

Iceberg said:
I know when they added the must carry for my dad, he had 3 receivers and a Legacy quad. They swapped it out for a DP34 and DishPro even though I told them to add it to only one receiver. The installer insisted on adding it to all

DP44 and Dishpro lnbf's would be nice :) I'll ask the installer about it. The CSR did tell me any additonal hardware needed is free of charge.

Legacy twins aren't available to E* techs unless they take it off another house during an upgrade. With that in mind I still carry legacy duals and switches, leg quads, and DP twins, duals, dp21, quads daily, and dp34 daily. I don't always carry DPP gear unless my work demands it.

Were I installing 61.5 I'd use a dish 500 with a single bracket (instead of the Y bracket) or a 24" dish if I could get one to help get more signal (12* elevation here).

I, too, have a good supply of legacy equipment.

I also have a few Dish300 and a few KTI "D" tube arms that fit most 18 inch dish pans, excepting those made by Sony and Winegard.

For a lot of customers, the lagacy stuff really makes sense. I almost never have problems with legacy twins with one or two receivers and a Dish500. SW21s are very reliable, if you keep them out of the weather amd use good connectors.

Also, legacy twins and quads are ideal for those people in older houses, who still have nominal length runs of rg59.

Don't expect local dealers to have manu, if any, Dish300s in stock, even used. They are using Dish500s.

I have an old Dish 300 sitting in my garage. No lnbf. Maybe I'll see if he can use it.

500/300 dish never mattered to me, either one seems to work fine

*and no, the skew doesn't matter using a 500 as a 300*

I inherited my Legacy Dish 500 Twin setup from the previous homeowner.

Right now I have a 811 and 4700.

I bought a 942 which arrived today.

Tomorrow a tech is coming out to do two things: Add a 61.5 Dish and Install the 942.

Now, I've hooked everything up except the RG6 cable and power to the 942, I've disconnected the 4700 which will be removed from my account, and moved the 811 to a smaller HD set.

There were a few reasons I did not hook the RG6 cable up to the 942. First, there are DPPLus logos on the receiver and I just was not sure if it could handle legacy. Second, I read in the forums that if you don't connect both inputs the 942 does not work properly. Lastly, I can't use the DPPlus separateor that came with the 942 because I have a legacy 500.

In the end, I want the following:

Ability to have 3 receivers work in the house (not right now, but allow for growth). One will be a 942, so that is 4 tuners. All have to be able to receive 110, 119 and 61.5.

I really don't understand, and I'm still going to read more, the difference between the DP 500 Twin, DP Plus 500 Twin and the DP 500 Quad. Also, is there are DP Plus 500 Quad? Anyway, all these different versions confuse me.

Can someone explain and offer some oppinions on what the best setup would be for what I want?

Thanks

Alright, probably gonna confuse ya', but here goes.
You can use:
Legacy LNB & switches on DPP, DP, & Legacy rcvr's
DP LNB's & switches on DP & DPP rcvr's, lnb's, & switches
DPP LNB's & switches on DPP & DP rcvr's

So, for your 942, 811, & 4700 to be pointed at 110, 119, & 61.5, you will need 3 legacy dual's, a legacy 64sw & 2 dishes (It has to be legacy equipment because of the 4700). You will need 2 lines from the 64sw to the 942, and 1 line apiece to the 811 and 4700.

With your 4700 model rcvr deactivated, I doubt your installer will be paid to hook that up, so don't expect him to deal with it. He could use just a DPPLNB and a DP dual with 2 dishes, and only one line to your 811, and one to your 942 (where it could be seperated.)

Thanks

Ok, for the sake or argument, let's say I will have the 942, and two 811's and all need 110, 119 and 61.5.

They added my 61.5 to my legacy Dish 500 last January to pick up a few locals. My 500 is a bit challenging to get to, so the installer added a SW64 and used a 500 dish with one dual LNBF (didn't have a 300). I added Voom as soon as I could. Works like a champ!

This arrangement provides the 4 outputs necessary to support the 1-942 & 2-811's you mentioned.

I just wish I could lease a 942!

da Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)